Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z as only car or second car

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
wyoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z as only car or second car

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but from the few months I've been on this site it sure seems there are a fair number of people for whom the Z is their only vehicle. I may be way off here, but I doubt the majority of those who bought a Z brand-new, or new-used, did so with the intent for it to be their only transportation. I certaintly did not, and enjoy it all the more because.

Now that there are six years worth of 350Z's available, there is an abundant number of half used-up ones to be had for a very attainable price - by just about anyone. As such, it is plausable to conclude this is the very reason so many are now driving the Z as their only vehicle. I personally would never want to drive a two seater sports car as my everyday vehicle - I just do not see it as that practical and would not want to put that kind of wear and tear on a vehicle were maintenance and repair is a bit more expense and occurs quicker when driven daily.

I'm willing to bet years ago this site looked quite different; with far less people professing to be looking to buy a used Z and asking stupid questions, less people claiming to be financially independent as a teenager, and probably many more people who could at least type a complete, coherent sentence.

Sorry to those who object or take offense to my views, I just needed to vent a little about what I see going on.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:48 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Drive a 350Z everyday like to work and the grocery store? And wear out the tires? Dear Lord that would be an abomination!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:26 PM
WhiskeyHotel

Color me abominable, I guess.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
black06z

Majority of Z owners, use it as a daily. It's not an $100+k exotic, and its not THAT special to be worried about daily driving. From your post, the Z is not for you.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM
rob6118

I bought mine as a second vehicle/date vehicle/weekend toy/more fuel effecient highway trip car.

Unfortunately it is really really hard to convince myself to get back into my jeep cherokee after driving the Z. I like that the jeep sits up higher, and it would be cheaper to replace in an accident, but that is it.

As a result my Z has become basically my daily driver. I just take the jeep when I need a back seat, or when I don't want my Z to be abused (walmart or college parking lots).

So much for only 10k miles a year, I think I'm at 5k in 2.5 months or so.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:35 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Brick as a second car but it turned out to be so comfortable and a great cruiser it has become my daily ride.

Outside of tires, it is not anymore expensive than our Highlander to maintain.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 PM
bapestah

I just got mine as a daily driver and hope to keep it that way until i need rear seats... Till then i enjoy every single moment of it
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

My Z is my weekend fun car. I have two other cars so the Z is something of a garage queen. I never intended for the Z to be a daily driver.

Les
Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 PM
shensuji

What is the premise of this post? Not sure what there is to vent about? Are you upset because younger kids are driving Zs?

Or are you offering an assumption that daily driven Z's are less enjoyable or the fact that Z's are cheaper now and that's why its being daily driven? (lost)

A few years ago, I bought my Z new, for the sole intention of being my daily driver. Sold the Z two years ago to purchase a second car, which is now my garage queen/weekend warrior, and I can honestly say that I enjoy both cars equally.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM
10-E-C-350Z

I bought mine as a stuntin' car. Only on the weekend, never in the rain sleet or snow. I like to think that as obsessed as I am with these cars I want to keep mine as fresh as I can for as long as I can. Besides, theres countless cheap Golfs, Rangers and Chevy's begging me to beat the brakes off of them on a daily basis until I discard them like last nights leftovers. So I use these as my daily workhorses.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shensuji
Are you upset because younger kids are driving Zs?
No, just upset they post here.

Rota, replica, and shift **** sales went through the roof!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
No, just upset they post here.

Rota, replica, and shift **** sales went through the roof!
don't forget stickers, and vinyl sales

Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 PM
wyoz

Originally Posted by shensuji
What is the premise of this post? Not sure what there is to vent about? Are you upset because younger kids are driving Zs?

Or are you offering an assumption that daily driven Z's are less enjoyable or the fact that Z's are cheaper now and that's why its being daily driven? (lost)

Although a Z can be picked-up reasonably cheap these days, I still see the Z as THAT special. Where I live Z's are not too commonplace because they just cannot be used as a daily driver year round without tearing it up. Therefore, I view the Z as more of a weekend toy and somewhat of a luxury to own. I saved and waited for several years to be able to have my Z and treat it just like an exotic. It's cool others enjoy the car daily, or year round for that matter. My venting really was not targeted to any one specific issue, although it is easy to get annoyed with the apparent immature, illiterate and ill-equipped who post on this site (and other sites too). For whatever reason, the realization I am in the same group of ownership with that crowd can be a bit demoralizing - guess that's my issue! Although that sounds a little elitiest, I suspect some of you can relate.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wyoz
Although a Z can be picked-up reasonably cheap these days, I still see the Z as THAT special. Where I live Z's are not too commonplace because they just cannot be used as a daily driver year round without tearing it up. Therefore, I view the Z as more of a weekend toy and somewhat of a luxury to own. I saved and waited for several years to be able to have my Z and treat it just like an exotic. It's cool others enjoy the car daily, or year round for that matter. My venting really was not targeted to any one specific issue, although it is easy to get annoyed with the apparent immature, illiterate and ill-equipped who post on this site (and other sites too). For whatever reason, the realization I am in the same group of ownership with that crowd can be a bit demoralizing - guess that's my issue! Although that sounds a little elitiest, I suspect some of you can relate.
You should have seen this site years ago about 2003.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM
10-E-C-350Z

Whoops, double posted by accident. my bad.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM
10-E-C-350Z

You should have seen this site years ago about 2003.

I have an idea. These "teens" flooding the website with irresponsibility and immaturity were too irresponsible to wear rubbers while dating their Mcdonald's co-workers. This lead to babies, which lead to them sell their Z's which obviously didnt make practical daily drivers anymore, and join popular station wagon forums, which in turn ultimately lead to the site getting better over the years...That has to be it.

Last edited by 10-E-C-350Z; 01-10-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:58 PM
WhiteNoiz

To be honest, if I could afford a beater truck, I would have one, mostly to haul large things. As far as the Z being a DD, I love it as my DD. Would like to have summer and winter tires though, and will eventually. Saving things is a catch 22. There is no promise of tomorrow. Balance I guess, just like everything else. The Z is a hot car for 30k, but it is what it is, a Nissan. I will rebuild it if needed. TT build that is
Old 01-10-2009, 05:00 PM
SOZ

Don't know why some people think the Z is a prima donna, wimpy, drive only on warm, sunny weekends car. It's a hunk of metal with 4 wheels and a motor same as any other car. I'll drive mine anytime I need to go somewhere barring those times when it would be stupid to take any car on the road. A little rain or snow is not going to hurt it and it will handle snow covered roads as well as any other rear wheel drive. Also, other than my motorcycle it's my only transportation and it serves me quite well.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:17 PM
10-E-C-350Z

Don't know why some people think the Z is a prima donna, wimpy, drive only on warm, sunny weekends car. It's a hunk of metal with 4 wheels and a motor same as any other car. I'll drive mine anytime I need to go somewhere barring those times when it would be stupid to take any car on the road. A little rain or snow is not going to hurt it and it will handle snow covered roads as well as any other rear wheel drive. Also, other than my motorcycle it's my only transportation and it serves me quite well.

Very understandable point, but I once owned an 83 280zx that I loved to death, but a rotting frame rail made me put her down. Im guessing it was a lack of maintenance or not catching it in time...I guess since I know that I will like the new Z exponentially more then the old Z, especially after having volunteered to go to Iraq to be able to afford it, I want to keep mine in as good of shape as possible. And Im sure the Z will do just as good if not better in on snowy roads as any other RWD if it has a decent set of tires lke you said, but IMHO I feel its just as good to spend that money that would have went to snow tires on a cheap beater instead, Just my .02...At least there's no nutcases that keep their cars in airtight temperature and humidity controlled room...........................................right?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading wyoz's second post, I get his point. I don't mind if younger guys can now buy them used on the cheap. I do wish, though, there was a requirement of one (1) English class and one (1) typing class before you could buy one!

Quick Reply: Z as only car or second car