2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truthfully, is it better than an S2000?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 04:26 AM
Slexis200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truthfully, is it better than an S2000?

OK, now im not just talking speed. I drove the Honda S2000, and it was amazing (i wanted to try it out before my Z comes) The shifting is amazing, and the low torque issue that peopel bring up was not an issue. The car was plenty fast for around town, and i could only imagine in a race. The suspension is tough, and very good. The interior is perfect for the driver, its all about the driver, its plain simple and very nice. Im 6"2 about 160 lbs, and i fit perfectly.
See now im in love with the Z and i remmber seing it at the car show and it was amazing, deffinitly better looking on the outside than the S2000. But the S2000 is great looking as well, and eaither choice is great. But that shifter was so slick and smooth, wow you have no idea. Ive driven many cars, and this one of the best. Im not really a convertable man, but its still great.

Heres the question...... Who here who actually owns, or has really driven the 350Z and the S2000 can compare the two?? Does the 350Z has an amazing shift? Im assuming i sort of have the feel of how it will drive since i own a G35, obviously its different but just an idea. I must say, the 350Z is amazing, but this S2000 really surprised me, its so nice........ I dont wanna hear this if your not 100% dont get it. Because ill be more than happy with whichever i get. For now my car is comming Sept 10. I really hope it drive as well as that honda. That suspension is dam stiff, but in a good way. Please reply back!
Old 08-22-2002, 04:27 AM
Slexis200

Default I meant....

I meant i drove it just today.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:55 AM
Todd

Well, I haven't even seen a Z yet, much less driven one, but I did test drive an S2000 for the heck of it yesterday. Nice little car, but I don't think I could get used to the engine's serious lack of low-end tourque. I think driving it after awhile could become a bit of a chore. It was also very tight inside. At this point I'm glad I went with the Z....
Old 08-22-2002, 05:34 AM
Slexis200

Default ok

Ive got to say, the low torque was no issue for me, that little thing flies...... Very zippy, you might have to rev, but it revs so quick it doesnt matter. Also i plan on getting one for nicely under MSRP, like for 30,000 even. Its not very hard here in teh new york area. Theyre very popular, but its easy to bargain. (especially when you have Z papers in your hands) The Z is awsome, and will prpbly be quicker in a straight line, and even much better looking. But i dont know if its better, i think both look great. Ansl also the convertable is awsome. I like the looks of coupes betyter but convertable feels so good. Especailly today when i drove it.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:26 AM
Zoro

Default Re: Truthfully, is it better than an S2000?

Originally posted by Slexis200
OK, now im not just talking speed. I drove the Honda S2000, and it was amazing (i wanted to try it out before my Z comes) The shifting is amazing, and the low torque issue that peopel bring up was not an issue. The car was plenty fast for around town, and i could only imagine in a race. The suspension is tough, and very good. The interior is perfect for the driver, its all about the driver, its plain simple and very nice. Im 6"2 about 160 lbs, and i fit perfectly.
See now im in love with the Z and i remmber seing it at the car show and it was amazing, deffinitly better looking on the outside than the S2000. But the S2000 is great looking as well, and eaither choice is great. But that shifter was so slick and smooth, wow you have no idea. Ive driven many cars, and this one of the best. Im not really a convertable man, but its still great.

Heres the question...... Who here who actually owns, or has really driven the 350Z and the S2000 can compare the two?? Does the 350Z has an amazing shift? Im assuming i sort of have the feel of how it will drive since i own a G35, obviously its different but just an idea. I must say, the 350Z is amazing, but this S2000 really surprised me, its so nice........ I dont wanna hear this if your not 100% dont get it. Because ill be more than happy with whichever i get. For now my car is comming Sept 10. I really hope it drive as well as that honda. That suspension is dam stiff, but in a good way. Please reply back!
you have to be the guy they were ragging on over at the s2000 forum. I've been there and done that too.

Like you I was really impressed with the S2000, found it had plenty of foot and head room. I also liked the rather sparse interior wasn't crazy about the digital dash. But unless you go vtech the car takes off about like a miata, which isn't bad but isn't good. I don't like the ideal of having to pop the clutch at 7000rpm to try to keep up with a 6 cly mustang at a stop light. Also I think for longer trips the drone from the engine revs and wind noise would cause a little bit of fatigue. I think that car is a superb handler probably better than the z could ever be. But I'm sitting it out till I can take a spin in my preorderd z. It should only be another 6 weeks or so. And the Z with the exception of some exotics has to be one of the nicest looking sports out there.

If you have a z preordered I'd wait. If not? Then that would make the S2000 the only thing available unless you wanted to pay big markups till next year.

Btw: The best price I found on a new 02 S2000 was $32,315 plus tax/doc/plates. I didn't inquire what the charge for doc was but it's probably approx $500.00 from what I've seen.

Last edited by Zoro; 08-22-2002 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:50 AM
rai

My test drive of the S2000 was the funnest time behind the wheel of a car. It is the ultimate roller coaster ride. No problem with it's lack of torque.

I used to own a Z3 and it was also fun to drive, but in this world of tractor trailers and SUV's I feel more comfortable in a largish car around me and side and head air bags sound like a good idea.

If you live in NY, I think you won't want to drive the S2000 year round. It is a perfect third car, but for daily commutes in all types of weather, a convertible is not the answer. Also highway driving is not much fun.

The S2000 may be harder to mod, as you say it has a smaller owner base, and it already is putting out 120 hp/liter. The Z has more room to grow as far as adding hp goes.

You can't go wrong with either car, but if you are not really a convertible guy than stick with the tin roof

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2002, 07:42 AM
Slexis200

Default ya

I agree with the Z being the better looking one, although i think i like the interior of the S2000 more. Also agree you cannot go wrong with eaither. But im so excited of how awsome the S2000 was! Will it shift like an S2000? It was so easy and perfect! im really not sure now, my Z is comming soon so im going to wait. Oh yeah and those people that cared about the visibility? who cares, how bad can it really be? Ill 95% prob get the Z. But dam that S2000 made a lasting impression on me. It was amazing. When your not racing i think its got more than enough power like for around town.......dammit, this is gonna be a hard decision i cant waait till the Z comes, i have a stomach ache from all this!