Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Looking into 350z as a project car

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Lite350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sik350
Your not going to find the answer that your looking for. Most of the members that are going to post on your thread has not tried to acheive your goals or has never done what your trying to do. Your going to get a bunch of bs answers.

I see your point. I guess thats what intrigues me about going this way with the 350z. I do see most people just boost to make up for the heavier weight, but I don't want to have to deal with problems associated with that. I guess the reason I came on here is to get weight reduction ideas from people who actually have the car because one, you can physically see things that might be taken off or two, you've actually done some little things here and there.

The other reason I posted was to see what else was done to that drifting 350z that I can't tell from the pics. It looks like gutted doors
Old 10-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Lite350z

I know the base model with a spd is the lightest model but is there a weight difference between years? if so which is the lightest?

edit: I found it online. The 03-04's are 3188lbs and the 06-07's are 3338lbs. Is there anything wrong with the 03-04's that I shouldn't look to find one of them?

Last edited by Lite350z; 10-28-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I would say the Z is a pretty expensive project car. There alot of better options that will cost as much as boosting the Z. If money is of no pbject then go right ahead and start planning but if your in budget then look at some other whips..
Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Lite350z

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
I would say the Z is a pretty expensive project car. There alot of better options that will cost as much as boosting the Z. If money is of no pbject then go right ahead and start planning but if your in budget then look at some other whips..
I am not planning on boosting a Z.

I can't see the Z costing more than any other project car that fits my requirements.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
WhiteNoiz

What kind of weight and hp did you have in mind?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Lite350z

With the Z, it would be ~2800lbs and 300hp.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:26 AM
yoichi

buy mine!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lite350z
With the Z, it would be ~2800lbs and 300hp.
To get to 2800lbs it'll take alot of carbon fiber and a few other things to be changed and or removed (will become costly). Since the Z is already very well balanced u have to be careful in what u remove so u don't throw the natural balance off. You can however get too just under 300 with some bolt ons and a tune so that part of the equation can be achived for about 2-3K.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Lite350z

Originally Posted by Highway Riding
To get to 2800lbs it'll take alot of carbon fiber and a few other things to be changed and or removed (will become costly). Since the Z is already very well balanced u have to be careful in what u remove so u don't throw the natural balance off. You can however get too just under 300 with some bolt ons and a tune so that part of the equation can be achived for about 2-3K.
In respect to weight:
I don't think it will take a lot of carbon fiber to achieve taking 200lbs from each the back and front. Understandably, I can't make to many guesses until I have a chasis, but the rear should be doable based on comparison of pictures. The front will be the challenge, but I am sure there is a lot that the average Z owner wouldn't take out or think to take out that I will look into doing. I am having trouble deciding which year chassis I should look for. I've read that the newer ones are more rigid, therefore maybe accounting for some of the extra weight between early and newer. But does the VQ35HR weight anymore than the VQ35DE?

In respect to power:
Are you talking about bolt ons and tune on the DE or HR? or does it not matter? I am trying to understand the power difference between the two, but also the system that rates them changed to so how much does that effect the difference? I've seen a couple of threads with 300whp with bolt ons and reflash on HR's
Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by Lite350z
In respect to power:
Are you talking about bolt ons and tune on the DE or HR? or does it not matter? I am trying to understand the power difference between the two, but also the system that rates them changed to so how much does that effect the difference? I've seen a couple of threads with 300whp with bolt ons and reflash on HR's
yep! its not hard to get there with the HR. the HR puts out a little bit more from the get-go, and responds better to mods, which is why the 300+ is relatively easy to get. and your weight goals dont seem to hard to obtain, at least not as hard as everyone else is saying
Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Lite350z

Originally Posted by Mike@Blackline
yep! its not hard to get there with the HR. the HR puts out a little bit more from the get-go, and responds better to mods, which is why the 300+ is relatively easy to get. and your weight goals dont seem to hard to obtain, at least not as hard as everyone else is saying
The HR looks very promising, but I am having a hell of a time trying to find information of swapping it into DE 350z. I can understand why, seeing as it would cost a good bit for a little gain compared to forced induction, but if all I can get is a rolling chasis then I am going to need an engine anyway so why not get the best VQ.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Busted*Shox

Interesting
Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

From what i've read before, its a pain to swap out a DE for a HR. You would def need the new hood because its motor is actually taller than the DE. $ wise go for the 03-04, your going to gut everything else anyway so who cares if its a little abused. If i were doing a Z project the first thing i would do is strip the car, then suspension, then brakes, then wheels, have the car balance with me sitting in it and finally power. Its up to you on the quality of product to get but you can always get things used.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:33 PM
finalforce

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the recipe to save some cash and have the connections for fabrication, I say go for it. If your leaning towardz weight savings, buy a roller and do what signal auto did to their Z. Skim the fat, swap the motor for an SR, upgrade the turbo and gut it out and replace some of the body parts w/carbon fiber. Your looking at a lot of power and weight savings.

Last edited by finalforce; 10-30-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Lite350z

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
From what i've read before, its a pain to swap out a DE for a HR. You would def need the new hood because its motor is actually taller than the DE. $ wise go for the 03-04, your going to gut everything else anyway so who cares if its a little abused. If i were doing a Z project the first thing i would do is strip the car, then suspension, then brakes, then wheels, have the car balance with me sitting in it and finally power. Its up to you on the quality of product to get but you can always get things used.
hmm interesting input. I knew the new hoods had bumps, but I never noticed any height difference in photos of the bays. A new hood is an easy fix and actually helps narrow down what I should look for when searching for the chassis. i.e. a rolling 03-04 Z with front end damage. I know I have to becareful of more serious unseen damage if there front end damage but thats where a dad as a mechanic comes in handy With the actual swap I was more concerned about swapping the DE and HR ecu and wiring. The plan is always changing and is always open to change, but as it stands now:

*Removing excess weight from the front (bare essientials that I feel safe with)
*Then remove excess weight from the back equal to that of the weight removed from the front plus the wieght of a chromoly cage. Now before I get attacked, I know it is a street car and cages are dangerous due to head injury. But if designed right to hug the inside of skeleton and be specifically placed out of the way of possible head movement, I don't see it to be a problem.
* Suspension and brakes. Now I know this is going to be expensive as I have already looked into the parts, but I have a few ideas to offset the cost. I am also open to suggestions to what suspension and brake components to use. (I've browsed Stop Tech and SPL Parts) Personal experience with street/race setup would be very helpful.
* Then power adders like simple bolt ons and tune.
*Wheels and tires can come in at anytime depending on the condition of what I get with the rolling chassis (Hopefully some big ugly bling bling chrome ones that some sucker put on that I can sell to another person with that taste. I can dream cant I? ) and what deals may arise.

I am in no real rush to get a project built because I would rather get it right then rush so this also plays into my advantage of looking for deals. I am also I very good budgeter (is that even a word?). My day to day part time job is easy and allows me to work a lot of hours. So even though it minimum wage, I can make an income that not only allows me to pay for bills, needs and girlfriend (probably the most expensive part ) but also to save a good bit of change too. This is made possible by various cash bonuses I can get while working. Also on the side I run my own detailing business which with the right customers is very lucrative. Possibly even lucrative enough to start my own shop, but choose not to because I feel an education is important incase something happens that would prevent me for detailing (liking getting old haha). Since I got the whole life story going on (sorry), I mind as well tell you that I am currently going to school to be a civil engineer. I am providing this background so you guys know where I am coming from and realize I am not yanking your chain around with all my questions.

Originally Posted by finalforce
You have the recipe to save some cash and have the connections for fabrication, I say go for it. If your leaning towardz weight savings, buy a roller and do what signal auto did to their Z. Skim the fat, swap the motor for an SR, upgrade the turbo and gut it out and replace some of the body parts w/carbon fiber. Your looking at a lot of power and weight savings.
I don't know if I have seen the signal auto Z, unless its the one that has the motor mounted a lot farther back requiring firewall cutting and trans tunnel cutting. A motor swap other than a DE for HR is not going to happen. I love the design of the VQ35HR. Plus seeing as my family is an old school V8 muscle car family, I think this powerful V6 is a good middle ground between FI I4's, which is the trend and girthy V8's. This way I can further lure my father intrest in such a project.

The replacement of parts with carbon fiber will be carefully thought out. Reason one being that the real weight saving carbon fiber is expensive, and reason two being that I have to consider how much is actually being lost (including mount equipment) compared to price. This bring up something I was looking for. Is there an aftermarket front bumpers that weight less then stock (excluding carbon fiber ones)? Is there any comparison thread on this topic?

I really appreciate the help and discussion the thread has brought out from Z owners.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Lite350z

anyone have any weights of stock or aftermarket skin? (ie bumpers,hoods, trunks, and fenders)