Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

class action lawsuit for 07 350z clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:10 PM
nismogizmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default class action lawsuit for 07 350z clutch issues

I have spoken with my lawyer today about my 07 nismo that has a faulty clutch and we spoke about a slew of similar cases that both of us have read about recently. Nissan is trying to stick it to me (and some of you) by declaring that the clutch issue is due to normal wear and tear. This is unacceptable and Im not going to sit idly by. Nissan is a big corporation, yes, but it is not infallible. I urge anyone who has this clutch issue to respond to this thread. To involve yourself in a class action lawsuit means that all you have to do is prove (probably through my lawyer) that you have the same issue. No monetary supplement would be needed from any candidate, just proof of clutch defect. On the other end, a successful case would get you monetary compensation in the end and some dignity back as well. He could not say how much money could be involved, but with a dozen people stepping forward, with me, he assured it would be lucrative. So please, come forward and lets not back down just because of the name Nissan! If 12 people contact me through this thread, we have a case, and a solid one at that. Hope to hear from you all.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by nismogizmo
I have spoken with my lawyer today about my 07 nismo that has a faulty clutch and we spoke about a slew of similar cases that both of us have read about recently. Nissan is trying to stick it to me (and some of you) by declaring that the clutch issue is due to normal wear and tear. This is unacceptable and Im not going to sit idly by. Nissan is a big corporation, yes, but it is not infallible. I urge anyone who has this clutch issue to respond to this thread. To involve yourself in a class action lawsuit means that all you have to do is prove (probably through my lawyer) that you have the same issue. No monetary supplement would be needed from any candidate, just proof of clutch defect. On the other end, a successful case would get you monetary compensation in the end and some dignity back as well. He could not say how much money could be involved, but with a dozen people stepping forward, with me, he assured it would be lucrative. So please, come forward and lets not back down just because of the name Nissan! If 12 people contact me through this thread, we have a case, and a solid one at that. Hope to hear from you all.
The money in no way would be lucrative for the owners, only the attorneys involved.

Last edited by HDPDZO6; 05-10-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 PM
mcarlomagno

Is this what you're thinking about? This was my post...

https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/358143-clutch-pedal-click-sound.html

Not to mention I think that the stock 350z clutch has no gripping capability.

I'll post a video soon of the click that my car makes EVERY time I shift.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:03 PM
SniperHunter

There was an official recall for the clutch...were you guys not included in the VIN range?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:37 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Before anybody gets too excited by the though of getting a pot of money from Nissan, read through this thread....

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/344597-350z-lawsuit.html

That one is about the proposed settlement on the tire feathering class action suit. The bottom line is that us consumers get practically nothing - it's all going to the lawyers. So if you want to sign up for this new suit, keep in mind that all you'll be doing is making some lawyers rich. You, as the owner, will basically get squat and you'll wait many years for it. Keep in mind that the feathering problem was very widespread, a lot worse than the clutch issue.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:02 PM
mcarlomagno

I don't care about the money at all. I just want a clutch that isn't embarassing for me to drive when I have a passenger, and that grabs a bit harder.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
New JerZ

+1
Old 05-10-2008, 05:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Class action lawsuits against Nissan go back 4 years to front tires feathering. I am not certain if the Nissan free alignmernt - free tires policy was a result of consumer and legal pressure.

Nissan does well staying one step ahead of legal action. The feathering policy is an example. It was not a 100 percent fix, but kept Nissan out of court.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:52 PM
mcarlomagno

Originally Posted by davidv
Class action lawsuits against Nissan go back 4 years to front tires feathering. I am not certain if the Nissan free alignmernt - free tires policy was a result of consumer and legal pressure.

Nissan does well staying one step ahead of legal action. The feathering policy is an example. It was not a 100 percent fix, but kept Nissan out of court.
is that policy only for 2003 - 2004?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mcarlomagno
is that policy only for 2003 - 2004?
Believe so. Owners had to meet specific criteria (OEM tire sizes on the front), and there was a specific date for completing the claim. I got a free alignment, and Nissan reimbursed me $400 for tires that I bought.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM
nismogizmo

I guess my car was not included in the recall and they say there are none withstanding. As far as money is concerned, maybe i shouldnt have used the term lucrative, but there would be compensation. Any compensation to me would be worth it for no money out of pocket for the class action lawsuit. Just to fight nissan and win would be fit for me. They are trying to make me pay 2500 for a new clutch on my nismo that has 5k miles and has been in the shop 3 times because of the clutch issue. 3 repair attempts and no repair, but its normal wear and tear to them. If there was ZERO reimbursement, I would still hope that people would still want to do the lawsuit that have been screwed over like this.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

love this country, just sue everything, everyone, waste tax dollars and increase our insurance costs on everything so that maybe you could get a $20.00 check. lmao.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
love this country, just sue everything, everyone, waste tax dollars and increase our insurance costs on everything so that maybe you could get a $20.00 check. lmao.

hahaha +10000000000000

People need to get over it.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
nismogizmo

Ive never sued anybody before, so that statement does not apply here. Im a repeat customer and this is not my first 350z. Actually what you should have said is how you love that corporations can screw people like me out of hard earned money and get away with it because everybody is afraid to stand up against it. If I felt I were at fault, I would pay to have a new clutch installed on my brand new car. But, my car has spent more time in the shop than on the road and it has resulted in me having my brand new nismo towed home last night because it is not driveable. Does this sound like justice to you? What would you do?

Im am pursuing this by myself or not. My lawyers research led him to believe that a class action lawsuit sounded reasonable with the amount of clutch issues he has read about. So, if i seemed over zealous...sorry, but I thought it would be a better way for all of us who are getting screwed over to get a little piece of justice.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
staticfive05

what does the clutch do?
Old 05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
bodayguy

Yeah, I'm a little confused. Your car is still under warranty.

I had my clutch cylinder replaced at 3,000 miles for the dead pedal issue many of us have had. It's working fine since, although I will admit I've never liked the looseness of the clutch on these 07+ cars.

If you've been taking the car in to the dealer and they say it is working according to specs, then there isn't much you can do. If you haven't had the full dead pedal issue, I suggest dropping the clutch a few times at 4,000 RPM (seriously, it's how I got mine bad enough that the repair guys figured out I knew something was wrong).

If your clutch is out for real now (you needed a tow!) they should fix it. Simple as that. Maybe you seem like a street racer?
Old 05-10-2008, 11:16 PM
nismogizmo

Hehe, no im not a street racer. ive had my select moments of enjoyment when i could but certainly nothing that would jeopardize the car. It started a month after we got the car, the clutch would stick to the floor upon shifting and I could smell burned clutch for up to 2 hours afterward. It went in to the shop 3 times. They replaced the hydraulics and clutch pedal assembly. Nothing worked and they could not pinpoint any problem, so they basically shooed me off after the pedal replacement. It worked for about a month, then came back. I told them it came back and I was told to live with it or find a different dealer. At this point I was pissed and tired of it. I called NNA on the advise of the service manager to inquire about the lemon law. They told me to get a diagnostics check and they would help. Well, I crawled into the dealership with the very last ounce of clutch i had left as It went out en route. Next day got a call from them saying i should be prepared to pay 2500 dollars for the new clutch because due to some wear on the tires (very little...5k miles worth) they feel its a normal wear and tear issue which is not covered by warranty. After battling NNA and the dealership for 2 days, they led me to believe that they would make sure it was a normal wear and tear issue so I did not authorize a tear down. I dont think I should have to pay a penny. Keep in mind, my car has only 5k miles...I know I couldnt have possibly burnt it out and Ive had this clutch issue since day one. but they heard none of it and i had the car towed home yesterday feeling very ****ed over and not knowing what to do. I am a big nissan fan and i feel extra angry because the Z is (was) my dream car. So the only other option i felt i had was a lawyer. One person said to get over it...!!! Why would they say that? I work hard to pay my bills so i certainly dont have an extra 2500 layin around. I feel this is totally nissans responsibility and if it were you, youd want something done too. My tranny has made very loud ticking noises and my brakes seem to "stick " sometimes also. Wish i just kept my o6 Z with no issues....

Everybody didnt seem to take too well to the inquiry about the class action deal. And I agree that some people sue over really dumb ****, but ya know...sometimes it IS warranted. Im not a bad person, just tired of getting walked on by life.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:09 AM
bodayguy

Did you buy the car from this dealer? You'd think they would treat a NISMO buyer a little better. On the other hand, sounds like they have you pegged as an abnormal driver and you are not grandma shifting.

There's no reason for them to charge you unless Nissan thinks there is reason to deny, because Nissan pays for the warranty work. The dealership has no incentive to make you pay $2,500.

Maybe the lawyer talk is going to get some movement, but that dealership is going to hate you from now on. I'd go to another dealer.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 AM
bodayguy

Sorry if I sound skeptical, I'm just reacting. Since you owned a previous Z, I have no doubt you understand how the car should behave. I just think you need to get a dealership on your side and for whatever reason these guys don't respect you.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 AM
my05350z

Originally Posted by nismogizmo
Wish i just kept my o6 Z with no issues....
Na, you should have gotten an 05 Z

You should consider going to another Nissan dealership.