Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Strider619

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on

I went to my usual dealership (Mossy Kearny Mesa) for an oil change. 40 minutes later, I drive off with it to get a haircut. While inside the barbershop, some guy came in and asked who the black Z belonged to. He said he saw some smoke coming out of the hood and oil is all over the place, lo and behold there was a pool of oil (3 quarts atleast). I check the plaza that I drove through, I left a pretty solid trail of oil. I took pictures with my disposable (will be available as soon as I get them developed and scanned)

The trip was about 10 miles between the dealership and the barbershop, I was on 'spirited' driving and revving high as I always do after an oil change. It was getting dark but from what I can see, no oil was visible on the engine bay. I already talked to the dealership and dropped off the car overnight (tow).

Anyway, my question is what are the possible damages that might result from this? I obviously want this incident documented, maybe even get a free detail. Your suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
johns350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the dipstick? I assume the oil was GONE.

A few miles of spirited driving could cause some serious damage with low/no oil. DO NOT let them simply fill it up w/oil and say everything is ok.

Overall - not good - unsure of tests to prove damage - I'm assuming something like a compression test could show possible issues.

This is my fear every time I get my oil changed at the dealer...

PS - what year, miles, etc..
Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you are OK. If it had reached a hugely critical state, the engine would have seized. I'd definitely keep track of your oil level after you get the car back. Daily would be best. Also, keep your eyes and ears open for other oddities.

I"m going to bet that the plug was put in, then fell out. If they hadn't put it in at all, it should have poured oil all over their garage.

You also might want to run the car for a 1000 miles or so, then have it changed again.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 PM
03aeroZ

free detail?!?!?! free motor!! I would really REALLY get this checked out. Not sure if you could have an independent mechanic check it out and bill them, but would be worth a shot if it didn't cost too much. Hell, I would make them pay for that too!! Sorry about your luck
Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
free detail?!?!?! free motor!! I would really REALLY get this checked out.
agreed!

OP - you are somewhere between OK and 'motor gone'

Yes - if low/gone - it would have ultimately seized. But I believe damage can be done prior to that.

Get it checked out - maybe different dealer or private shop.

Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM
KYEXTAZ

this happened to be about a year ago! i got home right after the oil change and it all came out in my garage floor! lucky for me the dealership took pretty good care of me and came to my house, towed the car back to the dealer, fixed everything, and sent a guy to clean my garage floor! my car has driven normal ever since in case you are worried
Old 01-12-2009, 07:39 PM
1cleanz

i would be really pissed. i would be asking for free oil changes for life after that. also a detail but i really wouldent want a dealership to detail my car. make them pay for a god detailer some where else lol.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
03aeroZ

^damn...was it a nissan dealership???? haha...my local one BLOWS
Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
03aeroZ

oh...and fyi...i walked through the detail shop of my local dealership after they detailed my car. Watched a guy pick up a rag off the ground and finish washing the hood of the car!! You sure you want a free detail???
Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM
KYEXTAZ

yeah it was nissan..they have given me three free oil changes so far
Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1cleanz
i would be really pissed. i would be asking for free oil changes for life after that.
Really? I wouldn't let them wipe my windshields after this- let alone change my oil
Old 01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
KenTuckyZ

YAHTZEE.

You win a free engine get an attorney and threaten them with a law suit and the placing of an add in every local paper.

This kind of crap is a scandle and you can come out ahead big time provided you stop sitting on your brain.

Ofcourse I mean the nicest way possible : )
Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 PM
03aeroZ

OR even if the engine is ok...get some free nismo parts...and give them to us in appreciation for all of the unbiased and legal help

No, seriously, have them check the engine and agree to an independent test or go with the above guys statement.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM
KenTuckyZ

Ya man that's the type of thing you go to the dealership to completely avoid.

Free engine. Free installation. You never spend a dime there ever ever again.
Not even to check your tire pressure or vaccum you ride out.

That's some wal-mart lube dept. crapolla right there.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
KenTuckyZ

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
OR even if the engine is ok...get some free nismo parts...and give them to us in appreciation for all of the unbiased and legal help

No, seriously, have them check the engine and agree to an independent test or go with the above guys statement.

Forget that. Forget the parts. Nothing to have checked out.

NEW ENGINE TIME. Don't be a dolt. Shheeeeesh trade the life expectatcy of your engines for nismo parts so you can install them and then send a rod through the block???? Not smart. LOL..., They'd love to give you some parts to shut you up and make this go away.

Think big time. How many cars do they service daily? How many weeks of servicings do they have pre scheduled.

Think about getting them and making them pay. I'm not normally the guy that says these things. But dealerships milk each and every one of us any chance they get.

Now. It's YOUR turn. Once in a lifetime chance right here. Make it count.

Last edited by KenTuckyZ; 01-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Impossible scenario. You did not drive 10 miles with NO OIL.

Suspect that the filter was loose or o-ring missing. Beside no oil does not mean no oil. Its difficult to get 100 percent of the oil out of the motor.

Assume that the oil pressure was OK with no warning lights?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
KenTuckyZ

Originally Posted by davidv
Impossible scenario. You did not drive 10 miles with NO OIL.

Suspect that the filter was loose or o-ring missing. Beside no oil does not mean no oil. Its difficult to get 100 percent of the oil out of the motor.

Assume that the oil pressure was OK with no warning lights?
Good points also.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
03aeroZ

Originally Posted by KenTuckyZ
Forget that. Forget the parts. Nothing to have checked out.
it was a joke....trying to score some free parts for me! I think he needs it checked out AND not by that shop. Have you called Nissan North America yet? That would be my first option. They can get you pretty far
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
welderz

Three people have come into the garage that i work at that had this happen to them at the local walmart now the walmart covers the drain plug with some blue sealer that shows if its been worked on and hasn't been opened again they lost alot of money i think you did some damage to your engine the dealership might try to make it sound not as bad as it really is id take it somewhere else to get checked out
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Strider619

Originally Posted by johns350
Did you check the dipstick? I assume the oil was GONE.

A few miles of spirited driving could cause some serious damage with low/no oil. DO NOT let them simply fill it up w/oil and say everything is ok.

Overall - not good - unsure of tests to prove damage - I'm assuming something like a compression test could show possible issues.

This is my fear every time I get my oil changed at the dealer...

PS - what year, miles, etc..
yeah, I smelled something funky when I got out of the car but I thought it's because of the new oil and me pushing it. I got this HR z brand new, 18900 miles now. When I was waiting for my tow, I checked my stick and it had no oil. The thought of getting a new engine crossed my mind when I was sitting at that parking lot which I wouldnt mind at all

I'm waiting for their call tomorrow morning to see what happened, but independent checks sounds good so far. Any other suggestions are welcome and thanks.

edit: I didn't notice any warning lights when I was driving nor did I check the pressure. Definitely didn't try to turn the engine on after I found out.

Last edited by Strider619; 01-12-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on