Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2003 vs 2007 350z choice. Need advise PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
SEBASS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
I'd hope BBK would be better than stock...lol. Thats just a given and you really can't compare that.
You plan to mod your car?
Can you afford the price difference?
What is insurance rates between the two?
Personally, I'd pick an 07. Also, with the new 370Z coming, you may want to wait on the 07 and the 03.
That's not what i meant. I meant does one vs two pipes stock make a more then 5hp differance? And how much hp would aftermarket intake give.
Personally i was thinking of STILLEN since it's cold air intake, short pipes like stock and way better filter.

I would like to add 50hp but reading from forums here without turbo or s.ch.
that's out of the questions. How much would bigger cams, bigger headers, change of exhust + stillen intake give ? ball park figure ?? Or can you even mod cams, headers etc. ??

I guess i can. I want to like the car and NOT willing to pay more then 25k.
It's still a Nissan so i just don't ****ing get ppl that buy Nissmo for 40k + taxes. Same freaking engine. Yes better suspension but not worth in my opinion.
If Nissmo motor would be 400hp with around 3000 lbs or less weight then it's worth that price tag but not with current engine. It's all show no go.

What is insurance rates between the two
That's the biggest problem here. 03 2 way runs me like 650 and 08 did like 2600/year. Sick. Maybe i just get liability until car gets older. Yeah i stupid but i'm not gonna pay the "jew" pardon the expresion.

You reffering to new 370z you mean ppl will be selling their 07,08,06 to swap to 09 370z. Looking at the car right now it look bad to me and it will cost north of 40k so **** that. 07, 08 probably will be best bargin cars.

For 40k just wait year or two and get 08 420hp, lighter M3. That's my next car !!! Hands down !!!! That car looks sick, drives sick and stock HP is insane.
Oh and in 09 Nissan still can't or won't make an engine with 420hp that germans did in 08. Kinda sad when you think about casue you would have thought japs have better technology and better engeneers. I guess NOT so based on what WE all see. SAD. And 03 M3 has 8k red line something that in 08 japs can't do. SAD again. JMHO. But right now i love 350z for that price and car looks very sexy too And again guys thanks for input and help.

Last edited by SEBASS; 07-10-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
BADASSTT

Originally Posted by SEBASS
But that perticular car 07 was in worst shape then 03 was so no contest here.
How is a car thats 1 year old going to be in worse shape than a 5 year old car? Just doesnt make sense
Old 07-10-2008, 04:07 PM
SEBASS

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
How is a car thats 1 year old going to be in worse shape than a 5 year old car? Just doesnt make sense
Nissan dealership got that 07 from auction and bumper was yellow, bunch of paint chips, rims were scrapped off on curbs a lot, car wasn't detailed at all, not washed. When driving it it also felt kinda cheap. I'm reffering to that perticular car. 03 had 40k miles vs 15k 07. 40k motor is still almost brand new but that's water under the bridge cause i decided that 06+ is going to be my buy with 07 being probably best match if i can get the price right. If not then 06 will do just fine. BTW i'm looking for white one too

I'M STILL KIND OF INTERESTED IN WHAT ISSUES 06,07 AND 08 years ppl had ???
Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Kegsbane

For 40k just wait year or two and get 08 420hp, lighter M3. That's my next car !!! Hands down !!!! That car looks sick, drives sick and stock HP is insane.
Oh and in 09 Nissan still can't or won't make an engine with 420hp that germans did in 08. Kinda sad when you think about casue you would have thought japs have better technology and better engeneers. I guess NOT so based on what WE all see. SAD. And 03 M3 has 8k red line something that in 08 japs can't do. SAD again. JMHO. But right now i love 350z for that price and car looks very sexy too And again guys thanks for input and help.
Public Service Announcement: The M3 and 350z/370z represent two completely markets

That is all
Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
racerfreakxxx

yea the m3 engine is a v8... i would hope it can do 400+hp

I'd rather pay 45k and get a vette... that's a real man's car. Plus you can pull a tone of hp out of that engine and it's alot cheaper than pulling hp out of a m3
Old 07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
keithhofmann

Nissan dealership got that 07 from auction and bumper was yellow, bunch of paint chips, rims were scrapped off on curbs a lot, car wasn't detailed at all, not washed. When driving it it also felt kinda cheap. I'm reffering to that perticular car. 03 had 40k miles vs 15k 07. 40k motor is still almost brand new but that's water under the bridge cause i decided that 06+ is going to be my buy with 07 being probably best match if i can get the price right. If not then 06 will do just fine. BTW i'm looking for white one too

I'M STILL KIND OF INTERESTED IN WHAT ISSUES 06,07 AND 08 years ppl had ???
Arent you the same guy that asked why nissan didnt get the same stock hp for the 350z as the g37 when everyone knows that one's a 3.5 and one's 3.7?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:33 AM
KManZ
Banned

With the 350Z, or any car for that matter, improve the handling/suspension first, then brakes, and then concentrate on go-fast mods. All the power and resulting speed is great, but if you can't turn or stop, it's not going to be pretty, and you will still get beat up by more nimble cars in the turns (think Miatas and S2ks). But if you are never going to track and are satisfied with simply straight line power (for which there are MUCH better options out there), then start saving your nickels for an FI set up.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:10 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you know, all that buy this and buy that crap for the Z's great. My opinion is learn to drive the car stock as best you can, and then when you can't go any faster or handle any better because your skill has surpassed the stock set up. Then and only then should you upgrade suspension, and or engine so that you actually notice a difference, and then your able to adjust to the new feel of the car instead of just jumping into a modded Z and not knowing what it was like from the get go. Thats where driving and tuning skills are learned and come into play from the experience of growing with your car not just having it out grow you and you catch up to it.

Bottom line on this thread man, pick what you personally like. beamer or Z you'll still use premium gas, one is more luxury , the other's more sport. Choose for yourself from all the gathered info from the thread. Or post some questions in a BMW forum as well and when you've taken it all in make your choice.Good luck with w/e way you go.

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 07-11-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
rockinbboy

That's not what i meant. I meant does one vs two pipes stock make a more then 5hp differance? And how much hp would aftermarket intake give.
Personally i was thinking of STILLEN since it's cold air intake, short pipes like stock and way better filter.
The big different is not the peak HP, but how the power is put out for the entire powerband. There is more midrange for the HR engine. That is one reason why the performance/track numbers are so good for the 07/08 Zs even though they are only 5 more peak HP. In fact...the new HP ratings for 07 and 08 are based on new SAE standards. So previous year Zs may actually be even less HP (not significantly less) if they used the current SAE ratings. Personally I think the dual intakes is ridiculous...but they..if thats how the engineers wanted to design it..why not. More $ for you to maintain for filters and what not, thats all. Still worth it for me in terms of performance.

I would like to add 50hp but reading from forums here without turbo or s.ch.
that's out of the questions. How much would bigger cams, bigger headers, change of exhust + stillen intake give ? ball park figure ?? Or can you even mod cams, headers etc. ??
If you look around, headers/cams are not even worth it. The amount of $ you spend for those mods and the gains you get aren't much. I am talking specifically in the NA mod category. If you plan on FI, then any potential mod you do will have pretty good gains. There are some hardcore NA modders here though. Some are near the 300 RWHP range which is pretty sweet. Look for rickdog, I think his was like 298 RWHP or something ridiculous for NA. NA mods are expensive..just so you know.

I guess i can. I want to like the car and NOT willing to pay more then 25k.
It's still a Nissan so i just don't ****ing get ppl that buy Nissmo for 40k + taxes. Same freaking engine. Yes better suspension but not worth in my opinion.
If Nissmo motor would be 400hp with around 3000 lbs or less weight then it's worth that price tag but not with current engine. It's all show no go.
No argument there brotha

What is insurance rates between the two
That's the biggest problem here. 03 2 way runs me like 650 and 08 did like 2600/year. Sick. Maybe i just get liability until car gets older. Yeah i stupid but i'm not gonna pay the "jew" pardon the expresion.
ouch...thats a big difference.

I guess in the end, everyone will have their own opinion. You just got to ask yourself, which will make you happier? It sounds like you are siding with the 03. 03 are still great cars. Since its track edition, even better since you got the BBK. Long as it was well maintained and checked it with a mechanic to make sure its fine, then there is no reason for you to not to get it. You will get to save $ in the process as well.

Last edited by rockinbboy; 07-11-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Dr. Venture

Does the double intakes have double MAF's?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
hawaiianZ

i dont know about that, my 07 edged out a soft top M3, SMG i thinking. M3 6cylinder, 07 Z is a drivers race. unless hes modded.

yes dual intake, equals dual throttle bodys, MAFs, filters..etc....

LOL. Agree. If he was here I would have loved the debate between him and you guys. BTW he's got 05 M3 so all of you must agree unless you got heavily moded Z he'll eat you for breakfast anyway. He races his on track sometimes. But anway.

03 that i wanted got sold right before my eyes. Same day i decided i wanted it but maybe that's for a better cause I looked closer at 06 and 07 and in

06 i like the look much better, meaning front spoilers, rims, rev engine, better seat and interior.
07 would actaully be perfect with G35 engine and dual intakes.

Do does dual intakes make a difference at all ? When chaning those dual intakes how much hp difference will that add ???

How much does it cost to repaint the whole car? Is the paint as quality from factory ? Is it worth it?
I found one but not the color i want. Any thoughts on that ?

Anyone with 06 and 07 if you guys can list what defects you know of those cars have. I also notice IL is ****ing overpriced state so most likely i will travel. I found one state that sells Z cheap. Not sure why.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Dr. Venture

Hmm...hate to see what happens when ONE of the MAF's goes on the haywire...
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
SEBASS

Wait guys. I'm confused.

03 has non-rev engine with 286 hp
06 has Rev engine with 300hp
07 has HR engine from G35 with 306hp

I thought there is major difference between 03 and 06+ not 06 and 07.
What gives ?

Also don't understand acronyms here. Can you explain please.

yes dual intake, equals dual throttle bodys, MAFs, filters..etc....

BTW i'm leaning towards 06+ with 07 being my target since i just like that g35 engine. Also it's suppose to be 10% more efficient, smoother, etc etc.
Enthusiast or Touring would be my choice. BTW i checked pricing on in classified section here and most ask too much. JMHO.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM
gmic

for about ten grand cheaper?its obvious to me you should get the 03...put that money you save into the 03 ....seems like if you get the 07,you want to change or add some stuff to it anyways so whatever advantages you think you might get with the 07 doesnt matter..and ten grand extra for a minutely better interior and 20 horse?doesnt sound like a hard decision to make..but maybe im partial to the 03 cause ive had mine for a while and havent had tranny or feathering problems[03 with 65k]...get the 03 and put youre hard earned money into that...good luck
Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 AM
GHOST1207

Just get an 03 Track and be happy

You're on a budget and looking to mod, and the DE engines have more aftermarket support than the HR, for now at least.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:07 PM
SEBASS

Originally Posted by GHOST1207
Just get an 03 Track and be happy

You're on a budget and looking to mod, and the DE engines have more aftermarket support than the HR, for now at least.
That's comming from soon to be owner of 08. LOL.
Thanks for you opinion guys.

I trade stocks, well commodities so if everything goes according to my plan this year i may not need to think about this too hard.

I leaning towards 07 like i said i think. Bad thing about it that there isn't enough of them out there. Plenty 06 down but not yet plenty of 07 to choose from. Maybe that will change when 09 comes out when most some of you will trade in for new one. I think new one on picture look hidous. No freaking way i would spend 40+ on that car. Maybe when it comes out and looking at it live it will look better. Right no it dont' to me. Lights are messed up and shape too. 07,08 is perfect for me.

BTW guys isn't 07-08 more like 320hp (comparing to old standards) comparing to 06 down since they changed how SAE standards how HP is measured ??? Just curious. Any of you guys with 06 and 07 any issue so far ?

Last edited by SEBASS; 07-12-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:29 PM
hawaiianZ

the 07 VQ35HR can be considered to have 320 or so horsepower with the older corrections, close to e46 m3. but 306 with new ratings. youll love the HR, if you can get it at goodprice. i got mine (base)in may 07 for 27k.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:07 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Which did you choose?