Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Get_Zwole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
Touche!
i was talking to the other guy just making sure you knew
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Just have it your way, dudes!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
i was talking to the other guy just making sure you knew

I wasnt sure...but it goes with the situation anyway! ha ha..
Old 01-23-2009, 11:14 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by mcarther101
VDC is just annoying, intrusively cutting power out of turns, especially where surfaces are not equal. I understand certain electronics are necessary, but on the Z, ABS is the only good nanny.

If you take the VDC, and TCS off, and simply learn the Z, you get much faster.
If a driver wants to learn to drive fast, the driver can take his/her car to the track or a deserted road where exiting the road generally only kills the driver. As for VDC or ABS being a good nanny, the facts speak for themselves, VDC has had a significant positive impact on reducing _mortality_, ABS has not. That said, I like ABS in a snow storm.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
kneedragger81

Originally Posted by terrasmak
No TCS here , i have VDC. For daily driving, its great(never used) ,in the rain it gets used once and a while . I've even done a lap or two on the track without having it kick in.
Do you religiously turn the vdc off everytime you get in the car? Damn...
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
gastoneii

That's why I bought a base, I DRIVE THE CAR not the other way around, no VDC or TCS or other BS!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
kneedragger81

Originally Posted by gastoneii
That's why I bought a base, I DRIVE THE CAR not the other way around, no VDC or TCS or other BS!
I'm sure that's the reason why you bought it...
Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

now this is turning into the NISMO vs std Z thread - there are enough "who's is bigger" threads

If one finds the TCS to be some sort of bandaid, or somehow is limiting their ability to make that run up/down Mt. Akagi in record time, then simply turn it off If you address the root cause (lack of traction), and not merely the symtoms, you'll find that you can have your cake and eat it too
Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Townshed55

Originally Posted by Jgrizzle
I only find it to be a pain in the *** when i try accelerate into fast moving traffic and if there is a little bit of sand. It sucks the throttle away and I get nervous it wont come back in time.
Yep, exactly. I dont think the TCS is too bad and I leave it on in poor weather conditions. But accelerating from a stop on sand sucks and feels like your stalling, and in dry conditions I turn it off. I feel like it takes away from a 'true' driving experience if conditions arent too bad, but definitely is helpful in the rain and snow.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OP are you sure you have the proper tire sizes?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Lento

Originally Posted by Nexx
OP are you sure you have the proper tire sizes?
Yea, stock tires that come with the Nismo. Haven't changed them yet. Got about 13K on them now. Probably up for a change soon.

One thing that I absolutly love about the Z is that when the TCS is off..... its off.

I have driven a few other cars and even when they say its off, its never really off.

I'm not saying drivers aids don't have their place. I think the majority of us would have a lot of trouble if our cars didn't have abs. I think it would be intersting to try to drive something like a TVR or Nobel.

Personally I think the only types of cars that really need TCS however, are cars with rediculous HP and Torque like the AMG Black series and such. I think the throttle mapping is excellent in the Z and while TCS is always a nice feature to have in a car I really dont think it is necessary.

Personally I can not drive in the snow with TCS on all the time, because it basiclly stalls when it starts slipping even a little on a slippery incline and does not let you get momentum. And that was the one time I was stupid enough to bring my car out with an inch of snow on the roads.... Never again
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree...i mean in the winter i drive a grand am and i turn trac. control off usually cause it cuts power constantly when there is snow on the roads...just be a good driver, also i hate!!! ABS...so stupid. . brrrr brrrr bbrrrrrrr....just slide slide slide...id rather pump the brakes and stop
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Wow 30 mph? See, that's why I don't run in a crowd It was myself and one other car - we never really got under 40 mph, till we ran into the big pack towards the top of the hill.
Yeah not only were we in our own crowd but we kept coming up on motorcycles, which made us even slower. Was a pretty crappy cruise, but you can't control the weather. that's why I go down on Monday and spend the week; seems like the first few days are usually great for driving, later in the week not so much.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
SargentZ

Its definitely saved me a few times. I would only turn it off if you're going to totally focus on driving every second of the time. I turned it off once, forgot it was off, was going in a straight line after a spirited launch and got almost 90 degrees sideways when shifting to third, talk about heart attack.

I keep it on most the time but it does get annoting when driving up those steep turning roads, bastard is always cutting out on me nearly getting me t-boned by other mergers.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gastoneii
No, you bought the base because it was what you could afford since one can shut off the VDC and the LSD is a performance upgrade even though it is viscous.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Demonbfg

Originally Posted by Dozzi94
If you have to get saved many, many times by TCS, I could only imagine how YOU drive YOUR car.

TCS is for people who need to be saved many, many times. On dry roads, it's totally not necessary unless you suck.

In wet conditions, as was stated, it's a different story, because this is a car with some power to the wheels. But if you can't keep the back end from getting squirrely on a dry day, and you rely on TCS or VDC to do so, you need some driving lessons.
+1
Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by surfcity40
No, you bought the base because it was what you could afford since one can shut off the VDC and the LSD is a performance upgrade even though it is viscous.
I was gonna say the same thing
Old 01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
350ZToeRing

C'mon guys, lets not knock on what people may or may not be able to afford. Lets not forget that things are never what they seem. I'd be willing to bet that there are many Grand Touring or track owners here who are actually in debt up to their eyeballs. Stick to the topic.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Get_Zwole

nobody is knocking him for what he can afford. Why would you buy a car without a limited slip differential just because it doesnt have TCS lol. I just thought his comment was funny.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
350ZToeRing

...well, i'll agree its not a good excuse to buy the base model...

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?