Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z running without oil for 2 month/ F@ck Nissan!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
malibuboy54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i forget where i read this, but aren't you supposed to check your oil everytime you fill up gas? if you loss 3qt, that's pretty substantial, and even if the leak was minor, you'd see it wherever you parked for more than 20min...
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
It's not the dealership's fault that you don't check your oil. It's your car, not theirs.

There might also be an oil consumption problem with your engine, but you would never know since you never check the oil.

Wrong. It is the dealerships fault for not installing the plug wrong and causing him to lose oil. The dealership or shop is responsible for replacing the engine now. This is the main reason why people get their oil changed at the dealer or shop to have a receipt to prove it was changed if anything ever happened to that engine.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Carbon-Z
Sleeps in 350Z

There is no reason for people to check their oil these days. Cars of today just do not BURN oil. If it's burning oil you have a problem. Change it every 3000-5000 miles and you will be fine on most engines.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carbon-Z
Wrong. It is the dealerships fault for not installing the plug wrong and causing him to lose oil. The dealership or shop is responsible for replacing the engine now. This is the main reason why people get their oil changed at the dealer or shop to have a receipt to prove it was changed if anything ever happened to that engine.
There is no reason for people to check their oil these days. Cars of today just do not BURN oil. If it's burning oil you have a problem. Change it every 3000-5000 miles and you will be fine on most engines.

really? that is called routine mantienance, and it is even in the owner's manual

CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply
parking brake.
2. Run the engine until it reaches operating
temperature.
3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 10
minutes for the oil to drain back into the
oil pan.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Reinsert
it all the way.
5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil
level. It should be between the H and L
marks. If the oil level is below the L mark,
remove the oil filler cap and pour recommended
oil through the opening. Do not
overfill.
6. Recheck oil level with dipstick.
It is normal to add some oil between oil
maintenance intervals or during the
break-in period, depending on the severity
of operating conditions.
CAUTION
Oil level should be checked regularly.
Operating with insufficient amount of
oil can damage the engine, and such
damage is not covered by warranty
so, if the OP had bothered to check his oil regularly he would have idenified this problem early, not 2 months later
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 350z burning oil is not unheard of. If you don't check your oil, you're asking for issues.

I seriously doubt he was two quarts low because of a plug being screwed in incorrectly, especially with there not being any oil that he could find anywhere. He is in a bad place because he's basing this all on the word of other people. If he checked his oil, he would have the definitive answer from the get-go.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neeferea
Dear Fellow members,

I am pissed. I went in for an oil change today and was told that during my previous oil change Woodsfield Nissan did not screw in the plug correctly resulting in a loss of oil and me driving with 2qt of oil for 3,000 miles. Engine is probably messed up. Any advice on how to proceed? Should I call Nissan? What should I do?
I am upset. Poor Z.
Like everyone else said

you didn't notice the massive amounts of oil puddles left everywhere you parked? I wouldn't automatically take what any dealership tells me for gospel. At the end of the day, you really have no idea if the car was low on oil or not. Whether it was or not is now a moot point - fill it with oil, drive it, learn to check your own oil, and more importantly, learn to change your own oil, so you can keep an eye on such simple things yourself in the future...you will be better off
Old 05-08-2008, 04:46 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The problem is in proving that. Especially after a couple of months have passed.

If you drive out the dealership and travel two blocks and notice that you have 0 psi oil pressure and look under the car and see a trail of oil, then you can easily fault the dealer. To come back several months later with the claim "you didn't install the plug correctly" is a bit of a stretch.

As I asked before - "how do you incorrectly install a drain plug"? It's either screwed in or not. Even if it's loose and there's a small leak, the signs should be obvious long before 3 of the 5 quarts of oil have leaked out. Unless of course, you're oblivious to your surroundings and don't notice those kind of things. In that case, something else could have caused the loss and you wouldn't have noticed that either.

I don't mean to bust anybody's ***** but this is just another thread is which somebody is looking for somebody else to blame. Nobody ever takes responsibility - it's always somebody else.

It's a sports car. Owner maintenance is REQUIRED. If you want a car that takes care of itself, get a Volvo or some other middle-of-the-road sedan.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:15 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1