Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Biggest ticket received by cop

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 07:02 PM
perucho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Biggest ticket received by cop

I keep reading all of these guys talking about going 130mph and over. My question to you is: What was the fastest you were going on your Z AND got caught by a cop?

Also, how much was the ticket for? I thought you would get arrested or hanged after like 50mph over the speed limit or something
Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Ricky
Banned

It depends on the circumstance of the speed in alot of cases. Here in virginia if you are caught doubling the speed limit or higher, and it seems you are "racing", they can even seize your car forever, but if it's in the countryside, it's just wreckless.. just fyi.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:37 PM
labshark7

I have been wreckless my entire driving career.

Here in AZ, driving 20 mph. over is "RECKless" regardless of the posted speed limit.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:59 PM
SD350ZEE

85 in a 65,

then I got exhibition of speed for racing my friend,

BOH!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:20 AM
j's350z

Default Funny Story

On the way home from my road trip from Florida to New Jersey, I got pulled over for speeding about 15mins from my house. I got a ticket from the trooper who said I was doing 88 in a 55. The messed up thing is my Valentine 1 never went off so I think he was bs'ing... Anyway, I had my car numerous times on that 1300 mile trip from 130-150mph. I have a trooper friend so its getting knocked down to a 2pt ticket instead of a 5pt. The funny part is that I never got caught doing 150. oh well.....
Old 07-09-2003, 10:36 AM
neohalo1

It is within your rights to ask to see the radar gun to verify the speed. If they cannot produce the gun with your speed, then you can't get a ticket--from what I have been told from another cop.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:22 AM
jnebill

Default I think the appropriate question is...

How much time did you serve?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:24 AM
N74DV

here in AZ anything 85mph and over is "Criminal"

not 85 over but 85mph. Whcih sucks because the interstates have a 75mph limit and if you go 10 over it's a criminal ticket
Old 07-09-2003, 11:26 AM
N74DV

Originally posted by neohalo1
It is within your rights to ask to see the radar gun to verify the speed. If they cannot produce the gun with your speed, then you can't get a ticket--from what I have been told from another cop.
not true... the cop is not bound by law to show the speed reading on the radar unit.

Most cops don't lock the speed in anyway because they prefer to use the tracking method which lets them see the speed in real time to view any changes in speed which helps them figure which car is the target.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:03 PM
peptidbond

In Ohio, if you ask to see the gun, it is law. You can also request that the cop calibrate the gun in front of you. They do it with a tuning fork of all things. Trust me, I have used this a couple times. However, ONLY ASK IF HE HAS ALREADY HANDED YOU THE TICKET. If you ask before he decides to give you a ticket, it will practically guarantee that you will get one.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:08 PM
drew703

well I dont have my Z just yet, but just in case anyone is speeding in VA...another piece of advice - don't go over 90!!!
This was in my 2001 1.8T jetta, and I got caught in fairfax, right on 395 before Springfield, doing about 110 in a 55 zone
I was 18 at the time, so i knew i was gonna be screwed- no juvenile traffic court for that one. The officer approached my car, and swore I must have been drinking, or else why the hell was i going so fast..I told him I was just trying to get home, (which actually was sorta the truth...) But i definitely wasn't drinking. He gave me a ticket, told me to bring a toothbrush because I was going to Jail after my court date!! So i had to get a lawyer, the whole deal, and show up to fairfax county court. My lawyer didnt look happy that day, and straight up told me - Son there are 8 judges working the docket today - and 7 of them will send you to jail for this. So im totally shocked and ask him what the deal was...apparently in VA every MPH over 90 you go, is supposed to be a NIGHT IN JAIL! so you can imagine how screwed i was! But I guess I was in luck that day, I got THE ONE judge who my lawyer knew, and could at least argue some on my behalf, and I got off with 180 hours of community service, 8hr driver improvement class and a $250 fine. But because it was my first ticket, and i was a college student of good standing academically, i didn't lose my license. Anyways to make a long story short, be careful speeing in VA.

-drew
Old 07-09-2003, 12:22 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by neohalo1

That is complete ******** dude..A cop can give you a speeding ticket based on his visual observations alone..A cop is trained to observe vehicle speeds and guesstimate how fast you were going based on his training and experiences.Showing you a radar gun is by no means manditory you can request to see it but the explination you will get is that for your own personal safety he would request you remained in your vehicle or that he is not required by law to show you the rarar gun..And the truth being that if he did show you a radar gun displaying 85mph how do "you" know that reading was from your vehicle or not..
There is also another way of determining speed, its called "pacing". In which the cop follows your vehicle(usually in your blind spot or several lanes over)at a constant distance to determine your speed.Basic physics: cop+80mph/you+90mph=you pulling away from cop=you get ticket for at least 80mph...this does hold up in court better than radar guns...P.S. radar detectors dont help wen your are doing 130mph...or any speed for that matter.By the time you react to your radar detector the cop got you locked in unless he was sleeping or eating dohnuts...
Old 07-09-2003, 01:20 PM
neohalo1

daking350--relax! If you read what I wrote, I said "from what I was told from another cop"

Maybe he wasn't a cop? I don't know. I do know that in some states it is law to show the gun upon request-as mentioned.

Perhaps it's coincidence, but my dad just last week was pulled over for speeding and the officer said "I radared you at 78..."
He asked to see the gun and the officer came back with a warning. Maybe he was feeling nice
Old 07-09-2003, 02:34 PM
350zdanny

daking -

you are wrong about radar detectors. if the cop shoots a car a little ways in front of you first, which he will, the detector will pick up the radar and go off. you have a window of opportunity to at least slow up a bit.

j's350 -

shoot me a PM and tell me about the ticket. i may be able to help you get 0 points.

-dan
Old 07-09-2003, 03:38 PM
daking350
Banned

Originally posted by 350zdanny
daking -

you are wrong about radar detectors. if the cop shoots a car a little ways in front of you first, which he will, the detector will pick up the radar and go off. you have a window of opportunity to at least slow up a bit.

j's350 -

shoot me a PM and tell me about the ticket. i may be able to help you get 0 points.

-dan
That depends if he is using Doppler K55 or laser radar..Doppler wil pick up the largest,fastest,closest object in that order so if your radar goes off that does not mean he got the car in front of you.Ex. if the car in front is doing 65 and 100 yards from the radar source and you are comming up on that car at say 125 yards doing 85..The radar will pick up the faster speed if both vehicals are equal in size and the cop can visually see that you are gaining on the front car and therefore get you at 85..Forget it if a large truck is in the area it will get the truck first..Motorcycles are almost impossible unless there are very few cars on the road..
as for laser , it is car specific and if your radar detector picks up laser it is almost 99% of the times because it just hit your front bumper calculating your speed..and therefor giving you no reaction time..laser is very precise and the beam is very narrow..However some cars such as Saturns and Corvettes are harder to get due to the high content of plastic to absorb and deflect the beam giving false or inaccurate readings..Hope this helps..
Old 07-09-2003, 04:26 PM
sunset350lemans

DAKING350 is absolutely correct. Doppler radar is a constant signal and the newer more advanced radar guns can select vehicles based upon which one is traveling fastest.
Laser on the other hand is vehicle specific and no beam is produced until the officer targets a vehicle based on tracking history and pulls the trigger(hand held unit). IMO radar detectors are completely useless and a waste of money. If you are traveling at an eccesive rate of speed (100mph or more)where you actually need one it might only give you a split secound to react reducing your ticket by a few dollars if any.
As for the requirement of the officer to show you the radar unit it is based solely on a state by state bases!!! It is not a federal law!!!! So don't **** off the officer and guarantee yourself a ticket if you do not know the state law. Most officers will tell you to go pound sand if you ask something like that. You might as well just write the ticket yourself. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:59 PM
fresno350

Default california

california is one state where the cops dont have to show you the radar gun. they go to school for, and are authorized to give you a ticket if they "think" you were exceeding the speed limit. the school they go to teaches them to judge speed visually. i dont know about other states though
Old 07-09-2003, 05:54 PM
gooters

Its not like that in TX. A cop here cannot just look at your car and write you a ticket...unless he is pacing you from his cruiser. Thank goodness, our cops are hardarses enough!

That speed judgement school and method of ticket writing seems like total bullcrap to me...I would hate that!
Old 07-09-2003, 06:44 PM
350zdanny

Daking -

I see your point about doppler and agree, yet my radar detector picks up the "field"emmitted well before I am in the range of the gun. With laser, that is obviously another issue, and I am not sure if it works well or at all, but NJ cops do not have an abundance of laser guns yet. They only use the lasers on select parts of the parkway and turnpike (hotzones i guess?), and they divulge that info for legal reasons I guess.

This is all a mute point anyway. In NJ a great deal of speed traps are on the blind side of overpasses or utility roads. Therefore, the doppler is picked up before the cop has a visual of your car. I usually get a 10 - 15 second window at 80-90mph, which makes all the difference because 90% of the time NJ cops don't pull you over for sub 80 speeds.

sunset350lemans -

why are radar detectors useless unless you're going 100+? Technically, 66 mph breaks every speed limit in NJ. I can attest to the fact that my $400 radar detector has saved me from at least 10 stops. I usually don't get tickets anyway because of my father's profession, but had I been ticketed 3 times out of those 10, I would have paid around $2000 in tickets and surcharges. Seems like a nice deal to me, but that's only my opinion, and it's my $400 so you can't argue there.

Dan
Old 07-09-2003, 06:58 PM
67 Demon

I TOTALLY agree with gooters!!! That is completely BS that a cop is trained WELL ENOUGH to GUESSTIMATE speed. I would almost bet that a cop couldnt go 5/10 in GUESSTIMATING within +/- 5mph of a persons speed. BUT, i do agree with daking350's remarks concerning the use of different radar guns!!

Quick Reply: Biggest ticket received by cop