Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

nismo parts question-yes I've searched-don't kill me

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
rocdok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nismo parts question-yes I've searched-don't kill me

I searched exhausts for an hour. I'm weary. My question is simple. When I buy my Nismo cat back exhaust soon, I will be shipping over the border to Canada. Does anyone know, and don't yell if this is stupid, if Nismo is made in America? If it is, then I pay no duty.
I'd appreciate help without being murdered....thanks....
Old 07-05-2008, 11:04 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since NISMO is based in Japan, I'd assume anything nismo is made there
Old 07-05-2008, 11:57 PM
TheMinel

thing is though, Nismo stuff is mostly rebadged and made by other companies (the exhaust is made by Weldina, but whether they make it in Japan or they have factories elsewhere, I don't know...)
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 AM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rocdok
I searched exhausts for an hour. I'm weary. My question is simple. When I buy my Nismo cat back exhaust soon, I will be shipping over the border to Canada. Does anyone know, and don't yell if this is stupid, if Nismo is made in America? If it is, then I pay no duty.
see, I'm a little concerned that you are afraid to ask for help here on the premiere Z website. That is a testament to how completely unhelpful folk on this site can be. How really trite and mean.

Now wait, WTF were you asking no0b? Where is NISMO made. Are you effing kidding me? J/K..Nismo is Japan but can be bought in any country. I'd buy the parts from whatever country is duty free to you crazy canuck....buy it from Courtesy...they'll believe it was made in the USA.

Last edited by surfcity40; 07-06-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:57 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made in Japan.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How does Canada determine the country of origin for any item imported?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:20 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Same as anybody else does - "Make in xxxxxx".
Old 07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
TSG-Z

Sorry for the noob question, but wtf is duty?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:01 PM
WL350Z

Originally Posted by gsazabi
Made in Japan.
+1
it is made in japan.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Are you referring to the Canadian Goods and Services Tax (GST)? This is applicable no matter where the product originates and is 5% of the product’s sales price.

If you are referring to an actual duty tax, that is covered by the North America Free Trade Agreement. If you buy your Nismo parts from a retailer in the USA or Mexico, you do not owe any duty (the retailer or its distributor already paid this, and the NAFTA “free trade” concept comes into play when the product is exported from the USA to Canada).

If you buy a Nismo product directly from Japan (not likely), you pay the duty and the GST.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-06-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
rocdok

thanks everyone.....BUT....I am referring to Duty per say, and I'm not a NOOB by the way....only to this site. I have purchased several car parts from the U.S. and imported to Canada, so I DO know the ropes. When I pick the part up, I either have to be able to prove that the part was made in the US or Mexico as spike10 has said, or I have to be a good liar. OBVIOUSLY Nismo is Japanese, but many things are put together in the US despite......so, is the part Japanese, but MADE IN the US, or is it just gotten FROM Japan. I tried looking for this info on the net and on this site but couldn't find it. I'm now going to call the dealer....either Courtesy where I bought my last batch of stuff, or West Coast Covina who has the lowest price (844.00) I can find, and see if they know. The duty I will save if made in America, is likely about 7 percent or so.
Thanks anyway....
Oh, and Surfcity? I'll give you another example. So, where are Pirelli tires made? The answer is 'all over the world' including their mobile factory. However, recently when I bought tires from Tirerack, I found out there is a Pirelli factory in Rome, Georgia. EVen though I couldn't prove that my tires were made at that factory, the customs dude let me off on the duty, when I showed him an internet printout of that factory-they do make Pirelli tires in the US.
So, I guess I should have asked whether the 'obvious' Japanese brand name 'Nismo 'has a factory in the states.....Like my post suggested, better go slit my wrists now.....is it cross wise or down the length of the vein.....sigh..I can never remember...
Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
Since NISMO is based in Japan, I'd assume anything nismo is made there

Not entirely, alot of Nismo goods are Made in USA. Such items like the header's, cams, intakes, some misc accessories are made in the good ol' USA. Most of the Z stuff is made in Japan though besides the Intake, header and Cams.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

rocdok,

I think I understand, but please correct me if I am wrong here.

I am very sympathetic on this issue and understand your frustration. As an example, I own a software company and it’s a headache exporting this type of product to Canada. In my case, and if the software was developed (i.e., “manufactured”) in India, I owe duty on the software product, but no duty on the CD disk since the disk was manufactured in the USA (maybe, but who knows?). And then, someone has to determine the relative values of the different pieces. In this case the import duty is very subjective.

To solve the problem, I associated with a software company in Canada. That way I could send the items to my partner Canada, and never pay any duty.

Same goes for car parts. The components might be built in Japan, shipped to China for assembly, and then shipped to the USA or Mexico where additional hand-work or “re-manufacturing” is done to make the product comply with specifications for the destination Country, or even individual States or Provinces.

NAFTA was supposed to solve the problem, but it still exists. The government in Canada really needs to fix this. Obviously products from Canada (such as lumber and the great winter-wear items) sail through duty-free to the USA, but the reverse scenario (exporting from the USA and Mexico) hit snags, and mostly because of this origination argument.

To make matters even worse, the “duty issue” is different when importing to different Provinces, or even within a Province when importing to different cities in Canada. It is not consistent.

Good luck with this one. The duty you pay depends upon the Province or City where the product is shipped, the official on duty, how busy they are, and some other nonsense.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-07-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
rocdok

Originally Posted by Eddie@Performance
Not entirely, alot of Nismo goods are Made in USA. Such items like the header's, cams, intakes, some misc accessories are made in the good ol' USA. Most of the Z stuff is made in Japan though besides the Intake, header and Cams.
thanks for backing me up....
I phoned to West Coast Covina Nissan, and they do not know where the Nismo exhaust is made. Therefore, I will suck up the duty....
Thanks to those who didn't ram attitude down my throat....
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
rocdok

Originally Posted by Spike100
rocdok,

I think I understand, but please correct me if I am wrong here.

I am very sympathetic on this issue and understand your frustration. As an example, I own a software company and it’s a headache exporting this type of product to Canada. In my case, and if the software was developed (i.e., “manufactured”) in India, I owe duty on the software product, but no duty on the CD disk since the disk was manufactured in the USA (maybe, but who knows?). And then, someone has to determine the relative values of the different pieces. In this case the import duty is very subjective.

To solve the problem, I associated with a software company in Canada. That way I could send the items to my partner Canada, and never pay any duty.

Same goes for car parts. The components might be built in Japan, shipped to China for assembly, and then shipped to the USA or Mexico where additional hand-work or “re-manufacturing” is done to make the product comply with specifications for the destination Country, or even individual States or Provinces.

NAFTA was supposed to solve the problem, but it still exists. The government in Canada really needs to fix this. Obviously products from Canada (such as lumber and the great winter-wear items) sail through duty-free to the USA, but the reverse scenario (exporting from the USA and Mexico) hit snags, and mostly because of this origination argument.

To make matters even worse, the “duty issue” is different when importing to different Provinces, or even within a Province when importing to different cities in Canada. It is not consistent.

Good luck with this one. The duty you pay depends upon the Province or City where the product is shipped, the official on duty, how busy they are, and some other nonsense.

--Spike

You know a lot more than I from your first hand experience, and have hit the nail on the head. thanks for your reply.....
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

thanks for backing me up....
I phoned to West Coast Covina Nissan, and they do not know where the Nismo exhaust is made. Therefore, I will suck up the duty....
Thanks to those who didn't ram attitude down my throat....

The Nismo exhaust for the Z33 is Made in Japan by Weldina Co. Inc.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

IMHO Get a different exhaust. I personally wouldn't pay for an exhaust that is slightly more aggressive than stock for a GEE... There are alot of well made exhaust on the market to choose from..
Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
kneedragger81

weird coz the nismo cai looks exactly the same as the aem version. aem is made in usa right?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Eddie@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by kneedragger81
weird coz the nismo cai looks exactly the same as the aem version. aem is made in usa right?

Yes, the Nismo intake is made by AEM private labeled for Nismo. Aside from the black powdercoating, Nismo badge and the standard water by pass valve on CAI models (AEM ones are optional and extra charge). The Nismo ones arent really priced any higher once you factor in the water by pass valve which the Nismo ones come standard (only on CAI models).

Quick Reply: nismo parts question-yes I've searched-don't kill me