2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealer forgot to put my oil plug back on

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Indyzed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WTX350Z

+2

I get physically ill when I have to take my car in. I try to do everything myself if possible. The level of incompetence amongst average people is getting alarming.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
WhiteNoiz

This thread was much more entertaining than I expected.

Thanks to all that suffered.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Pharaohabq

Default new engine?

Interrestingly enough, the VQ35HR I'm going to put into my 280z was removed for exactly the case you're talking about. Apparently some guy took his car to nissan, had the oil changed, was driving home on the freeway and his oil light came on. he immediately pulled over. looked under and saw oil dripping, so he called and the dealed towed it back. Found out they didn't put a new crush sleeve on, so they did, refilled it, no oil light, but the guy threw a fit and got them to replace his engine anyway.

I bought the old one from the dealer, $500 bucks, Ebay. good compression, dunno how it runs tho since, no ECU. oil clean, no shavings or anything in the oilpan. I figure if there is a problem, it's minor and even rebuilding it, bearings and rings, I'm still way cheaper than a new motor, or most used ones.

Phar
Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 PM
KenTuckyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't just rebuild rodknock. Hope it works out though. That would be a bad a$$ combo. Good Luck trying to find an ECU for less than a grand. Maybe you could find something on MSD's site that will bypass it all together. Just a thought.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
350z Guy

wow? and the manual always recommend taking the car to the dealer for oil changes and the like...

did you check your oil pressure while driving? i always check my oil pressure to see if its bouncing between 60 and 80 psi
Old 01-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Road Warrior

i had this happen to me with an acura rsx type s...needless to say i ended up with a new shortblock. my trip from there to home was about 20 minutes. my car started burning excess oil after the screw up and that lead to a new motor after 3 months of tracking the oil consumption.

good luck
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 AM
mclovin.too

Lesson learned... change your own oil & filter.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Strider619

so apparently they 'engine checked, no damage detected' and used a stetoscope, I'm still not buying it. I already made a case file with Nissan North America so that everything is documented for. I'll try to have an oil reading and a compression check by another shop as soon as I get a day off. In the mean time, I did manage to get an engine and car detail on them. No pics so far, my disposable is still sitting in the trunk and been slacking on it. Thanks for the suggestions peeps.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 AM
350z-Jim

Dude dont sweat it. I'm sure the motor is fine. If you made a case with Nissan NA then leave it at that.

Going to another shop for a compression check and oil reading will be useless unless you have documented numbers from test prior to this even which are provable in court. The range for the readings is generally something like 185-200psi with service limit bring 150. So if you are over 150 then it's fine. Even if you had some minor damage pistons could still all be over 150. An oil analysis would only reveal whats happening now, and whos to say it wasn't like that before.

So what I am saying is, if the car drives the same, has the same power and isn't making any noise then your voice is heard with Nissan and if the car seems fine let it go. I would go elsewhere for an Oil Change but that would be it.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Pharaohabq

Originally Posted by KenTuckyZ
You can't just rebuild rodknock. Hope it works out though. That would be a bad a$$ combo. Good Luck trying to find an ECU for less than a grand. Maybe you could find something on MSD's site that will bypass it all together. Just a thought.
Yeah, hopefully there's no rodknock or anything. We'll seee when I get it installed. I'm looking for an HR ECU, I can get one off car-parts for ~500 but I'l like to pay less than that. As for damage, if it's got problems, there's nothing that can't be fixed with a few new parts They said it was running fine and passed emissions before they had to pull it. Who knows. So far the tranny has been harder to find... cheaply that it. new is $2100 from nissan. ~$1000 off car-parts.

Phar

sorry to thread jack, but this one was pretty quiet anyway...
Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM
KenTuckyZ

Originally Posted by Pharaohabq
Yeah, hopefully there's no rodknock or anything. We'll seee when I get it installed. I'm looking for an HR ECU, I can get one off car-parts for ~500 but I'l like to pay less than that. As for damage, if it's got problems, there's nothing that can't be fixed with a few new parts They said it was running fine and passed emissions before they had to pull it. Who knows. So far the tranny has been harder to find... cheaply that it. new is $2100 from nissan. ~$1000 off car-parts.

Phar

sorry to thread jack, but this one was pretty quiet anyway...
Dude. You should do a build thread for this. I'm not sure you can just use an 08 ecu on a 280. If I had to bet on it. I'd bet against it. Those are 2 very different engines. That makes them seperate generations. The standard is that you can't just swap those. But again. I could be wrong.
I'd check before I purchased. You don't want to have to pay for it then find out the hard way and have to sell it. Then again. If you build the 280 with all 08 electronics. I would say it's doable.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Pharaohabq

Originally Posted by KenTuckyZ
Dude. You should do a build thread for this. I'm not sure you can just use an 08 ecu on a 280. If I had to bet on it. I'd bet against it. Those are 2 very different engines. That makes them seperate generations. The standard is that you can't just swap those. But again. I could be wrong.
I'd check before I purchased. You don't want to have to pay for it then find out the hard way and have to sell it. Then again. If you build the 280 with all 08 electronics. I would say it's doable.
uh, I'm putting in an 07 VQ35HR into the 280Z, so yes I'll need the ECU...
Old 01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Sixth_Vang

Man, that friggin' sucks. If you have the time just do the oil yourself. If you don't go to Tires Plus or Firestone, i've seen synthetic blend specials for 19.99.

Me personally, I enjoy Castrol 0w-30 euro formula
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

omg another dealership service horror story...