Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is everyone changing their oil 3 times before 3000 Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 05:44 AM
Zoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI

I have a younger brother who purchased a new blazer about 2 years ago. He took it back to the dealer for it's first oil change.
Anyway they do their magic and write it up, he pays the bill and takes off. He went down the street to the car wash and when finshed pulls out on to the street and starts hearing all kinds of chatering coming from the engine compartment. Yep, the knucke heads forgot to put the oil in. That's the kinda job you expect to get from the dealer. You gotta remember the kids that do the oil changes at dealerships are usually the most inexperienced people in the service department.

I would take a nationwide oil change place over a dealership any day. One guys pulls the drain plug and puts it back in along with a fresh filter. Another pumps the fresh oil in and checks the level.
That way theres not so much for each tech to do and you have less chance of them forgetting something, in theory atleast.

But the one guy is right, if you know the guys knows what their doing it sure makes it a more pleasurable ordeal.

Should I mention the dealer that forgot to put oil in my brothers blazer which is located in several areas of michigan including davison mi on M-15 is Hank Graff Chevrolet probably not.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:51 AM
mattc

Just a quick note about oil filters: don't expect any oil change places to have filters on hand. My roommate still cannot find a place outside the dealer for his G35. It may take a little while longer. At least in the Boston area. As long as the dealer stocks them, I will be fine.

22 days and counting...(Sept 12+/-)
Old 08-22-2002, 05:55 AM
ToddLuc

Default Re: Caution

Originally posted by Zoro

Guys, and I think Dr. Bonz will agree with me that castor oil should only be used if you car is constipated.

For longer engine life I would recommend castrol over it any day of the week.
I agree. Castrol GTX is awesome mineral-based oil.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:57 AM
ToddLuc

So the question still remains... is it good to get your oil changed by the dealer on a vehicle like this?

In the past, I took my Toyota Tacoma pickup to the Toyota dealer. While they did a good job in changing the oil, checking everything, and not damaging the pickup in any way, they DID leave a dripping mess for me to clean up. In my case, it was due to the skid plates. After that, I have always changed my own oil. I take the time to remove the skid plates and remove the oil and check everything.

On the Z, it will be quite different. #1, no skid plates.

I would like to take the Z to the dealer to have them do it, but my original fears of a messy job remain.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:02 AM
bhobson333

Thumbs up

Please jump over to the Technical forum, there are two threads there, "Engine Oil" and "Breakin period for 350Z engine" that you would be interested in:

Engine Oil
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=468

Breakin period for 350Z engine
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3120
Old 08-22-2002, 07:06 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Is everyone changing their oil 3 times before 3000 Miles?

Originally posted by LA-Z
Also, I being a Car Retard, cannot change my own oil *ducking rotten tomatoes and hiding head in shame* would it be ok to have it changed at a Jiffy Lube or should it be at dealer, or should I suck up and learn how to change my damn oil? If I do Jiffy, do I bring my own oil, and should I use synthetic or regular. ENOUGH with the dumb quesitons, thanks doods.
No, I wiil not change my oil 3 times in 3000 miles. I will change it on Nissan's maintenance schedule; 3000-3750 miles. If I haven't put 3000 miles on it in 4 months(my wife will have her Maxima to use, too), I will have the dealer change the oil and filter(I never change oil without the filter too) and use Mobile 1 5W-30, every thing else I use, in most cases, comes straight from Nissan. If you use the dealer and they think you know what you are talking about, I usually do, or I look it up or ask some of my more hands on gearhead friends.

I buy the Mobile 1 at my local discount house and have the dealer use it when I come in for a change(they don't stock it). I always use the dealer for all service except brakes and tires; I have my own shop that I've dealt with for 15 years. They are very skilled and honest, never a problem. I use the dealer so Iwill have a record of regular maintenance, if something goes wrong, I have my records and some skilled att'y friends.

Boomer--it aint rocket science, friends.
BR/FR/AT