Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Extended dealer warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM
eesnas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended dealer warranty?

So today I bought an '04 base model, with my high-mileage old trade in it was 13,800, the Z only has 34k miles on it and seems to run fabulous. The dealer offered a warranty for an extra $1,300. I have some time to think about it, which I will do, but overall my loan is only around 12k so if I have $1,300 to spend I will just put it towards paying the car off. In the past I have bought warranties but they never seem to actually cover stuff that breaks, fundementally I just have something against spending money on "just in case" type of stuff.

I view stuff like extended warranties as the dealer is making the bet it won't break and I would be betting it will. Based on the condition of the car, the way I treat my stuff, and my prior experiences I am betting the car will not break and if it did it would be something not covered. I don't know anything about the cost of servicing on these, I owned a BMW for 8 years so I imagine this won't be quite as high. It's a ton of fine print and I know this is a very generally scripted question but a 2004 base model with only 34k on it, does $1,300 seem like a waste to spend on a warranty. I am heavily leaning towards not buying the warranty, the car is pretty cheap so I just cannot justify spending another $1,300 on an "in case something bad happens" warranty. If I do but the warranty it covers 5 years or 75k miles from today, not bad but do I really need it?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If I tell you no the car will break down next week.
If I tell you yes you will have 100,000 problem free miles.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 PM
daryl.blas

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by davidv
If I tell you no the car will break down next week.
If I tell you yes you will have 100,000 problem free miles.
^
Well said.
Crazy part is that's COMPLETELY TRUE.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 AM
SoldzMyZ

I personally would not. That's just me since most work is not covered, at least from my experience.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 AM
eesnas

Originally Posted by booey1979
I personally would not. That's just me since most work is not covered, at least from my experience.
Yeah, that's how I feel too... I will look it over carefully and make an informed decision later in the week anyways.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that extended warranty crap is ALL BS. Don't waste the $.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
rickyj59

I wouldn't waste the money, most problems occur ater 100,000 miles, thats what I told the guy at the dealer trying to sell me the warranty. He actually had no argument with that reasoning. I'm at 60,000 miles, no problems except hatch pistons which were repaired under warranty.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
sir captian

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
that extended warranty crap is ALL BS. Don't waste the $.
I dont know about you guys but my Z came with a basic 36000 warranty wich sucks in my opinion.The finance dude gave me a small dicount on a extended warranty so I thought it was worth the extra 20 bucks or so a month to be covered for 77000 miles.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Dealsgap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It depends...are you keeping the car

I got the extended with my 08 because it was going to cost me $300 less by getting it at time of purchase. I also knew going in that I would be keeping the car past 3 yrs. The Z, along with most cars today that can do what it can do, are pretty sophisticated and anything that needs to be done on it will costs. To me the extra money spent was worth it but if you don't plan on keeping the car I probably would not get it.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just rolled 75,000 miles and did not use the extended warranty one time. The $1100 gave me peace of mind, that's all. But can't argue with davidv, the guy is a freaking philosopher, lol
Old 12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
deathfist

i bought a 05 roadster touring back in february 08. it had 32k on it. it cost around 21k or so. the extended warranty was offered to me also. i bought it. it cost me $1500.good thing to. ok so my extended warranty has a $75.00 deductable.
and remember my ride is a daily driver in LA. i put over 500 miles on it a week!

ok so 4 weeks after i owned it clutch went down. extended warranty covered it replaced master and slave cylinders. that repair was around $500 if not covered.

second time, back in october 08. throttle body position sensor goes down. guy says its $800 bucks...extended warranty takes care of this too.

just recently, 11-29 the right side air bag (side) controle module thingy goes down..luckly this was covered by the original warranty and it was replaced for free.. i think it was $60k 6 years on that part...

i have over 52k on the car now and im covered up to 92k miles or 3 years...so with my situation i'm close to breaking even in repairs/warranty cost. im sure i'll get close, i have another 2 years left; but i'll probably hit the mile marker first.

hope that helped
Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 PM
SoldzMyZ

I personally put 40k in 2 years on my Z. Only problem was the battery dying, the hatch struts going out and hitting my on the head. Fixed the first problem, waiting to do the second. The warranty company keep calling me trying to see me an extension. Screw that!
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 PM
cpost

I have a 6 year 100k mile warranty.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 PM
eesnas

Are these sold by Nissan or someone else?

The warranty I am looking at is from a Chrysler dealer and it is issued by a company called "CNA National".

Looked over the paperwork tonight, it looks like it's a good deal but I feel like these things always have fine print and nothing gets covered. Read stuff tonight about leaking oil and engine swaps, I am going to try not to feed into the fear. I look at it like $1,300 is almost 10% of what I laid out, so in my mind it's like a 10% markup if I buy it and nothing goes wrong under coverage.

Last edited by eesnas; 12-09-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 AM
halcyon901

are you sure you want to buy something through Chrysler?

if you look towards the bottom of this page, you will see a link to "Nissan Extended Warranty." i'd rather buy the extended from Nissan, that way, you can service your car at Nissan dealerships
Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 AM
eesnas

Originally Posted by halcyon901
are you sure you want to buy something through Chrysler?

if you look towards the bottom of this page, you will see a link to "Nissan Extended Warranty." i'd rather buy the extended from Nissan, that way, you can service your car at Nissan dealerships
Yeah, I'm fine with it- it's just a used car (maybe a Ferrari I'd care), I don't care what type of dealer it comes from (someone traded it in) as long as the car is in good condition. I went to the Nissan dealer and they didn't have an Z's in the used section, the Chrysler dealer is very large and reputable so I feel fine about it, they had a lot of brands at their lot. Just to clarify, the warranty package they offered will be honored at Nissan dealers, even has things like rental coverage and roadside. It's not a bad deal, I think I am just against the ideas of warranties due to experiences in the past, I am still researching more...

Last edited by eesnas; 12-10-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Frank@MtroNiss

Default EXTENDED WARRANTY

If the car has under 36000 miles you can go to a nissan dealer and purchase an extended warranty,,I myself would only go with the Nissan Security Plus.if anything while the car is in for warranty repairs it will cover a rental car in most cases..and its good at any Nissan dealer
Old 12-10-2008, 06:00 PM
eesnas

Originally Posted by Frank@MtroNiss
If the car has under 36000 miles you can go to a nissan dealer and purchase an extended warranty,,I myself would only go with the Nissan Security Plus.if anything while the car is in for warranty repairs it will cover a rental car in most cases..and its good at any Nissan dealer
I know I can ask them but, how much is it?

Edit: I will look into it but the one they offered me is good at Nissan dealers and has rental service also... non-the-less I will look into the Nissan one too...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM
eesnas

Meh... the "Nissan Warranty" at http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.co...igibility.html

is nothing more than what appears to be another 3rd party deal, looks like they will cover almost anything as long as it's not an exotic. The coverage looks identical to the one I was offered but it costs significantly more. I think the only reason I am even considering it is because of the fact my old BMW blew a motor, but it happened 5 months after my warranty expired

I have heard all this stuff about oil leakage on the 350z, mainly on these forums, if I did not read that stuff I would have already forgotten about this warranty, I guess I have 30 days to think it over, but $1,300 can be used in so many other ways, correct me if I am wrong but these cars are very reliable from what I know. Obviously you guys know more than me because I have only had mine a few hours, how bad are the repairs in general? I am not a racer and I plan to leave it all stock, so long as I take care of it I expect it to not blow a motor or anything, is my expectation unrealistic with this car?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

had 8200 miles on my 05 Roadster Touring, they wouldn't cover my Nav door and Navigation system when the door kept sticking and finally stayed shut. **** NIssan and their extended warranties.

BTW, it was covered under the original 3/36K but not the extended! BS! Traded it in 2 weeks later and still waiting on my fukcing refund check from the dealership!

So no its not worth the $!

Last edited by zand02max; 12-10-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended dealer warranty?