Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Had enough of Tailgaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:28 PM
n2oZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tailgaters are very annoying yes. I see people choosing certain scenarios so they can bad mouth someone else so lets look at a couple tail gating scenarios. Assume your z is the one being tailgated in all instances.

You are on a city street with four lanes, the passing lane is completly empty yet someone decides to tailgate you for no reason at all.

You are on a country road only two lanes, say you are doing 71 ish in a 70. A driver pulls up on ya fast and decides to ride your *** even if thier is ample room to pass safely.

My personal pet peeve is being at a stop light and jerk off behind me wants to get an inch from the back of my car.

These three of many examples show that some people will be an *** just for the sake of being an ***. They could of easily passed or just backed off but no, they decided since they have issues they need to **** others off. Heres some fun ways to deal with em.

Wiper fluid, brake checks have all been said. How bout down shifting ....... no brake light warning if your really wanting to wake them up.

Turn your parking lights on if they get to close, they'll think your hitting the brakes.

Say we are on that country road and the *** runs up and tail gates you. Start mildly swerving into the shoulder, look like your drunk ........ even the hardest heads will back off ........ this also helps get through traffic.

Drive at the speed but tap your breaks now and then acting like you are looking for a turn off ............... they eventually get tired of having to pay attention and will pass you.

lot of tailgaters you can thank News channels for this econo driving crap where they actually tell you to draft people to save gas ( oh i cant wait for someone to sue CNN for this). if they are doing this you know they are trying to save gas so think of inventive ways to deter that goal. Takes more gas to speed up so pop the gas now and then so they have to catch up to draft, or swerver over a few times to let em hit that wind they fear so much.

Lat one, these people will tailgate on freeways and turn thier cruise control on and just coast behind ya relaxed. To hell with them, make sure with letting off gas, or throttling ahead that they never get to coast with that cruise control. They will get pissed and find another victim to tailgate.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Greg06

Originally Posted by n2oZ
lot of tailgaters you can thank News channels for this econo driving crap where they actually tell you to draft people to save gas ( oh i cant wait for someone to sue CNN for this). if they are doing this you know they are trying to save gas so think of inventive ways to deter that goal. Takes more gas to speed up so pop the gas now and then so they have to catch up to draft, or swerver over a few times to let em hit that wind they fear so much.
LOL Yup those are the idiots that are too stupid to watch the discovery channel. If they were smart enough, they would have known that myth was already busted by the Mythbusters
Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
3fittyBiH

Originally Posted by gclancer
Since gas is pretty expensive these days, i've been driving nicely & keep it under 3000 RPM. But i just can't stand people keep tailigating me like they want to kiss the rear of the Z's bumper or something. I've had enough tonight being tailgate by a brand new evo. Instead of trying to run away from the EVO, i just drive a little slower than normal and then the EVO just change line & took off. Have you guys encounter this kind of tailgaters & what would you do? Gun it or slow down?
im sure the evo was trying to race you and not save gas
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM
gclancer

Originally Posted by 3fittyBiH
im sure the evo was trying to race you and not save gas
Evo gun it as soon as he jumped on the freeway, I don't think he wanted to follow a slow *** Z driver like me
Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
sir captian

Some dude in a Lancer EVO was tailgating me a few weeks back.When I wouldnt speed up he changed lanes and tried to pass me so I stepped on it to see what his evo had.Needless to say he couldnt pass me And I know he tried,he pulled up next to me at the next lite and I looked over at him and cracked a smile.He wouldnt even look at me he was pissed.He learnd that day you better come at a Z wtih something more than a stock EVO.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:15 AM
The Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawaiianZ
i point my rear washer nozzle and face it up behind me. i shot so much people with water already, just washin my rear windshield, not my fault ure to close.
Haha, that's awesome!
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I see someone tailgating me, I usually slow down even more in hopes of them getting pissed off.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:45 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I figure it depends on what kind of road your on. If your driving down some back roads with a 45 limit then do the limit and let them tail gate you all they want, unless you kindly pull to the side and wave them by. If it were an emergency for the TGer im sure they'd pass you regardless. If your in a 2 or 3 lane Hway, and your in the damn fast lane doing the limit or below, then just move over cause then your the one at fault and should not be in the damn fast lane to begin with. People in the USA specially NJ are so damn spiteful when it comes to driving, but i figure it someones doing a ludacris speed and im going normal it's probably safer for me to move for them than to make them change lanes and maybe suffer an accident. I love European driving due to the fact that other driver's are respectful of this and will even hit the shoulder for faster cars to pass. I just figure if you see a sports car coming in your Rear view and your driving a bomb MOVE!!!!

As far as Drafting someone, it doesn't save you gas it just stops the force of the wind hitting your car due to the front car splitting it for you, and with no resistance you will go faster, but if the guy out front isn't going any faster welcome to tail gating school! haha, but if they move or you move the suction will pull your car past them until the resistance of the wind slams you.

Otherwise if ur in NJ BRAKE CHECK EM!!!! mu hahahahah

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 06-21-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:46 AM
YOGURT!

I say brake check them all day..
Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 AM
CSF

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
I figure it depends on what kind of road your on. If your driving down some back roads with a 45 limit then do the limit and let them tail gate you all they want, unless you kindly pull to the side and wave them by. If it were an emergency for the TGer im sure they'd pass you regardless. If your in a 2 or 3 lane Hway, and your in the damn fast lane doing the limit or below, then just move over cause then your the one at fault and should not be in the damn fast lane to begin with. People in the USA specially NJ are so damn spiteful when it comes to driving, but i figure it someones doing a ludacris speed and im going normal it's probably safer for me to move for them than to make them change lanes and maybe suffer an accident. I love European driving due to the fact that other driver's are respectful of this and will even hit the shoulder for faster cars to pass. I just figure if you see a sports car coming in your Rear view and your driving a bomb MOVE!!!!

As far as Drafting someone, it doesn't save you gas it just stops the force of the wind hitting your car due to the front car splitting it for you, and with no resistance you will go faster, but if the guy out front isn't going any faster welcome to tail gating school! haha, but if they move or you move the suction will pull your car past them until the resistance of the wind slams you.

Otherwise if ur in NJ BRAKE CHECK EM!!!! mu hahahahah
lol...i love jersey drivers
Old 06-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Someguy350

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pangoman
I agree about the ego part for sure. When my Pops taught us how to drive he always emphasized to us boys that the left lane was the "PASSING" lane. I think that referring to it as the fast lane confuses people into thinking that since they're going 2 mph over the limit that they should be in that lane...big NEGATORY on that folks. Think "PASSING" lane.
thats exactly what ive always said about the new road signs. they used to say "keep right, except to pass" very straight forward. but all the new signs going up say "slower traffic, keep right" and the problem is, nobody wants to be thought of as the slow guy. so they just drive in the left lane, to try and tell themselves they are going fast.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 AM
angelzhope720

Originally Posted by sk26dett
i also slam my brakes if they're on my a$$ for too long.

That's bad news. You're just asking for trouble then.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:50 AM
C4talyst

Stay out of the left lane unless you're passing...

Also, if you brake check someone (which is a stupid, low IQ thing to do) and they hit you, your insurance will likely be footing the bill. If the other driver has a witness stating you braked for no reason...you're screwed.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Someguy350

Originally Posted by C4talyst
Stay out of the left lane unless you're passing...

Also, if you brake check someone (which is a stupid, low IQ thing to do) and they hit you, your insurance will likely be footing the bill. If the other driver has a witness stating you braked for no reason...you're screwed.

actually if someone rear ends you. they are always at fault in the eyes of insurance. wether you braked for no reason or not. you are required to leave enough distance between the vehicle in front of you. that you could stop in an emergency situation. so if you rear end someone, you are either following too close. or you are being unattentive.

besides that, all you have to do is say you thought you saw something run out in the road.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Neb

Originally Posted by Someguy350
actually if someone rear ends you. they are always at fault in the eyes of insurance. wether you braked for no reason or not. you are required to leave enough distance between the vehicle in front of you. that you could stop in an emergency situation. so if you rear end someone, you are either following too close. or you are being unattentive.

besides that, all you have to do is say you thought you saw something run out in the road.
+1
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by angelzhope720
That's bad news. You're just asking for trouble then.
The tailgater will be at fault for "following too close".
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM
dkorr

here's what I do with tailgaters (assume I'm not on the fast lane and going 5 above speed limit on hwy)

1. give them a courtesy windshield salute

2. if that doesnt work, I slow down 10mph, let them move to another lane, and I speed up again to match their speed or beyond

3. if that doesnt work, I spray WD-40 (or Molydenum spray) out the window and mist their windshield

4. if that doesnt work, throw those ceramic ***** (from Hungry Hippo) out the window.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:09 AM
gclancer

Originally Posted by dkorr
here's what I do with tailgaters (assume I'm not on the fast lane and going 5 above speed limit on hwy)

1. give them a courtesy windshield salute

2. if that doesnt work, I slow down 10mph, let them move to another lane, and I speed up again to match their speed or beyond

3. if that doesnt work, I spray WD-40 (or Molydenum spray) out the window and mist their windshield

4. if that doesnt work, throw those ceramic ***** (from Hungry Hippo) out the window.
You have some pretty creative ways to deal with tailgaters.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
dkorr

Originally Posted by gclancer
You have some pretty creative ways to deal with tailgaters.
slowing down to a crawl and then speeding up as they change to another lane works just about every time (unless they have a faster car)...

besides that, a method with more staying power is to spray Armour All out your driver's side window... a light mist would do just fine at 75mph... from a small gap in your window, just spray above your side mirrors and the mist will get mixed in with the vortex created by your car and it wont be noticeable... and if they use their wipers, it'll make it worse...

Amour All is cop safe too since its a legit thing to have in your car at all times...

Last edited by dkorr; 06-23-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Someguy350

Originally Posted by dkorr
slowing down to a crawl and then speeding up as they change to another lane works just about every time (unless they have a faster car)...

besides that, a method with more staying power is to spray Armour All out your driver's side window... a light mist would do just fine at 75mph... from a small gap in your window, just spray above your side mirrors and the mist will get mixed in with the vortex created by your car and it wont be noticeable... and if they use their wipers, it'll make it worse...

Amour All is cop safe too since its a legit thing to have in your car at all times...

the only people i do mean **** like that to. are those people on the highway, that you pass like they are standing still. and next thing you know, they are right behind you, no matter how fast you go. they are too chicken **** to speed on their own. so they try and tail someone else who is speeding, so that they dont get a ticket.

a nice handful of nuts and bolts out the window works good for them.

Quick Reply: Had enough of Tailgaters