Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
wyoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sucks, but at least you caught it when you did. I would suspect the drain plug was in when you left, but not tightened for whatever reason and came out shortly thereafter. Since you did not recognize any warning lights or change in oil pressure, and did not try to start it once you realized what happended, I would suspect you are going to be okay. Still get it checked out and watch things closely for awhile after.

Be cool with the dealership, especially if that is how they are being with you. There really is nothing positive to be said for trying to rip the dealership off just because it seems you might have the upper hand at the moment. If you were to push for something unrealistic, the dealership could push back and claim since you drove the car off the lot you accepted the work as complete, and then take it a step further and say you purposefully removed the drain plug after leaving the dealership in an effort to fabricate the whole scenario just to get a new engine (unless of course the drain plug was found on the dealership floor - which is unlikely or you would have been leaking oil before even leaving).

Don't be a slimy bastard and try something sleezy has has been suggested. It would likely result in a no-win situation. Just play it cool and straight.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
03aeroZ

Originally Posted by wyoz
Don't be a slimy bastard and try something sleezy has has been suggested. It would likely result in a no-win situation. Just play it cool and straight.
Hope that wasn't a reference to my "get free parts" joke....I thought it was obvious it was a joke, which is why I followed it up with, "get an independent mech look at it.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 PM
wyoz

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
Hope that wasn't a reference to my "get free parts" joke....I thought it was obvious it was a joke, which is why I followed it up with, "get an independent mech look at it.

Not directed to you - I got your joke. KentuckyZ on the other hand seemed way too serious in his suggestions. I was just trying to help keep the OP focused in the right direction and to do the right thing in a frustrating time.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM
vlad_350z
Banned

retards! This happen to me on my honda accord. I left the shop and about 2 minutes later I noticed a bad smell of burnt oil. I pulled over and checked out what as going on to notice the oil cap was missing. Luckly i pulled over on time their was just a small spill and the car was still driving fine. Later that day i contacted the shop they gave me a refund and a free oil change.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
-Vince-
Banned

The dealer probably just put a shamwow in your oil tank.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
rlw222

Originally Posted by 1cleanz
i would be really pissed. i would be asking for free oil changes for life after that. also a detail but i really wouldent want a dealership to detail my car. make them pay for a god detailer some where else lol.
Why would you want that shop to touch your car after that let alone change the oil again .?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 AM
KenTuckyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever wyoz. If it was your car. You'd be all cool about it?
There's no reason to call any one slimy. It really doesn't even matter if the engine is damaged or not. The entire reason for going to the dealership to have your service done is because you trust them.

They screwed up somehow. Even if the filter was loose. Or the cap wasn't on. Which is very different from having a trail of oil and a puddle. If they didn't torque the drain pan bolt. That's insane. Crazier things have happened.

However I do think it wise to play it cool. But that just lets them mistake your kindness for weakness. And they will if they thought they could.

Do unto others before they do unto you and they definitely have already done unto the OP. It doesn't matter who changed the oil and did that to my car. I'd be belling new engine. Period.

I'd rather be thought of as a slimy bastard that got a new engine than a dumb a$$ looking for a remanned engine. Because I was too nice to do anything other than bend over because I didn't want to hurt the dealerships bottom line.

That's why they exist. That's why alot of us even use them, we expect them to back up there work and not screw us over when they drop the ball. This is very different than having a part not show up after waiting for it for 3 days.

The OP could have shaved 5 years off the life span of his engine. It may never be 100%again. Maybe tomorrow he starts it and finds he has rod knock. Maybe a month from now he does something and scores it again and has rod knock.

Maybe just maybe he isn't daddy warbucks and can't afford to sh*t a new engine.

Aside from all of the name calling. These are all good reasons to spend the 30 minutes it takes and save yourself $15.00 by changing your own oil. That's the only way you can be sure you don't end up in this situation.

Don't be a sheep in a world of wolves or you'll end up a$$ed out. Cause they'll let you walk away all the while knowing what they did. Maybe you'll get lucky and when they call back they'll tell you the tech did mess up come on out and we'll work something out or make this right somehow. 1 dealership out of no telling how many actually care.

You people are all about wah wah wah. My car has high miles at 50k miles on it.
I can't drive it in the snow because it's not, whatever. So really, STFU already. Half of you would be dropping loads and sh*tting bricks.

This dude is a victim. None of you here would be satisfied with being blown off by the local dealership if you were in his shoes.

Go get your engine dude and if you have to play hard ball to get it then play it. Don't worry about the 1 or 2 pussies telling you to kiss there a$$. Because they don't really care, because you see sir. It's simply NOT their car. These people aren't going to be there to donate money when it blows up and lets be real here. It could. It's not likely....., but some rodknock is. We all know what that means.

If this isn't enough. Ask yourself if you'd go for a spirited drive if you knew the drain plug wasn't in? I hardley doubt it. So why let a tech that isn't doing his job right keep on screwing up in this magnitude???

Believe me. The 2nd the owner of that dealership hears you're thinking of going public. They'll be your best friend and you'll be VIP. Doesn't matter if you have an attorney or not because a leak of this proportion would hurt them and there isn't an open for business lot that can handle negative publicity right now.

Sorry it's so long but slimy bastard straight set me off. It was very uncalled for just because he needs cops which was discussed in another post. That had nothing to do with this one at all.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 AM
350z-Jim

The reality is, if most of the oil was under the car when he stopped that means it was in the engine during driving. The plug obviously didn't fall out at the dealer, but part way there, so most of the drive would have been with all the oil in the engine. The low pressure light would have come on when even half the oil is missing from the pan.

Seems to me like it popped out just a bit away from where you stopped, and most of it leaked out onto the ground where you were parked. If you had a HUGE pool under the car then that means it was in the motor when you were driving and the motor will be fine. It must have been pretty large for somebody to notice it and come say something.

If that's the case I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

the fact that oil was still spilling all over the parking spot leads me to believe that you had more then enough to keep it lubricated, and since you had it towed I wouldn't worry about it. that's just me, personally, feel free to get them to check it out more thoroughly though.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:23 AM
jray8

Originally Posted by -Vince-
The dealer probably just put a shamwow in your oil tank.
where is the "oil tank"
Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 AM
jray8

Originally Posted by Entaille
the fact that oil was still spilling all over the parking spot leads me to believe that you had more then enough to keep it lubricated, and since you had it towed I wouldn't worry about it. that's just me, personally, feel free to get them to check it out more thoroughly though.

not necessarily, have you ever had a leak in your Z? with the cover on the bottom of the undercarriage, it can take a while for the leak to appear due to the cover only having a few holes allowing fluids to drain. i recently had my valve covers and gaskets changed and the fluid was built up on the cover just sliding back and forth without leaking until i removed it and pressure washed it.

either way, good luck OP

Last edited by jray8; 01-13-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
03aeroZ

[QUOTE=350z-Jim;6800966The low pressure light would have come on when even half the oil is missing from the pan.[/QUOTE]

I have heard from numerous people that once your low pressure light comes on, if it is due to a leak, you have a problem. So, hopefully this is true, because since yours didn't come on, this could mean your are safe.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Entaille

I haven't had a leak yet but I check my oil everytime I stop for gas. the crush flange looked pretty f'ed up at my last oil change so I am hesitant it will leak lol.

it could be a scenario where you'd rather be safe then sorry, but as previously mentioned, if the low oil pressure light never came on you are probably safe.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
mikez97

well when does the low oil pressure light come on?
on my 240sx with an sr20det it comes on at 7 psi which is past then point of major damage.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
The reality is, if most of the oil was under the car when he stopped that means it was in the engine during driving. The plug obviously didn't fall out at the dealer, but part way there, so most of the drive would have been with all the oil in the engine. The low pressure light would have come on when even half the oil is missing from the pan.

Seems to me like it popped out just a bit away from where you stopped, and most of it leaked out onto the ground where you were parked. If you had a HUGE pool under the car then that means it was in the motor when you were driving and the motor will be fine. It must have been pretty large for somebody to notice it and come say something.

Best post so far. Alot of the other posts I've seen, well....
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 AM
track04

this all depends on how big the pool of oil under the car
even 1 qt of oil would leave a huge pool under the car.
meaning he could have arrived with only that much left
Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 PM
wyoz

Originally Posted by KenTuckyZ
Whatever wyoz. Don't be a sheep in a world of wolves
What a rant. I just call it like I see it and you can do the same.

You can be the big bad wolf, I'll be the shepherd with a big gun = no more pain in the *** wolves!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Entaille

kentuckyz cracks me up. he is such a bad ***.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
KenTuckyZ

You better get bigger bullets b*tch.
I'll be on you from now on like rust.

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on