Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
GenPac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
Best post so far. Alot of the other posts I've seen, well....
Davidv's post was fairly straightforward also... I agree, he was probably just missing his drain plug crush washer. Seen this happen many times before... The drain plug is not threaded all the way to the head of the bolt, they have a thin shouldered portion for the crush washer. Without this washer, you can properly torque the plug but still leak oil.
Another possibility is having a double filter o-ring situation. This happens when the oil guy neglects to remove the old O-ring from the old filter and it gets stuck on the filter flange. One of the o-rings gets pinched and the new filter doesnt sit flush so it leaks.

Originally Posted by davidv
Impossible scenario. You did not drive 10 miles with NO OIL.

Suspect that the filter was loose or o-ring missing. Beside no oil does not mean no oil. Its difficult to get 100 percent of the oil out of the motor.

Assume that the oil pressure was OK with no warning lights?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You better get bigger bullets b*tch.
I'll be on you from now on like rust.
-Kentuckyz

rut roh, now I've gone and done it. mods - can you change my screename, post count, location etc as part of your witness protection program?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Send off a sample of the next oil change to Blackstone. Independent compression and leakdown tests are also fair. Dyno run also fair. Extended warranty on the motor is also fair. You could ask for another motor, but it might come back weaker than the one you've got or they might screw up something else during install...
Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM
KenTuckyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Entaille
-Kentuckyz

rut roh, now I've gone and done it. mods - can you change my screename, post count, location etc as part of your witness protection program?
LOL. Not you. wyoz
Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
jebz240

Why not insist on an extended powertrain warranty? Say 100k or so could be worthwhile if it has issues in the next few years. They may go for that to keep face but i would contact Nissan north america to report the problem they are pretty strict on the shops.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
twofallsteve

Default Oil spill

Just to judge how much was left when you parked consider this...1 gallon of gasoline covers approx 15 sq ft. Oil is thicker so 1 gallon won't spread as far. Just be glad you did not take off down the interstate.

As far as testing the oil goes, Schaefer and Chevron do testing for free when you use their oil. I have sent in my Schaefer samples religiously for years. They will test you first sample too even if it is not their oil. Chevron will do the same.

The dealer may also do the same but have the report mailed to you.

If the reports come back negative I would talk to the dealer about a new motor.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
mclovin.too

If they deny it, get a lawyer.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 PM
tware

there is too much missing information to say for sure what you should demand. There's a huge difference between no crush washer and missing drain plug. I really hope you were able to take pics before it got to the dealership, but I'm assuming since you didnt post that info that you didnt look. That's some crucial info.

If you lost *some* oil (no reading on the dipstick 2 qts down I think?), then perhaps a follow up blackstone oil test ($20+ on them) and extending the warranty is in order. If it lost most of its oil while you were driving, regardless if its a loose plug or filter, then I'd be demanding a new motor and warranty.

Then again, I had this happen on my pathfinder (oil all over the ground). I stopped and oil gushed out. I freaked out. Luckily for me, the "mechanic", for lack of a better term, had left the old oil filter up in the engine cover.. it was rolling around spilling oil. nice.

I know a GM of a dealership. This happens up to once a month at many dealerships. Most customers never know their car was run without oil. In 6 years, he only replaced one engine. :/ Luckily it was caught pretty quickly *most* of the time. He said the job of oil changes was always left to the least experienced tech they had. It was inevitable.

Last edited by tware; 01-13-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by -Vince-
The dealer probably just put a shamwow in your oil tank.
i love how the shamwow joke is like the official joke of my350z

+20 on plug falling out, not neglected to return to the car. but yeah milk this **** for what its worth, and dont feel bad doing it; the stealership will make up what money they lose from the situation via a mom dropping her quest off for service
Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry. You didn't do any major damage or anything. The oil didnt flood out while you were driving. Usually when your at a stop engine off the leaks begins to be bad like it was when your hair was being cut. So you have nothing to worry about.

On the other hand just act like you just lost your child while at the dealer so they DO make up for this mishap in a very good way.

Reminds me of an older women one time who came in for gas SMOKING like crazy in her civic. Pep Boys had put 12 qts of oil in her engine. Lucky for her, the doctor was in!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPac
Davidv's post was fairly straightforward also...
What I was refering to, was not the conspriracy theory as to what actually happened, but more of the fact that the majority of oil leaked out when the car was sitting still. Rendering the engine ok. Amongst all the other banter about "asking for free parts, a new engine, and free oil changes", yes, it was the most cut to the chase/your engine is fine post...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
tware

well, it's only 6K if they try to pin an engine replacement on you, right? So, it's sort of a big deal to get to the bottom of what really happened..

I'm not advocating asking for more than whats been affected... its just that if you dont make sure you are completely covered for *any* damage that may have occurred, the results could be financially catastrophic for the owner.

Plus, he actually drove off the lot like this.. It would be much different if they had pulled the car up from service and oil was pouring out.

On the flipside, I wouldnt want these idiots replacing an engine in my car, so I guess there is a solid case for ruling out damage instead of just demanding a new engine right away. One of those "be careful what you wish for" things. A long warranty extension would still be a minimum.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by tware
its just that if you dont make sure you are completely covered for *any* damage that may have occurred, the results could be financially catastrophic for the owner.
I agree. The OP should at least have the dealership perform a complete diagnostic of the engine, just to make sure everything is running properly on the safe side. I wonder if he could take it to another dealership, explain what happened, and have them perform the diagnositic instead? That's what I would do if I could.

On a side note, this enforces the reason I change my own oil...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
tware

A nissan dealer can run your car off a cliff and NNA will not have any involvement (or really even care to arbitrate for that matter). So, another dealer wouldn't do any of this for free... they probably wouldnt want to even be involved.

which raises another good point, whatever they offer, make sure its extended coverage from NNA and not just that dealer. Also, get EVERYTHING in writing from everyone you deal with. The service manager can tell you anything and the next time you visit, they are long gone and the general manager/owner doesnt know who you are (or will pretend not to know who you are).
Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM
RAGE

^^^^^+1
Old 01-14-2009, 04:05 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this posting but what happened to the OP.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:40 PM
03aeroZ

+1 on the blackstone comment. Get it done and have Resolute a look at your results. He is very knowledgeable about our engines and oil analysis....as is blackstone.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 PM
jnewell789

If you wanted to be a d**k and get a free engine, pull the drain plug out yourself, drain oil into a bucket, run the engine untill it makes noise, then pour the old oil back in and go to the dealer and say that the car is making noises now. Just a possibility. But Deff. talk to the gm about a new motor/extended warranty. Best of luck.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
KenTuckyZ

Originally Posted by jnewell789
If you wanted to be a d**k and get a free engine, pull the drain plug out yourself, drain oil into a bucket, run the engine untill it makes noise, then pour the old oil back in and go to the dealer and say that the car is making noises now. Just a possibility. But Deff. talk to the gm about a new motor/extended warranty. Best of luck.
Oh NO. Don't make those type of comments or you'll have the likes of wyoz up your poopshoot and moving in, all the while telling you what a slimy bastard you really are. Don't drop the soap when that dude is around.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 AM
WTX350Z

Originally Posted by vo7848

On a side note, this enforces the reason I change my own oil...

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on