Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does the Z not like gas??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 09:55 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Z not like gas??

So, what gives ?? Every time I go to the gas station - you know ... you get gas there to put in your car so that you can actually DRIVE IT! Two problems:

1. The gas lid. Have to push the button like five times - pressed it more or less - that's the average. Anyone else having this problem?

2. The fuel pump shuts of on me ... I can't get any gas in there! Finally figured out that you just have to continue to do this until you give up or feel like you've put enough in there! I know that people are having this problem. Anyone know why this happens?

Seriously - I understand problems on first year models ... but, THAT'S RIDICULOUS!

Along with those damn grease streaks on the windows ... how annoying are those?

Peace out!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:17 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gas door, yeah annoying

gas fillup, get onto level ground, thats the only thing Ive found that is continuous when it stops. its not flat. if you find pump that will fill up all the way, it should always fill up all the way, always use that pump.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:48 PM
mziggy16

That happened to me last time the last 2 times i've filled up (out of 3 total fill-ups). I ended up leaving Shell and going to QT because i could only pump in like 23 cents at a time at Shell and QT worked fine for me. Tonight it clicked off once when i was at 7 eleven and after that it filled it up.

Its soooooo annoying when it clicks off though.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Buddy Holly

Well I am glad that I am not the only one that is having problems with the fuel door not opening. It is very embarrassing(sp?) when you pull into the gas station with a brand new car and it looks like you don't even know how to put gas in it.

I also had the problem with the fuel line cutting out repeatedly when trying to fill up the tank. I have found a solution to the problem that seems to work for me. If you try to tilt the handle down which I guess causes the nozzle to tilt up in the tank then you should not experience the cut off as often. But just be careful not to overfill the tank I did that once and was so afraid that the gasoline was going to damage the paint I raced home to wash the car. By the way I only use Sunoco 94 so I am not sure if the tilting trick will work at other stations as well.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:26 PM
barrybell

I've had the same fillup problem, and oddly enough only at Shell Stations I've come the the conclusion that the fill nozzle shell uses is very sensitive to vapor buildup in the gas tank. I have found that if I wait till the tank is empty (a few gallons remaining) the vapor in the tank affects the nozzle. If I fillup at half a tank I do not have this problem.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:21 AM
joeshow750

Yeah, I've noticed the gas lid thing too. When I first got the car the lid would pop open to where I could just grab it and pull it open. Now I always just hit the button twice and the latch releases but I have to use my nail to get under the lid because the cap still sits almost flush with the rest of the body...if I'm not really careful and put any inward pressure on the cap it will close up and I have to walk back around, hit the button two more times, and try again...embarassing. If I were drunk, I'd be there all night trying to get gas...I guess there is always a bright side.
I've only had a problem with the gas shutting off a couple of times.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:52 AM
Buub

My fuel lid works first time, every time. Hadn't heard of this problem before.

The barely-full problem, I think, is actually a problem with certain gas pumps, the design of the nozzle and the shape/size of the fill tube. I never have this happen to me at the local '76, with my Z. Haven't tried to fill anywhere else.

But I have experienced it in other cars. Last car I remember having it happen to me a lot was my '86 CRX Si. I just finally figured out that wiggling the nozzle into different positions could be more successful.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Gunnar

Wth are you guys doing with the gas and gas tank lids. Mine has never done that. I hit the button it pops open. I put the nozzle in and it pumps till I stop it, or its full.

The greases streaks on the windows can be fixed. There is a fix out for them. Go to the dealerships and they will know the TSB # If not, it's here on the forum somewhere I'm sure.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:43 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

never had a problem with the gas lid, but the split fuel tank will not fill all of the way unless you're on level ground........there are some other older posts about this, not sure if they'll still come up with the search function
Old 07-13-2003, 03:37 PM
zipman

Default gas cover

if the gas cover is sticking stop crying get a screwdriver looses the two philips head screws and readjust the cover, or try a little lithium grease on the door plunger. if all else fails go back to the dealer.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:29 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Default Thanks ...

Thanks for your responses! I was checking to see how many other cars have the same problem - obviously many of them, and not just mine.

But, I'll "stop crying" now Mister zipman and come get Miss Samantha to come help me pump my gas. Is this how I do it?

MUST be an age thing ... I've only driven a car for 8 years ... guess I need to learn the most essential basics ... like pumping gas ... althought I thought that I would have caught on when I first did it like 16 years ago. Damn! Where did full-service go?

Peace!
Old 07-13-2003, 04:55 PM
jinxxycat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had the problem with the gas door opening a few times, now I just mash it in before getting out, seems to work. It is embarrasing to get out of the car to fuel up, and then have to get back in to try to get the thing open.

The other problem, I used to have with my old eclipse. Someone told me that you need to tilt the gas nozzle up or down, to de-pressurize the tank, when the gas gets down low there is a vacuum that is created, and not allowing that vacuum seal to be broken, the sensor on the gas nozzle will think your tank is full, and continue to shut off automatically. I dunno if that is true or not, but it sounds right to me, and i have never had that problem again.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:28 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Default It is a little embarassing!

It truly is somewhat embarassing getting out there and pushing the button a few times, then you walk around to the other side of the car ... and you're like ! Then you look all around to see who's watching and go back around to the other side of the car to push the button a few more times and as you act but still a little Then you walk around again and you feel like and HA! Victory is mine!

When you have to do the walk of shame a second time though, you're totally like and

Actually - anyone looks at me funny I just think - wow, my car is so cool anyway, so I pull out my and

And ultimately ... you feel as cool as this guy:

HEY NISSAN! How about a remote function on the key fob to control that high-quality plastic lid wirelessly?
Old 07-13-2003, 10:32 PM
D'oh

I also have the problem with the gas lid not opening (although the pumps have seemed to work fine so far).

If you look at the back of the fuel lid, you'll see that there is some black tape affixed to the area where the leaf spring pops the door open. My tape has bubbled due to the spring force, and it sometimes catches, which is whey the door wont open.

I'm not yet sure what to do to fix that, but I may start looking into it, cuz it's really annoying. Maybe just taking that strip off and adding some new thicker tape that won't bubble up. Or maybe taking the tape off and adding some thinner tape that won't deform as much. I have some other ideas as well, but not sure what will work best.

If I ever stop being lazy, maybe I'll look into it.

-D'oh!
Old 07-14-2003, 03:56 AM
BigBadBuford

I had the same problem with my gas lid not opening and after having to ask the guy pumping gas next to me help me open the door I decided to try and fix it. The tape on the inside of the hinge was a little bit rippled so I think that was part of the problem, but I took some WD-40 and sprayed it in this area, then opened and closed the door 3 or 4 times. This was months ago and my door ALWAYS opens with one push of the button.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:20 PM
D'oh

Originally posted by BigBadBuford
I had the same problem with my gas lid not opening and after having to ask the guy pumping gas next to me help me open the door I decided to try and fix it. The tape on the inside of the hinge was a little bit rippled so I think that was part of the problem, but I took some WD-40 and sprayed it in this area, then opened and closed the door 3 or 4 times. This was months ago and my door ALWAYS opens with one push of the button.

OOooohhhh, I like that solution. Cheap, simple, effective.

Thanks,
D'oh!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Buub

Originally posted by jinxxycat
The other problem, I used to have with my old eclipse. Someone told me that you need to tilt the gas nozzle up or down, to de-pressurize the tank, when the gas gets down low there is a vacuum that is created, and not allowing that vacuum seal to be broken
Actually, most cars have a little hole that lets the pressure equalize (look for it right by the bigger fuel hole). Maybe Mitsubishi doesn't do this. But most cars I've worked with (mostly Hondas and Nissans) have this hole.

If you go to fill up after driving the car for a bit, you should here a "woosh" of air getting sucked in as soon as you twist off the gas cap. This will confirm that the little hole is, in fact, equalizing the vacuum. Of course, if the vacuum hole on your car was blocked or plugged that might cause a vacuum problem that would mess up the filling.

So that's probably not the problem in this case. I think it's just the shape of some gas pump nozzles combined with the shape of some fuel tubes.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:50 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Ditto here on the fillup problem...I don't have any fuel door problems, but sometimes its hard to put more than 11 gallons in my Z even when its empty. I fillup about once per week, and its frustrating when you turn the car back on to find that you only have 3/4 tank after what you thought was a complete fillup. I am on level ground, as most gasoline stations are, and I have had the best luck filling up at Exxon/Mobil stations. I had about 5 or 6 fillups before I had any problems at this one particular station, and I always use the same pump, but my last 2 fillups have only gotten me to 3/4 tank and a little over 11 gallons...I think some of the fillup problems might be related to the rate at which fuel comes out of the nozzle. I was in a hurry the past 2 weeks, and needed a quick fill, so I pumped it myself, with the trigger completely squeezed and the pump was running at max flow. Normally, in the past , i use the second notch on the fuel pump handle which is a medium to fast flow rate, which usually gives me a nice full tank. I will experiment with this next week too, at the same pump, but I need to figure this out before I go on any long trips...that extra 100 miles, or 1/4 tank, I lack is alot and when I am travelling I hate stopping !
Old 09-28-2003, 08:16 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just started having the fill up problem. Did this problem every resolved?

Quick Reply: Does the Z not like gas??