Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Metal "creeking" sound coming from right rear wheel area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003 | 08:00 PM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Default big problem

Ok guys, here's my situation:

I had this problem back in April, so I took it to the dealer, they got on the tech line, and and did exactly what they did to everyone else's car, that is: take axles apart, lube splines, retorque axle nut. Problem was diminished, but did NOT completely go away. I said ok for now. Since it got worse over time, I went back to a dealer. This time, because I have moved since, I went to a different dealer, but gave them the exact work order done at the previous dealer and told them that it might be the same problem. Well, they spent a whole day with it, and then they tell me that its not the axle, but upper control arm. They ordered a new one. Does someone want to explain to me HOW in the world a piece of solid aluminum could be making that clicking noise, and why it just couldn't simply be the joints connecting it, or the axle itself?

Well, I take their word for it, even though the mechanic that worked on my car seemed like an idiot, since they said they isolated the noise using the "squeak ears' or whatever they're called Fine, I'm not the mechanic, so I trust their assessment.

Here's the kicker: I go home, look the my left back wheel (where the noise was coming from) AND THEY NICKED EVERY LUGNUT HOLE TO PURE HELL. There are nice black rings around each lugnut hole and even some outright small dents all over the center of the wheel. Needless to say, I am pissed. I think I am going to go there, with Nissan's little post-dealer visit questionnaire, and tell them I'm going to write down what I really think of their service unless they get me a new damn wheel. Funny thing is, I have had my wheels removed several times at other dealers and never had them ruined like this. How can a mechanic be so DAMN STUPID? Its a nice 18' performance model wheel, you'd think they would show some prefessionalism and not hack it up. I've seen this happen to other people on this forum and never thought I would encounter a dealer mechanic that would be such a hack.

Ok, sorry for the long post, but I had to vent. I'm not going to get the noise fixed with them on top of that. Yeah, I'm going to buy some TE-37s in the next 2 months, but I'm going to demand a replaced wheel based on principle alone.

RaymanZ
Old 08-01-2003 | 02:07 AM
DMONTE

It just seems a little odd to me that lubricating and retorquing the axles will permanently fixed this problem, what was the nuts loose to begin with
Old 08-01-2003 | 07:17 AM
j's350z

I have put 10,000 miles on my car since they fixed it and no more problems yet... I guess time will tell.....
Old 08-13-2003 | 10:36 AM
ICYBLUE1203

I think I may have this noise. It usually occurs when I'm leaving my driveway, shifting from 1st to 2nd. I don't know if its because i didnt rev match properly, but the car moves jerks forwards and backwards quickly like 2 time, and i hear a clicking noise from under the car. Can anyone tell me if I have the problem too?
Old 08-13-2003 | 11:20 AM
DMONTE

Originally posted by ICYBLUE1203
I think I may have this noise. Can anyone tell me if I have the problem too?

Roll forward in your driveway step on the brakes and then go in reverse and step on the brakes you should probably hear a clicking every time, at least mine does that now
Old 08-04-2004 | 11:57 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman
Premier Member

NTB04065

IF YOU CONFIRM: A "clicking" noise is coming from the left and/or right rear axle when accelerating from a stop. ACTION: 1. Determine if the noise is coming from one side or both sides. 2. Replace the Outer Axle Joint(s) and the Wheel Bearing(s). · If the noise is coming from only one side, replace parts on only one side. · If the noise is coming from both sides, replace parts on both sides. · Refer to section RAX in the Service Manual (ESM) for replacement instructions. See this bulletin for further detail.
Old 08-18-2004 | 08:31 PM
daletexas

I had the same problem and got it fix. It is your axles, nissan had to change my u join in the axles. MY brother is a mechanic, at a dealer ship and found the problem. Nissan USA know about the problem. There is a nation wide backorder on that part. It took me 9 weeks to get my part in. torgueing it down will only fix it for a little while. Take your car to a nissan dealer,and they will fix it for free. The only bad thing about it. Is waiting for the parts to come in. 9 weeks for me, and at the sametime I was calling Nissan direct everyweek. Mind just got fix.