Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Navigation ?????????Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 04:03 PM
G35 pimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation ?????????Yes or No

Navigation yes or no??????? If you have it or you dont please explain why???? Debating on getting one!!!! Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Subbacultcha

I have one. It's awesome if you travel a lot to unfamiliar cities. Its also great to impress your friends with. It's a nice feeling of security also knowing that you'll never be lost in your car. Then again, $2000 is pretty steep. And if you never really venture out into the unknown, then its not worth it. Also if you plan on ripping out the stock stereo and installing a better one, the navigation system will definitely complicate things. but eh, its a cool toy, it will definitely help the resale value of the car.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:25 PM
wildone_106

I love it personally, I never had one before but it seems easy to use and has stacks of cool features, like quick stop options to find the nearest gas station, store or whatever. All you need is a phone number and you can find any location if its listed in the database.
You can also store address's in an easy access index, it even will re-route you if you go of course.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Vicarious

ok...intially i decided no..i dont want navigation and it was a pretty adamant NO!
but the Z i got came with it and i thought, awww screw it i might as well because i got it for 2k under msrp. =D

but anyway, if i had not gotten the navi. i would have regretted it. the navi is VERY useful, well..maybe for me because i just started going to unfamiliar places, but still it is very useful. u are bound to go somehwere unfamiliar later and also without navi. there is this UGLY hole where it should be, which i think looks terrible. i think that if you can afford navi. get it. it pays off
Old 07-16-2003, 04:46 PM
DEADHEDZ

I got the NAV because I needed it for work. I'm glad I did need it because I would have a togh time justifying a $2,000 option. I'm really glad I have it though. I have a great sense of direction and do drive alot in the NY,NJ,CT area for work. One of the really cool things is being able to crank the music and get lost just driving to nowhere knowing that you can push a button and you follow the yellow brick road home. If your'e trying to save $, or would rather spend it on another option or model, then do that. If the money doesn't bother you, you'll love it.

PS My son was really impressed when we programmed in Comiskey Park and it routed us there from NY.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:17 PM
marhot

No, I just wanted a “sports car” Z. I have no need for NAV, Leather, etc. I got an Enthusiast. The only ‘debate’ I had with myself is whether to go with the Performance model in order to get the larger wheels & tires. But I decided that if I want larger wheels /tires to go aftermarket.

No thanks. I love my ‘plain’ Z. But go with whatever you want. I’d never tell anyone how to option out their Z. Just remember, they are all good

Peace
Old 07-16-2003, 05:21 PM
2003z

I have the nav in both the Z and G, and never want another car without it. As for it being a pure sports car, its sure a lot easier punching in the name of a track you've never been to then searching a map!

As for aftermarket stereo, if you are getting a G (by your screen name) its not an issue, unless you plan on spending around $1500 for a jdm center console that will accept an aftermarket head unit (for the Z guys, the radio on the G is integrated into the panel, and not a separate unit).

Even with a Z though., its very easy to swap headunits and keep the nav voice.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:31 PM
SlamMan

Is there a monthly fee for NAV? What about buying a used Z. Would I have to pay to activate it?
Old 07-16-2003, 05:31 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't get the NAV, mainly because I didn't want to spend $2K for something that I've lived without for the past 10 years.

However, I've found that most people who've used one really love it and would not get another car without one.

Also, $2000 buys many, many maps.

-D'oh!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:21 PM
wildone_106

Its free, uses the GPS system, I could'nt believe that either but its true..!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:29 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt get it. instead I am putting in a full PC, amazinly Im doing a full PC with navigation software for well under 2000$.

but Im also doing it all myself, and its a hell of a hassle, chazz's is much more straight foward, but still, not as concealed or easy as stock nav.

I use my dads palm with GPS when I need it, and its really nice to have. kinda like index cards, you might know your whole speech, but when you can read it right in front of you(or hear it), its cool.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:32 PM
SHAQMAGIC

I got it because i fell into a deal with the Z I got.
I didn't want it and now I will NEVER buy another car without it.
It's awesome.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:39 PM
synth19

Had the navi in my '01 Acura CLS........ it was a MAJOR requirement for the Z....it is true......once you have it, it will be hard to get another car without GPS........ I may be extreme, but I wouldnt have considered the Z if no navi was an option......call me spoiled.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:29 PM
ssk0771

I have Navi also, I NEED IT, LOVE IT, can't have car WITHOUT IT.

The only thing is that NISSAN's Navigation is not very user friendly. I use to have Acura TL Type S w/Navi and they were very user friendly because they were touch screen. I wish Nissan's Navigation was Touch Screen Also.

Just my opinion
Old 07-16-2003, 08:32 PM
bshockley

Has anyone tried an aftermarket nav system other than PC? I was looking into PC, because you could get a whole lot more for less money, but then I started looking at systems like Alpine's system. Some of them look really nice, and you can get nice touch screens to go with then as well. I was thinking of getting something like the Alpine DVD nav system with a nice touch screen LCD to place in the stock nav compartment. If it works just the same as the stock nav, and it's cheaper, and might do DVD movies as well then I'd consider it. I really want NAV, but can't see spending 2K for it.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:25 AM
synth19

I also considered aftermarket, as long as the install and placement is CLEAN, and looks 100% stock, then go for it...

Originally posted by bshockley
Has anyone tried an aftermarket nav system other than PC? I was looking into PC, because you could get a whole lot more for less money, but then I started looking at systems like Alpine's system. Some of them look really nice, and you can get nice touch screens to go with then as well. I was thinking of getting something like the Alpine DVD nav system with a nice touch screen LCD to place in the stock nav compartment. If it works just the same as the stock nav, and it's cheaper, and might do DVD movies as well then I'd consider it. I really want NAV, but can't see spending 2K for it.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:35 AM
Giedrius

Originally posted by D'oh
I didn't get the NAV, mainly because I didn't want to spend $2K for something that I've lived without for the past 10 years.

However, I've found that most people who've used one really love it and would not get another car without one.

Also, $2000 buys many, many maps.

-D'oh!
Good one! My gf told me when she was buying a truck, they asked if she wanted a remote stuff installed in it for extra $$$. And she just said, "What? The key doesn't work?" And the rest is history.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Blue350zCali

I got my Z without Navi, then bought my wife the Murano with Navi. It sucks not having a Navi in my Z, im always jealous of her Navi. Everyone is right once you have had a car with Navi you just cant go without one. I went back to the dealer to see how much it would cost to put Navi in my car and they quoted me that it would be around $3000. Get it with the car you wont regret it.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:46 AM
I2h8BMW

Default I like mine

Very useful in an unfamiliar place. I took a long trip to south CA after buying the car and the nav. was really helpfull. No maps for me anymore. I know it is expensive, but even some of the after mkt systems I was looking at go for $1600 without installation (if I remember correct). Yes they can play DVD but I rather drive my Z than watch a movie on that tiny screen. And after mkt. systems don't have the clean look of the stock system (atleast not the ones I have seen so far).

There is no montly fee but if you want a newer version of the DVD disc, you got to pay.

One feature I don't like is that if your car is moving, you can't do much except select destinations from your pre-programmed list.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:09 AM
havabooz

i am one of those people that was stuck on the idea of buying the Z w/o it and instalin it aftermarket to save $

but i got the Z with it (not really my choice but i decided to take it)

i love it..its verrrrry easy to understand..and if you learn how to use the features it is greaaaaat

points of interest is great

basically ...if you dont need it...you dont need it

but if there is 15% of you thinking about getting it then its enough to buy it

plus you will be suck with a stupid compartment in the middle of teh console if you dont get it