Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What to do when a salesman Lies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 08:58 AM
G}{H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do when a salesman Lies?

Here is my story anyone got advise before I start loosing my temper.

The day I purchased my 350Z I had already spent some time at Difeo BMW and discussed a price and lease payments. I was pretty set on purchasing a 325i with sport package, because I had spent the weekend driving a friend’s. The car was in the showroom and prepped for me to take at a very reasonable lease rate. I wanted to check out the 350Z because although impractical it was one of my dream cars and I needed to test drive it just to weigh the options.

After taking it for a test drive to my house to insure it gets up my steep driveway, I fell in love with the car and wanted it. Impractical or not it was the car I wanted. My salesman John Suarez at Elmwood Nissan sat down to discuss lease pricing. The initial price was quite high but I was told that ALL Maintenance and all fluid changes would be covered free of charge for the length of my 4 year lease by Elmwood Nissan Service. With minor exceptions like tire wear or damage, brake service and service caused by abuse. I was also told that a free loaner car would be provided if needed, but for that I would have to call a week or more in advance because they do not have too many of them. I didn’t agree on that price but the offer was enticing. I made them an offer that was still allot more than the BMW but more reasonable for me to pay, I was asked to provide a credit card to prove I was serious. While providing my card I asked to confirm that the free service and rental was still going to be included John said yes.

Getting all my maintenance covered for free was one of the main selling points to help me justify the higher lease cost, lack of a back seat, no trunk space for my DJ equipment, and the fact that I needed to get an alternate car for the winter. That and the fact that it is a beautiful car inside and out. After agreeing on a lease payment and signing the papers I was off in my new 350Z happy as could be. It was late so they scheduled me to come back 2 days later to get the car detailed. While waiting for the car to be detailed I asked once again about the free service and loaner and how to go about scheduling maintenance when the time comes. John informed me that all I would have to do is make an appointment with Elmwood Nissan Service. He also reminded me if I needed the free loaner car I would have to schedule at least a week or two in advance.

I took my 350Z in for the 3,750 mile service this morning. This is where I was informed that I will be paying for ALL service and maintenance and there was no free loaner car.

I placed a call into my salesman John this morning, I would like to give them 3 options.

Option 1
Give me what was promised, all scheduled maintenance and fluid changes free of charge, I will do without the free loaner car.

Option 2
Lower my lease rate to my new ridiculously lower but fair rate, to compensate for suckering me into a car and make up for my maintenance fees that I will incur while I own the car.

Option 3
I want out of my lease with reimbursement for my Taxes, Title and Fees that I paid up front. They may keep all payments for use of the car.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:06 AM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What to do when a salesman Lies?

Originally posted by G}{H
but I was told that ALL Maintenance and all fluid changes would be covered free of charge for the length of my 4 year lease by Elmwood Nissan Service.
Did you get this in writing?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:08 AM
HokieZ

Did you get this in writing from them? If not, I'm not sure what recourse you have. I had a much smaller issue of this which I haven't resolved yet when I picked mine up with a dent in the bumper. They fixed that as they said they would (I got it in writing) but the paint isn't quite what I wanted which they said they would fix if I brought it back. I did this, and everyone acted like I was crazy. Now on their behalf, stuff like this they sub out and my salesman wasn't there so it could have been an honest mistake. To avoid another 30 minute drive there I bought a $2.99 bottle of the paint and plan on touching it up myself. If it still looks unacceptable, I'll take it back there.

Good luck!

HokieZ
Old 08-14-2003, 09:11 AM
G}{H

Like any excited new Z owner I did not think at the time. I really don't care if it's covered or not at this point what has me pissed is the fact that he lied to sway me from the BMW. That or he was misinformed. It comes down to principle now.

If I do not get one of my 3 options I will go to the Bergen Record as well as one of the lawyers I do IT consulting for and make allot of noise untill someone pacifies me.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:26 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Legal status

Like any excited new Z owner I did not think at the time. I really don't care if it's covered or not at this point what has me pissed is the fact that he lied to sway me from the BMW. That or he was misinformed. It comes down to principle now.

If I do not get one of my 3 options I will go to the Bergen Record as well as one of the lawyers I do IT consulting for and make allot of noise untill someone pacifies me.
Your principle not withstanding.... if it is in the contract then they owe it to you. If it did not make it in the written contract you will need a witness that heard the promise made in the verbal contract. (Unless THEY admit to promising it.)

If you can't prove that the maintenance was on the written contract or on a verbal contract then you are out of luck. Without some other contract to the contrary any court will simply enforce the written and signed paper contract.

You might get pacified if you make a big enough comotion. Good luck with that if you choose that path.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:08 AM
MadMax76

There isn't much you can do here because it's your word against his. I hate to say this but I can tell you a lot of things and it doesn't mean that it's true. Dealers do it all the time and a lot of people know it, but somehow overlook it. Tell them nicely that you are a member of this forum and bunch of other forums (they don't have to exist you can just lie to them) and that you going to tell everyone not to go to this dealership and all that kind of stuff. Scare them but I still don't know if they buy it, depends how good you are, and I don't want to sound pessimistic but unless you had it in writting there are not too many options for you. I hope it works out though. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:27 AM
350zroadster

Why - track him down and egg/key/dent his car
Old 08-14-2003, 10:32 AM
WashUJon

Talk to the GM. Tell him exactly what you've said here. Tell him you've told other people. Make it known that you're getting the word out. He'll probably capitulate in some manner.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:35 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Well from what it sounds like your SOL. A little rule a smart Prof I once had told me "Never Written, Never Said". Hence if it isn't written down you have no case what so ever against them. This is why I like to take along another party with the intention of making sure my love of something doesn't screw me in the end run.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:00 PM
G}{H

Originally posted by 350zroadster
Why - track him down and egg/key/dent his car
I prefer face to face confrontation, I am not a coward
Old 08-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Zsilverstone13

Complain to Nissan North America about the dealer.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Poison123
Google Bot

Complaining to NNA probably won't do anything in this case. Mainly because these sounds purely like dealer options that NNA has nothing to do with. To my knowledge NNA doesn't make it company policy to give loaners. But just wondering how much cheaper could the Beamer have been to lease than a Z, since their comparable to the Ethu in cost?
Old 08-14-2003, 01:21 PM
gooters

If it's not in writing you are screwed (read:F*****). I like 350Roadster's line of thinking...I hadn't even finished with your first post when I was thinking "he forgot option 4: break this guy's face"
Old 08-14-2003, 01:33 PM
SlamMan

I prefer face to face confrontation, I am not a coward
Then kick his f u k i n a s s. Unless you have it in writing or the dealer feels like letting you out of the deal, your hosed.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Zsilverstone13

Complaining to NNA is not going to help, but I think NNA has some kind of program to make sure Nissan's customers getting the right service from the dealers.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Enron Exec

OMG.. I had almost the exact same problem with my dealer.

I walk into my local Nissan dealership at 9:30 pm one night and was hell bent on getting the 350Z. I negotiated that the dealer would pay for a free oil change w/ Mobil 1 synthetic and they agreed. Then my sales person added that he would pay for another 3 synthetic oil changes himself. This was good enough so i closed the deal and awaited for my 350 the next day.

I decided to stick to the regular mineral oil for my first oil change at 3400 miles to let the car break in so i payed for the first oil change myself. But then when i tried to call my salesman for my second oil change at 6400 miles, the dealership said he no longer worked there any more. After talking with the GM of that Nissan dealership, he refuses to do anything for me for free because i didnt have anything in writing even though he said himself that he remember me buying the 350Z off his lot that night. I had my parents with me the night they made the verbal contract. Does this count?

I left the lot that day feeling like i got taken advantage of. The worst part of this is, this is just 1 of 3 things i have a beef with at this dealership.

When I had my second oil change, I also asked the service department to check for a leaking air vent on the dash blowing cold air onto the windshield. They say they couldnt find any such a problem so i decided to live with this small nit picky issue. But when i drove off the lot and onto work... I found a wad of dried chewing gum stuck into the fabric of my passenger seat. It looked like someone tried to get as much of it out as possible, but it was too late. I talked to the service manager the next day and he said he would order me a new seat cover, that was 3 weeks ago and i havent heard from him since. Ive been too busy at work to care about a wad of gum but 3 weeks is enough. Im just about out of patience by now.

Third, my car already had the front license plate on when i purchased the car but now ive decided to take it off for the looks. When i took off the license plate holder, i found that someone had drilled the screws too deep on the license plate into the holder and had gone through enough to make 2 cuts into my front bumper. So in addition to the 2 regualr holes needed to hold the license plate holder, I have 2 cuts or semi holes in my bumper. I bought some touch up paint from them and it seems to be an OK fix, but it is still noticable standing 3 feet away I think. Asking for a new bumper would be way off IMHO, but what else can the service dept do... without putting more gum in my car?

I have been very patient up to now but I am going to raise hell as soon as i have a plan of action. What do you guys think i should do. And please leave keying and punching ppl as the LAST option. Thanx. 8-)
Old 08-14-2003, 07:16 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Enron Exec
When i took off the license plate holder, i found that someone had drilled the screws too deep on the license plate into the holder and had gone through enough to make 2 cuts into my front bumper. So in addition to the 2 regualr holes needed to hold the license plate holder, I have 2 cuts or semi holes in my bumper.
Had that exact same thing, about the gouges in the bumper. Dealer fixed the gouges, but not the huge gaping holes drilled into the bumper. They'll probably be more than likely to help you fix the gouge problem.

Or so I hope.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:23 PM
350zroadster

It's not about being a coward. There's nothing you can do, if you didn't get it in writing.

If you beat him up, he can file charges against you.

He costs you some money and you can do the same.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Duflacci

1. All car salesman are liars. The GM's are the expert liars

2. They bounce from one dealership to another

3. They bet on working someplace else before a consumer realizes they've been duped

4. buyer beware

BTW the place I bought mine promised me free oil changes for as long as I own the car and I purchased mine

only problem is the dealer I bought it from is over 100 miles away....but I got hell of a deal....
Old 08-15-2003, 04:51 PM
superman78

1. All car salesman are liars. The GM's are the expert liars
This is a pretty educated statement! Anybody else smell the ignorance here?
I was actually quite happy with my dealership experience and my salesperson....wow!

Quick Reply: What to do when a salesman Lies?