Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Metal "creeking" sound coming from right rear wheel area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003 | 09:22 PM
raceboy
Banned

Default Metal "creeking" sound coming from right rear wheel area.

I have had this for about a week now. There is a metal creeking sound coming from the right rear wheel well area and I cannot figure out where exactly it's coming from!!!! It happens when the car is cold and I start to move from a stop or if I engine brake. It does not happen when going up or down, like over a speed bump. I have been through the entire suspension with my service manual and torque wrench, everything is tight. I can't. for the life of me figure out what it is!!! I even had a friend rock the car back and forth while I listened up close. Still couldn't figure it out. When the car has been driven for 20 minutes of so, it goes away. What the hell is it?? A CV joint, something in the mechanical handbrake?? Any ideas??
Old 07-23-2003 | 09:48 PM
Rogue350z
!!HR TT!!
Premier Member

I had the same problem. You should torque down the bolt on the rear axel.

And I called them crickets.
Old 07-23-2003 | 10:03 PM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Default same problem

There was a long post on this several months ago, although I cant seem to find it now. Apparently, many people are having this problem. I went to the dealer two months ago for this. After being on the Nissan Tech line for several hours and putting the "squeak ears" on the rear suspension, they isolated the noise to the rear axle. Its not the suspension or the brakes (they checked all of those) They retorqued the axle lock nut (remove cotter pin first) to 202 lb-ft of torque (max recommended) and it seemed to reduce the noise, but now its back and louder. I retorqued the axle lock nut to 202 lb-ft to see if it would go away,, no luck. (it was actually still torqued to that level) so I am going back to the dealership on Sat and requesting a new rear axle. I have heard of other people on this forum having it replaced for the same reason.

Its Section D RAX page 10-11 of the service manual for your reference.

RaymanZ
Old 07-24-2003 | 12:32 AM
DMONTE

Am not sure if this is the same sound you are talking about but I notice every time I change direction of the car the first time I hit the brake there is a fairly loud click. I can replicated it every time in the driveway just by backing up hitting the brakes then click then put it in drive head forward for as long as I want then when I first hit the brakes a fairly loud metallic click again
I just figured it's the calipers or something resetting each time I am not sure.

Last edited by DMONTE; 07-24-2003 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2003 | 03:01 AM
j's350z

Dmonte and raceboy,
I believe you both are referring to the same thing. On my car, the dealer took apart my axles(half shafts) and cleaned, relubed, and reinstalled them about 3 months ago. I believe their is a tsb out on this.
Old 07-24-2003 | 03:32 AM
DMONTE

Hi Jason how have you been, we met at Raceway Park about four months ago.

So you're clicking sound did go away after the dealer fix?
Old 07-24-2003 | 03:56 AM
Megatron

I have the same problem. It started off small, then it just grew. I have not taken my car in, because, the dealer has had my car more than i have for things, they kept screwing up.
How long did it take them to do the axle. A couple of hours or 1 day???
Is this happening just on the preorders, or the late order too???

took del on 9/18/02
Old 07-24-2003 | 04:08 AM
j's350z

Default Dmonte and Megatron

I first noticed the ticking or clicking noise back in December with about 4000 miles on the car. It is something inside the axle or something that was loose that needed to be tightened. It made the noise anytime a load was put on it. Thats why you hear it when rolling slow going back and forth between first and reverse. I believe my car was in the shop for two days while they were trouble shooting it, but now that they know what it is I'm sure it takes a couple of hours, hell, they can swap transmissions in 6 hours. Anyway, I have not had anymore problems with the noise after getting it fixed. I think I got it fixed in march or April and I have put probably 12000 miles on it since then with no problems. If your dealer doesn't know what it is, they can call Kevin, the head mechanic(tech) at Acme Nissan in south brunswick.
Old 07-24-2003 | 04:39 AM
Megatron

thanks j,

Maybe i'll scedule an appointment with my dealer next week.
J this is a little off topic. Did Len, finish that dvd, when we all meet down at cape may?
Old 07-24-2003 | 06:14 AM
DMONTE

Yes I believe Jason is correct, I was just outside checking out the sound I can do it every time I put the car in reverse backup hit the brakes aloud metallic click or double-click it does seem to be the rear end Drive shafts. I hope they have a bulletin for this problem I am still waiting for a bulletin for my loose driver's seat. Might as well get them both fixed at the same time.
Old 07-24-2003 | 10:16 AM
j's350z

of cousre I am right! Just kidding. I believe their is a TSB on both problems. If not, the seat was easy to fix myself, I did it 6 months ago... Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2003 | 01:40 PM
Eric1h

i have the same problem and its driving me crazy, does anyone have the link to nissans site for all the TSB's?
Old 07-24-2003 | 02:51 PM
failsafe
....for your health
Premier Member

I have the exact same noise- initially thought it was the brakes- then suspension. But a few other people here on the board told me it was the axle nut as well. If anyone finds a TSB can you please post?

Edit: don't see this listed under the TSB's on Nissan's website:
http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...3.asp?mscssid=

Last edited by failsafe; 07-24-2003 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2003 | 11:07 PM
350zdanny

Is this a clicking sound or a groaning sound? You guys scared me into going out to my car and checking it out. I can't hear jack **** over my exhaust note though.

Ignorance is bliss...

Dan
Old 07-25-2003 | 03:01 AM
j's350z

Like I previously posted, I had this fixed 6 months ago. Their may not be a TSB but tell your dealer to call the tech line if they don't know about it. And anyone that is not sure if they have it, trust me, you would know. It sounds like when you spin a ratchet(tick,tick,tick) It can be really annoying.
Old 07-25-2003 | 08:05 AM
Blue350zCali

I have this problem too, it usually happens when the car engages a gear with a little gas. This happens to me in the first two gears and reverse (can't tell if it happens in higher gears because of road noise). Mine also does not go away, always there.
Old 07-25-2003 | 12:51 PM
raceboy
Banned

Took it into the dealer today. They seemed fully aware of the problem. Told me they had just done another one for the same thing. Said they will have to remove the axle and lube the axle splines and retorque the axle bolt.
Old 07-25-2003 | 02:06 PM
failsafe
....for your health
Premier Member

Thanks for the update raceboy and all who previously had this problem. I'll get mine checked out early next week.
Old 07-25-2003 | 03:19 PM
raceboy
Banned

Just got the car back. They only had it for 3.5 hours. Even though the noise was only coming from the right side, they pulled both axles and lubed them as a preventative measure. I gotta say, my dealer isn't half bad!! Problem solved.
Old 07-31-2003 | 07:04 PM
chicago_z

I can always count on the my350z forums to answer my questions...

This started happening to me two weeks ago at about 4700 miles... also have the bad plastic on the driver seat.

Mine sounds like a slight metalic grinding, some clicking. Happens whenever I shift/gas and the car jerks a bit.

taking it in next week!

THANKS

Quick Reply: Metal "creeking" sound coming from right rear wheel area.