Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
t0mills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found that the VDC on my 03 works really well.

I've ridden in my friend's mustang gt, and when the tires start to spin, it literally takes ALL throttle away, causing you to jerk forward in your seat.

However, in my car, when the tires start to spin, it's like it pulls timing out instead of instantly closing the throttle. Then, as they start to hook, it gives it back, making for a smooth transition.

You can hear the exhaust note change when it's doing this.

Also, when going around a corner, I've found that it's nearly impossible to lose control with the VDC on. I've gotten the tail to slide out just a little bit, but you can feel it instantly start working the brakes and straighten out.

-Tim
Old 01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like it for the wet weather, but that's about the only time I have it on. I have driven the Dragon multiple times, and with different sets of tires - on the Potenzas I found VDC to be a bit overly intrusive. On my first set of Kumhos I could go ***** to the walls and it almost never kicked in; on my second set it kicked in a lot more often and again, I didn't like it. Now that rainy, foggy day at ZDayZ last year, up in the mountains, it was on the entire day. Never kicked in though 'cause we were lucky to make 30 MPH. Overall, I'm glad I have it and it certainly never made me feel unsafe.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM
realtor

Default Need that safety stuff....

I have to agree with several people here without that safety feature I would of been pryed out of my car in a ditch. Without that safety feature I would of been in the emergency room many times.. Thanks nissan!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PerfZ
I like it for the wet weather, but that's about the only time I have it on. I have driven the Dragon multiple times, and with different sets of tires - on the Potenzas I found VDC to be a bit overly intrusive. On my first set of Kumhos I could go ***** to the walls and it almost never kicked in; on my second set it kicked in a lot more often and again, I didn't like it. Now that rainy, foggy day at ZDayZ last year, up in the mountains, it was on the entire day. Never kicked in though 'cause we were lucky to make 30 MPH. Overall, I'm glad I have it and it certainly never made me feel unsafe.
Wow 30 mph? See, that's why I don't run in a crowd It was myself and one other car - we never really got under 40 mph, till we ran into the big pack towards the top of the hill.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Lento

I should probably explain a little more

I drive the same roads around me almost every day, so when there is no traffic and I can use the whole road (legally) I always hit this one corner with some enthusiasm.

I have taken the same corner hundreds of times with the TCS off and a few when its on and I always find it easier with the TCS off.

Reciently when I autocrossed I forgot to turn the TCS off for a lap and it was a huge handicap, as everytime I needed a little slide into a tight turn the throttle would be cut and inturupt my "driving flow" or whatever you want to call it and it really screwed me up.

I guess I am used to driving with the TCS off so I expect a little slide here and there and my mind/body knows its comming and goes to correct it. But what I guess I am really saying is when you are expecting a little slide or loss of grip..... and nothing happens, your body and the car are on different pages, which create the dangerous situation.

I think i am a fairly decient driver, and like most of you who have driven a Z for a while you know the limitations and when and how much slip you have to play with. I agree if your not fully attentive while driving the TCS is great because I find it sort of throws out the whole finesse aspect of throttle control. But whenever I step in my car I get excited.

Hell this past summer when all my friends were asking me why I drove so much with gas being $4. I just told them it was an entertainment expense
Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 PM
arneltec

^^ I take it from what you just stated that it is working as intended...

Last edited by arneltec; 01-22-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Get_Zwole

I never take mine off really. Unless im tracking or decide to get on it a little. Why would you need to take it off on a normal trip to work? If it really kicks in and bothers you on your daily commute then you need to slow down, thats just the way i see it anyways.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Lento
I drive the same roads around me almost every day, so when there is no traffic and I can use the whole road (legally) I always hit this one corner with some enthusiasm.
Unless it is a one lane, one way road, when can you use the entire roadway legally? Is it a private road not open to the public?
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Dozzi94

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Unless it is a one lane, one way road, when can you use the entire roadway legally? Is it a private road not open to the public?
5-Oh, Knockin at yo Do'.

... sorry.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think mine has ever been left on...
Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Taking it off in Oregon is suicide on most days.

But if it is bothering you while you are legally using all the lanes of traffic and taking corners hard, by all means turn it off. We don't want Mr. Andretti to be late to work.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Get_Zwole

^^^ lmao still dont see a reason to take it on a regular commute. I would get pulled over left and right if i drove like these guys i guess.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM
rtiid22

I drive with tcs on all the time unless I know I would be driving the car hard.. but uhm.. I don't feel as though tcs locks up my wheels.. in fact, I actually have understeer with tcs on around fast corners and that's when it conserns me..
Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
350ZToeRing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
I never take mine off really. Unless im tracking or decide to get on it a little. Why would you need to take it off on a normal trip to work? If it really kicks in and bothers you on your daily commute then you need to slow down, thats just the way i see it anyways.
Thats what I'm screamin.

Are we seriously considering whether or not it is dangerous to leave safety controls on while driving down the street? Ummm...slow the hell down tard. The only time you need to be driving like that is on the track. If thats how you DD your car, then its gotta be ragged out.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM
DiscoLiveOpera

Here in rainy WA I usually always have it on
Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 AM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VDC is just annoying, intrusively cutting power out of turns, especially where surfaces are not equal. I understand certain electronics are necessary, but on the Z, ABS is the only good nanny.

If you take the VDC, and TCS off, and simply learn the Z, you get much faster.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:49 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by mcarther101
VDC is just annoying, intrusively cutting power out of turns, especially where surfaces are not equal. I understand certain electronics are necessary, but on the Z, ABS is the only good nanny.

If you take the VDC, and TCS off, and simply learn the Z, you get much faster.
^ you pretty much hit the nail on the head. This is the way I feel + the understeer comment with TCS on. Especially where I live, MA is filled with potholes, sand, and unevenly paved surfaces. Nothing bothers me more than not having full control over the cars inputs. Heck, I don't even like it when I have to get in a car with an Auto transmission. I always slap it over to the Tiptronic mode if it has it

They are public roads, but all/any traffic is very visable and the roads are 1 lane or 2 lanes with a wide grassy barrier in the middle like a small seperated highway but wide enough for about 2 or 3 three cars to be driving next to eachother. So when I have them to myself I take a racing line through them.

To all those who say I must be flying or I'm retarded....If I wanted to take it easy on the roads I would have bought a camry. I call BS to any Z driver who never gets on their car to a reasonable extent when the roads are empty. So with all do respect STFU

Last edited by Lento; 01-23-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Less yours malfunctions at certain times and it feels as if it is all coincidences the only time you should loose power is when the vehicle senses a slippage occur.

Perhaps you just do not posses the right skill as of yet to use throttle control with your foot. You should just be able to feel when the cars going to slip or not. And adjust accordingly, then there would be no use of the tcs/vdc.

Only time i've EVER experienced the power loss was chirping into 2nd.....thats it!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Get_Zwole

Nobody said they bought a Z and didnt get on it. You sir are way to Fast and Furious for me.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Touche!

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?