Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Lento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?

Just wondering if anyone else felt or experienced the same.

I always thought the TCS was a huge safety feature, but from my experiences I now trust my right foot over a computer.

I usually drive with the TCS off, but I find if it is on and I am going around a corner at a good clip the TCS doesn't let the tires have any leeway to slip.

I find that it cuts the gas to the rear wheels and makes it dangerous becuase it cuts all inputs and does not allow the driver any throttle control. Especially with the Potenzas on the car there is going to be a little slide when going around a corner enthusiasticly.

Driving with the TCS off makes the car seem to flow through turns. With it on, you start to flow, then the car feels like it locks up and the worst feeling in the world is when you have no control because your throttle is cut.

Happened to me the other day and scared the crap out of me because when the throttle is cut mid corner the car locks up and starts to go sideways.

I don't know how much it will add to the price of the Z, but the best TCS I have seen is on the new M3 where it allows a good amount of slip up to the point just before the tires would break all traction and be out of control.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:12 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just the opposite for me. I don't find it offensive or intrusive at all. I drive with TCS on all the time, and I've got a fair amount of power and a wide power band that I play with. Even when we ran tail of the dragon, where the roads are a mix of fast and slow, tons of switchbanks, mid corner bumps, etc, I left it on the entire time - it never once kicked in, even in the wet (was raining the first day we were there, and between the humidity.fog, the roads got much wetter the higher in elevation we went). I'm sure it's different with a forced induction Z - I have not spent any significant time behind the wheel of one to know how that behaves, but in my own car, I'm glad I have it, and I never notice it.

The trick is getting traction to a maximum - between my tires, alignment, and LSD, traction is not an issue for me, the car just hooks up as it should. If you're finding it kicking in when you don't want it to, then either slow down, or start examining how to improve traction, because clearly the car is seeing you are lacking it
Old 01-22-2009, 05:29 AM
Brrcats

I can see both sides of the coin here. The Z, i feel, is pretty predictable when it comes to throwing the tail end out, etc. But I have been saved by the VDC before when I have been caught off gaurd by a slippery situation
Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No because I have this training DVD.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We're getting ready to test the Black Box by Whiteline, it allows you to adjust front to rear bias of the VDC system and gives you the ability to create understeer or oversteer. I'm interested in seeing how well it works.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Greg06

Originally Posted by Lento
Just wondering if anyone else felt or experienced the same.
Nope...
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Dozzi94

I agree with OP.

Also, I have nothing to add.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

No TCS here , i have VDC. For daily driving, its great(never used) ,in the rain it gets used once and a while . I've even done a lap or two on the track without having it kick in.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:18 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"No TCS here , i have VDC. '

TCS is part of VDC.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think your a retard OP my take... Been saved many,many times by TCS.. I could only imagine how you drive your car

Last edited by kham25; 01-22-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like driving my car with the TCS on when it's cold and/or wet. I usually turn it off for spirited driving on a track course. I have driven my car with TCS and it saved my behind many times. Sure, many can correct their slides, but most can't control how far their car will slide along with other vehicles on the road.

IMO, I prefer to have TCS that I can turn off than to not have the option to turn it on.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
2fast4comfort

i just looked up at the tabs i have open and the one next to this one is the " are all Z's destined to be crashed?" thread
i guess i don't need to read that one now
remember it doesn't matter if its by an inch or a mile
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Jgrizzle

I only find it to be a pain in the *** when i try accelerate into fast moving traffic and if there is a little bit of sand. It sucks the throttle away and I get nervous it wont come back in time.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv

No because I have this training DVD.
Tricked out edition!?

Brb guys... I'm running to Wal-Mart.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
ShadowHunter66

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk Lazarus
Tricked out edition!?

Brb guys... I'm running to Wal-Mart.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 AM
vlad_350z
Banned

I disagree with op. The tcs has saved me many times
Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Dozzi94

Originally Posted by kham25
I think your a retard OP my take... Been saved many,many times by TCS.. I could only imagine how you drive your car
If you have to get saved many, many times by TCS, I could only imagine how YOU drive YOUR car.

TCS is for people who need to be saved many, many times. On dry roads, it's totally not necessary unless you suck.

In wet conditions, as was stated, it's a different story, because this is a car with some power to the wheels. But if you can't keep the back end from getting squirrely on a dry day, and you rely on TCS or VDC to do so, you need some driving lessons.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
vlad_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Dozzi94
If you have to get saved many, many times by TCS, I could only imagine how YOU drive YOUR car.

TCS is for people who need to be saved many, many times. On dry roads, it's totally not necessary unless you suck.

In wet conditions, as was stated, it's a different story, because this is a car with some power to the wheels. But if you can't keep the back end from getting squirrely on a dry day, and you rely on TCS or VDC to do so, you need some driving lessons.
I live in the rainiest city in the country, ill be lucky to take the Z out on a dry day
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by Lento
Happened to me the other day and scared the crap out of me because when the throttle is cut mid corner the car locks up and starts to go sideways.
Welllll....I'd say you hit the threshold for maximum traction at whatever speed you took that turn at. It doesn't matter at that point if you have TCS on or off, you already lost control. I don't think having TCS off would have helped.

I always drive with my TCS on and I've taken some turns hard. Car feels like its on rails.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?