Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

dealership tried to play me like a fool

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
tanabe350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealership tried to play me like a fool

ok hes a great story i hope some will enjoy. i took my car in to texas nissan to get some things fixed on my car. i had the throttle body replaced, my gps door replaced, and have my sub replaced. i had just hit 30000 miles going to the dealership and they suggested that i get my check up. which entails getting all my fluids replaced and what not. sounded good until the said 775 for something i could get done for under 300. so i tell them no. went to pick up my car today and pay my fees for the non warrantied items i had to replace, thinking to myself no more than $100. when i get there they want 944.03. i nearly hit the roof. after talking to the man who had helped me he said he went ahead and did it anyway because i verbally agreed to it.

well i start to get angry cause this is crap and ask for his manager. his manager tells me that they cannot give me my car unless i pay and that i gave the go ahead and all that for the work to be done and all this other ********.

to make a long story short i called the cops, was about to press charges when he said he do it all for 270. lucky for him cause i was about to press charges lol.

funny how dealerships try to do things like this. and i know this isnt the most exciting story just thought id share my adventure with the rest of the community.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I burst out laughing
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 PM
goneinsixtyseconds

don't nissan dealerships in the states print off work orders (and have you sign it) prior to doing anything to your car?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 PM
tanabe350z

i decided not to tell them until the got there. wanted it to be a suprise. what they dont know is that my neighbor is the texas rep for nissan and im pretty sure there both getting fired. that is the service manager and the got i originally took "care" of my car.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 PM
tanabe350z

Originally Posted by goneinsixtyseconds
don't nissan dealerships in the states print off work orders (and have you sign it) prior to doing anything to your car?
yes they do lol. and its ok it all needed to be done and i got it done for near nothing so i came out ahead
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my girlfriend knows who she is.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
tanabe350z

Originally Posted by surfcity40
my girlfriend knows who she is.
not a she a he. he lives in southlake texas i could give you his address. but maybe theres more than one idk.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM
1cleanz

lol i bet they dident know what to do when the cops got there. you should of took a pic of there faces
Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 PM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanabe350z
yes they do lol. and its ok it all needed to be done and i got it done for near nothing so i came out ahead

What do you mean. Did the workorder you sign say all the work was going to be done?

Also, in a case like this, what would the cops do? What exactly would the charges be?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by goneinsixtyseconds
yes they do, or they are supposed to.

i know mine aks me if i need anything done after explaining it all, then has me sign the sheet authorizing them to do the work.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:38 AM
johns350

Default Which dealership?

Texas Nissan of Grapevine??

And by chance - who was the service writer? Just first name....I get my car serviced there - and my Murano. Usually pretty good guys.

Unfortunately (for them) - I have purchased both cars from Nissan of Dallas - better deals, more inventory to chose from, etc.

Last edited by johns350; 01-10-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 AM
350z-Jim

Crazy story that's terrible. I would have taken a pic with my camera when the police showed up, that would be awesome.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by tanabe350z
so basically, you signed the paper authorizing the work, then freaked out about the bill (you even said you knew the price beforehand). by the way you are gloating about it, sounds like it was you that ripped them off, not vise-versa.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:33 AM
dhays

Originally Posted by Z04
so basically, you signed the paper authorizing the work, then freaked out about the bill (you even said you knew the price beforehand). by the way you are gloating about it, sounds like it was you that ripped them off, not vise-versa.
My impression was that they did the work without a signed authorization.

My guess is that the service rep simply misunderstood the communication. Easy to do; Rep asks if he wants the service, OP asks what is included, Rep tells him, OP says that sounds like a good idea but how much?, Rep tells him, OP says "nah, I'll have to think about it", meantime Rep isn't listening and is typing up a work order.

I'm sure the Rep honestly believes that the OP verbally authorized it and is hugely pissed off that the OP scammed them. Likewise, the OP is sure he didn't verbally authorize and is convinced the dealership tried to scam him. That is the reason for the signed authorizations, to avoid any misunderstanding.

I've found that it always helps to give the other party the benefit of the doubt and assume that their intentions are good until you have proof to the contrary. Often it can save a lot of shouting and legal fees and things can get worked out quickly and cordially.

Last edited by dhays; 01-10-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 AM
JDM SigEp Z33

I have to agree..

he said the guy thought he "verbally agreed" therefor i dont think there were any papers signed.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 AM
coleycole

A dealership is a business that keeps its doors open by making a profit. They may say that you need something done, that does not need to be done for another few months but all in all they are trying to keep your car on the road and you happy so that you come back for more service and hopefully buy more cars from them. In this case there is nothing the cops could have done except laugh at you for calling them over nonsense.
This sounds like a simple case of misunderstanding, that was taken much further then it needed to be.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 AM
eshine1

Good thing it worked out for you in the end. Cops don't get involved in civil business matters. There's no criminal charge you can press.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:07 AM
tanabe350z

Originally Posted by Z04
the only thing i signed was approving the work to be done on the gps door, the subwoofer, and the throttle body and have a copy of that paper. my signature was nowhere else and didnt approve the other work they did and the guys name was andrew for the other guy from southlake, his managers name was steve
Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by coleycole
A dealership is a business that keeps its doors open by making a profit. They may say that you need something done, that does not need to be done for another few months but all in all they are trying to keep your money in their pocketand you happy so that you come back for more service and hopefully buy more cars from them. In this case there is nothing the cops could have done except laugh at you for calling them over nonsense.
This sounds like a simple case of misunderstanding, that was taken much further then it needed to be.
Fixed, yes then run off profit. But they target the weak/stupid/gullible and try get every penny from them.

Other than warrenty work , my car will never see a dealership. Hell it will never see an autoshop either, most arn't much better.

Quick Reply: dealership tried to play me like a fool