Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Selling the S10. Buying a Z or a Goat. I need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:57 PM
teh_ginger

Good god...so many fuking idiots on this forum. I don't even care what car the OP gets...whatever floats your boat...but there are some things that definitely need to be set straight.

*WARNING* THIS POST CONTAINS MANY FACTS AND A LITTLE BIT OF 5TH GRADE MATH...THE STUPID PEOPLE ARE ENCOURAGED NOT TO READ IT

Fact...the motor is an LS series and is NOT a "Pontiac engine". It's GM's best motor and it can be found in everything from Cadillacs to Chevy's to Holdens to Pontiacs to Vauxhalls. How many 400hp V8's do you know of that get 25+MPG on the highway?

Fact...this car is not rare because it didn't sell well or because it's ugly. It's rare because over a 3 year period, only around 30k were imported. In case you don't know, there are about 5x as many 350z's running around. And YES, that's right boys and girls. The car is as foreign as your precious 350z. It was not EVER manufactured in the good old U S of A. It's an import straight out of Australia.

Fact...fuel economy is NOT that bad. If you aren't a little poseur who bought the 350z just to look cool, your foot's going to be planted a large majority of the time and your mileage isn't going to be that much better. I'd say 5MPG max....WHOOPTY FREAKIN DOOOO! If you manage a consistent 5MPG advantage for all 20 gallons of gas in your gas tank, that's 100 extra miles per tank. Then factor in how often you go through a tank of gas...I last for about 2 weeks. So that's 2600 miles that you don't get in a year. Now, if you're averaging 20mpg like some of you claim, that's 400 miles per tank of gas. 2600/400 = 6.5 extra fill ups per year. Take the average gas price of $3.50 x 20 gallons x 6.5 = $455 additional dollars you'll be spending on gas given ABSOLUTELY OPTIMAL conditions. Was that so fuking hard to figure out...all you people moaning and bitching about some dumb gas argument???

Fact...the Vauxhall Monaro VXR8 outperformed the BMW E46 M3 around Top Gear's test track. How's that for shitty handling? With a simple $500 bushings upgrade and a Hotchkis sway bar, these cars are deadly efficient around a track. No, they won't provide you with the same level of confidence as a 350z, but what do you expect from a completely practical, 2+2 3700lb sport coupe.

Fact...most of you will NEVER see a road course in your life. Most of you will drive on straight or uncurvy roads 99% of the time. And the roads that you do call curvy are an absolute joke to the roads I have practically in my back yard. When you're in a GTO and want to put a **** eating grin on your face, you don't have to drive out of your way to some backroad....you just nail the throttle. And trust me, 400hp is a blast. And with a 6.0 V8, there's so much more where that came from...if you're a mod junky, this car won't leave you wanting.

Fact...all you fanboi's are fuking morons. The GTO will beat a 350Z in a straight line. If you really think 287hp (or 300hp if you get the 35th Anniversary) is going to give you the same rush of acceleration as 400hp and 400lb.ft then you're too far gone for logic, reason, facts and anything else I have to say to actually help you. (And don't bring up the 07's with the HR motor...the OP can't afford one so it's out of the question)

Everything, beyond all of these points is absolutely subjective and/or will vary on a case by case basis including appearance and reliability. And that's about all I have to say about that.

Last edited by teh_ginger; 04-08-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:15 PM
teh_ginger

For those thinking it doesn't turn heads, you're just flat out wrong. I get tons of looks from PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW ABOUT CARS. Any other looks, I can give absolutely two ***** about. I get more random compliments and strangers coming up to me to talk about the car than I ever did with my old M3. Don't let all the stupid *** magazine articles from back in the day fool you...contrary to what those pencil pushing automotive journalists had to say, people love this car.

Here's mine back when I got it...

Here's me gettin on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_QCU...eature=related

And here's how good you can make them look with something as simple as wheels...albeit $3600 wheels.

Last edited by teh_ginger; 04-08-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:18 PM
teh_ginger

Now look, I'm not trying to stir up trouble. I know this a 350z forum, and the bias for that car naturally exists. But the blind, ignorant, factually devoid and unsupported comments I think we can all do without.

Both cars have their pluses and minuses...their pros and cons. Let's try to be car enthusiasts here...not retarded 3rd grade fanbois.
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:29 PM
Clamps

My friend has an '04 GTO, and it is an awesome car. Granted it looks like a Grand Prix, but pretty much every time I ride in the car somebody has something good to say about it. Tonight, just to prove a point to me, he was driving it real easy through the city and was getting 22-24 MPG, and 27 on the highway. That is pretty much the same as my Z. I really thought about getting a GTO before the Z. What made me get the Z was that it looks so much more stylish and exotic, and the fact that the Z is fast enough, anything faster would just get me in trouble. That is something you should think about being young man, I know I do everyday. If you screw up your driving record, you're stuck with crappy insurance rates for a long time, and kiss having a really cool car goodbye. In the end the decision is all up to you man.
Old 04-08-2008 | 08:32 PM
Clamps

Those are awesome pics man, that's my biggest GTO complaint is the stock wheels, but it doesn't stop the nonstop compliments my buddy gets. All he has done is black LED tails, HID headlights and fog lights, and put Flowmasters on it. Oh and **** retentive cleaning.
Old 04-08-2008 | 09:42 PM
2003DropTopGT

Originally Posted by porschefan1013
For those thinking it doesn't turn heads, you're just flat out wrong.
Totally agree. I've gotten PLENTY of looks on the freeway, just because it is a car you don't see every day.

The only con I can think of for the GTO is the keyfob. It's so bulky and ugly, even with the "thumb" insert

Hey I've seen that picture as a signature I think. Do you post on ls2gto?

*edit: Btw, beautiful goat. IBM + 06 tails looks perfect imo. Nice wheels too

Last edited by 2003DropTopGT; 04-08-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2008 | 10:24 PM
teh_ginger

Thanks man! And yes, that's me...the one and only. I really need to take some new pictures to show off the satin black grills, insert and racemesh lower grille cover. But I'm going to be putting on the Monaro front bumper and CV8Z wheels in the next month or so, so I don't really feel like bothering.

It's nice to see another goat owner floating around in these shark infested waters.
Old 04-08-2008 | 10:29 PM
bhendjol
achoooooo
Premier Member

Good god...so many fuking idiots on this forum. I don't even care what car the OP gets...whatever floats your boat...but there are some things that definitely need to be set straight.

*WARNING* THIS POST CONTAINS MANY FACTS AND A LITTLE BIT OF 5TH GRADE MATH...THE STUPID PEOPLE ARE ENCOURAGED NOT TO READ IT

Fact...the motor is an LS series and is NOT a "Pontiac engine". It's GM's best motor and it can be found in everything from Cadillacs to Chevy's to Holdens to Pontiacs to Vauxhalls. How many 400hp V8's do you know of that get 25+MPG on the highway?

Fact...this car is not rare because it didn't sell well or because it's ugly. It's rare because over a 3 year period, only around 30k were imported. In case you don't know, there are about 5x as many 350z's running around. And YES, that's right boys and girls. The car is as foreign as your precious 350z. It was not EVER manufactured in the good old U S of A. It's an import straight out of Australia.

Fact...fuel economy is NOT that bad. If you aren't a little poseur who bought the 350z just to look cool, your foot's going to be planted a large majority of the time and your mileage isn't going to be that much better. I'd say 5MPG max....WHOOPTY FREAKIN DOOOO! If you manage a consistent 5MPG advantage for all 20 gallons of gas in your gas tank, that's 100 extra miles per tank. Then factor in how often you go through a tank of gas...I last for about 2 weeks. So that's 2600 miles that you don't get in a year. Now, if you're averaging 20mpg like some of you claim, that's 400 miles per tank of gas. 2600/400 = 6.5 extra fill ups per year. Take the average gas price of $3.50 x 20 gallons x 6.5 = $455 additional dollars you'll be spending on gas given ABSOLUTELY OPTIMAL conditions. Was that so fuking hard to figure out...all you people moaning and bitching about some dumb gas argument???

Fact...the Vauxhall Monaro VXR8 outperformed the BMW E46 M3 around Top Gear's test track. How's that for shitty handling? With a simple $500 bushings upgrade and a Hotchkis sway bar, these cars are deadly efficient around a track. No, they won't provide you with the same level of confidence as a 350z, but what do you expect from a completely practical, 2+2 3700lb sport coupe.

Fact...most of you will NEVER see a road course in your life. Most of you will drive on straight or uncurvy roads 99% of the time. And the roads that you do call curvy are an absolute joke to the roads I have practically in my back yard. When you're in a GTO and want to put a **** eating grin on your face, you don't have to drive out of your way to some backroad....you just nail the throttle. And trust me, 400hp is a blast. And with a 6.0 V8, there's so much more where that came from...if you're a mod junky, this car won't leave you wanting.

Fact...all you fanboi's are fuking morons. The GTO will beat a 350Z in a straight line. If you really think 287hp (or 300hp if you get the 35th Anniversary) is going to give you the same rush of acceleration as 400hp and 400lb.ft then you're too far gone for logic, reason, facts and anything else I have to say to actually help you. (And don't bring up the 07's with the HR motor...the OP can't afford one so it's out of the question)

Everything, beyond all of these points is absolutely subjective and/or will vary on a case by case basis including appearance and reliability. And that's about all I have to say about that.

cliffs, porscheboi?
Old 04-08-2008 | 10:44 PM
teh_ginger

Originally Posted by bhendjol
cliffs, porscheboi?
It's worth the read!

In a nutshell:

The LS2 is the shiznit

The GTO is rare due to the limited number that were imported...yes IMPORTED (not made in America) from Australia...not because it's "fugly".

The fuel economy argument is a moot point. The 350z has a minimal advantage.

GTO's can handle quite well.

People don't drive on race tracks or curvy roads the majority of the time...it's about that straight line or sideways adrenaline rush.

GTO pwns 350z in a straight line

E.L.E.
Old 04-08-2008 | 11:19 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I'm with you on this one... There is one group of import owners I meet up with when I get the chance (a rarity these days with my workload). They are made up of 350Z, S2K, & Lexus owners and for the most part, a great group. We mostly just hit different sports bars, etc. and talk story.

I've been to a couple domestics meets (mainly F-body groups). Although fun to talk with, they are heavily in to the organized street racing thing. Which is one thing I will not and cannot get involved with.
I found the same thing to be true around here. On the LS1 meets the guys just want to drive fast and end up speeding 20mph+ over the posted. My wife and I do not like that type of touring. So, we quit that group.
Don't get me wrong I hammer my F-Bird on the track and occasionally in the mountains away from everything and everybody. But, to have 20 cars blasting from point a to point b is crazy.

Then I met up with two different Z touring groups. They both drive close to or within the speed limit and when the road open up they might pick it up a little bit but they aren't as crazy as the V8 crowd for some reason. Generally, the fast ones go way up front and 75% of the rest of us just cruise and have a peaceful time. Now, the track crowd is every bit as serious about getting their car around the track the fastest they can.

I agree there is a big difference in these two car crowds.

I wish there was more strips / road courses open year around so that we could test all our stuff out. The closest track to me is over 50 miles away. So the mileage plus entry fee, any one night a week for 3 runs makes for $100 night to get 40secs of fun. Little crazy if you ask me. So, I have pretty much quit racing my Z and Bird on the track too. Instead I do test n tune on Friday nights. That give me 25-30 runs for a little more money. However, that is about 100 miles away. I have to trailer that 800HP car since it drinks too much gas to be a daily driver but, it seems to be more worth while to me. Yes it ends up costing $150 a night but I get up to 30 runs instead of 3. Heck I can't even get a real feel for the car in 3 runs. Especially if your trying to work out tuning issues.

So, to say I'm discussed with our ability to enjoy our sport/hobby is an understatement. But, maybe that will change over time back to the way it was when Fremont Drags were around. It was only 15 miles from my house and I could get in 20-25 runs in a night. Those were the days. Then only 100 or so cars would run. Now there is a larger interest and 300+ cars end up showing up on any one night now. Just not enough tracks to handle this all.

I'm serious about my racing. Just so you don't think I'm pulling your leg. Check out what were building now. 800HP 680lbs. Our hobby car:

Here is a more recent shot. Plan is to hit the tracks with it first of next month. Like I said tuning:

Last edited by Z_Driver; 04-08-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2008 | 09:58 AM
Whyzed

Thank you for all these useful comments. I'd reply to each of you, but this thread is very active.

I also agree with the fact that the GTO is underrated in the field of aesthetics. I can't wait until I get a call from the dealer telling me that they have a 6.0L 6MT in stock so I can test drive it back to back with the Z.

The only concern I have is this: Will the '07-'08 350Z handle much different than the '03-'05? I would have to assume the dealer will have mostly if not all new models. I just want to have a fair comparison.
Old 04-09-2008 | 10:29 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Whyzed
Thank you for all these useful comments. I'd reply to each of you, but this thread is very active.

I also agree with the fact that the GTO is underrated in the field of aesthetics. I can't wait until I get a call from the dealer telling me that they have a 6.0L 6MT in stock so I can test drive it back to back with the Z.

The only concern I have is this: Will the '07-'08 350Z handle much different than the '03-'05? I would have to assume the dealer will have mostly if not all new models. I just want to have a fair comparison.
Handling will be a slight bit better because of new shocks (as in brand new), and I believe a bit of a re-dampening occurred in 2006. The power will be the only real difference....the 07 has more.
Old 04-09-2008 | 11:14 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

If you do a back to back comparision between the two. Just don't let the power of the GTO only win you over. Very easy for me to do. Take the Z on a mountain road and really go for it. Then take the GTO on the same mountain road. The torque will feel good coming out of the corners in a GTO. But, you can brake later going into a corner with the Z and hit the gas sooner coming out. Just two different ways to do it.

If you want the extra room and this is your only car you might end up getting the GTO. Nothing wrong with that. It's a great car ....

Check your insurance.... You looking at a two seat sports car vs. four seat performance sedan. That might make a big difference to you. It used to be the sole reason I staying away from the Z's when I was younger. Now, it doesn't seem to make much difference as I get older it's levelled out some on the insurance differences.

Good luck !!!!
Old 04-11-2008 | 08:30 AM
ed350

Both nice car what ever you gonna get...and be happy..compare with your lifestyle..If you have a kid then get the gto..for me kid or no kid Z for life...
Old 04-12-2008 | 02:52 PM
Whyzed

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
If you do a back to back comparision between the two. Just don't let the power of the GTO only win you over. Very easy for me to do. Take the Z on a mountain road and really go for it. Then take the GTO on the same mountain road. The torque will feel good coming out of the corners in a GTO. But, you can brake later going into a corner with the Z and hit the gas sooner coming out. Just two different ways to do it.

If you want the extra room and this is your only car you might end up getting the GTO. Nothing wrong with that. It's a great car ....

Check your insurance.... You looking at a two seat sports car vs. four seat performance sedan. That might make a big difference to you. It used to be the sole reason I staying away from the Z's when I was younger. Now, it doesn't seem to make much difference as I get older it's levelled out some on the insurance differences.

Good luck !!!!
I'll try to not let the power be the only deciding factor, but this is the main difference between the two cars besides the looks.

Thanks for your two cents.

Originally Posted by ed350
Both nice car what ever you gonna get...and be happy..compare with your lifestyle..If you have a kid then get the gto..for me kid or no kid Z for life...
I do not have a kid, no, but the back seat probably won't be a huge deciding factor for me.
Old 04-12-2008 | 03:40 PM
Pinky Demon

Damn!

That GTO is nice! I wouldn't mine getting a black one and then smoking some of the stuff out.

Nice. Gas mileage is still a factor for me though, but that's why I'm buying a 4 banger with a supercharger / turbo.

If I could, I would take the GTO easy.
Old 04-12-2008 | 05:02 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
Nice. Gas mileage is still a factor for me though, but that's why I'm buying a 4 banger with a supercharger / turbo.
Which factory turbo/SC 4 cylinder do you have in mind, which would get better mileage than the GTO?
Old 04-13-2008 | 07:45 AM
Pinky Demon

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Which factory turbo/SC 4 cylinder do you have in mind, which would get better mileage than the GTO?
Cobalt SS Supercharged.