2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Performance Driving School experience/suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 09:14 PM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Performance Driving School experience/suggestion

I am considering a performace driving school/class to take full advantage and enjoyment of my new Z. Checked out both Bondurant and Skip Barber web site. Well, the cost is not that trevial. I got several questions:

1) If you attend one of this school before, please share your experiece. If you attended others, please do so as well.

2) Do you know of any performance driver school that are close to central Texas and how are they?

3) Do you think the class is worth it, considering the cost?
Old 05-23-2002, 09:34 PM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Check with your local Z Car, BMW, or Miata Club. They often run events with professional/semi-professional instruction for much less than those schools you mentioned.

The education event I did at Virginia International Raceway was sponsored by the Mazda Sports Car Club of Washington (yes, I drove my own car - a Z) - it was about 400 bucks for 2 days and the quality of instruction was excellent! Perhaps not quite as good as what you'll get from the big name schools, but the cost is sooo much less, its defintely worth it (especially if you're just starting out).

Ethan
Old 05-23-2002, 09:36 PM
dvlad

Default Re: Performance Driving School experience/suggestion

Originally posted by Touring6MT_Z
I am considering a performace driving school/class to take full advantage and enjoyment of my new Z. Checked out both Bondurant and Skip Barber web site. Well, the cost is not that trevial. I got several questions:

1) If you attend one of this school before, please share your experiece. If you attended others, please do so as well.

2) Do you know of any performance driver school that are close to central Texas and how are they?

3) Do you think the class is worth it, considering the cost?
1) it was an absolute JOY! I have been to Skip Barber Schools twice. The 2 day driving school and the 3 day racing school. I would highly recommend the 2 day driving if you can't do the racing school.

2) Sorry, try this...do a search on this my350Z.com for "Driving Schools". I remeber we talked about a link were it has all the schools in North America.

3)I can positively say YES!! There have been quiet a few times when the schooling has come into play. I believe the best lesson i gained out of it was the fact that i really didn't know that much about car control. As for conisdering the cost....$2500 is a great price for the knowledge that they provide you.

Help this helps. If you want more, pm and i can write more about it.

Dan
Old 05-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Ethan/Dan,

Thanks for your responses. Both are different and interesting. I will try to pursue the $400 solution first before jump on a few thousand one. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:02 AM
TCL

One thing to watch for. Make sure you keep the instructor in check. Though I've not seen this first hand, I've heard of instructors who abuse your car on the laps they drive while showing you the course line. This info from a fellow M3 owner who had a bad experience at one school. If you pick a school that supplies their own cars like Bondurant, you shouldn't have this problem.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:30 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Default Re: Check this out...

Originally posted by kraZy
Take a look at www.autoweek.com. There you'll find a listing of driving schools across the country (LHS of the page). Maybe one of those would suit your needs. Listen to Ethan, also. He's been very helpful with pointing me in the right direction...

Good Luck!

Kenneth
Kenneth,

Thanks! I checked it out. Several schools offer class right here in Texas Motor Speedway.

TCL,

Thanks for the tip. I'll go with reputable school that offer their own car and pay a little more. Nothing worse than let someone have a field day with my new Z.