Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found TCS to be annoying as well, but its because it always cuts in on me when I'm making a right turn off a side street and there is a bit of sand. I should note, it seems like there is sand EVERYWHERE around me. Throttle cuts and I crap my pants as I'm now in the middle of the road with no power.

In the rain its great, cuts the throttle faster than I can really respond, and sometimes the roads get pretty slick here. In the dry I usually turn it off, I've never lost control of the car, understand throttle control, and simply find the occasional intrusion because there is sand or a wet spot to be annoying.

I don't know if there is a difference in intrusion levels between the DE and HR cars, but in my car it cuts throttle to the point where you are against the seatbelt (as described with the mustang above).
Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 PM
KPierson
Banned

I can't say VDC has ever "saved" me, but it did almost get me killed once.

I was turning left, from a stop, across two lanes of 40mph traffic. Once I entered in to the intersection I hit some gravel and the tires spun and I lost all control of the accelerator. There are times when limited traction is better then NO throttle.

I never really put myself in a position for VDC to save me and now I tend to drive with it off. If it's raining out and I have the car out I will turn it back on just to be safe, but if it is dry out the VDC is shut off.

For those of you who keep VDC off most of the time check out http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Z33_kid

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
Nobody said they bought a Z and didnt get on it. You sir are way to Fast and Furious for me.
very true...lol but yea my tcs stays on iv turned it off acouple of times but its mostly stays on
Old 01-24-2009, 10:15 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u are not turning it off u are not driving the car right imo.....good find on the kp technologies or whatever..but ill save the 40 bucks and turn it off manually ...im used to it by now...it is just a habit to turn it off right after i start it now...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VDC and TCS are not the same thing though -VDC is far more intrusive than TCS is
Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 AM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Originally Posted by dr. Venture
less yours malfunctions at certain times and it feels as if it is all coincidences the only time you should loose power is when the vehicle senses a slippage occur.

Perhaps you just do not posses the right skill as of yet to use throttle control with your foot. You should just be able to feel when the cars going to slip or not. And adjust accordingly, then there would be no use of the tcs/vdc.

Only time i've ever experienced the power loss was chirping into 2nd.....thats it!
hahahahahahaha...

I am not going to even comment.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 PM
2fast4comfort

Originally Posted by KPierson

I was turning left, from a stop, across two lanes of 40mph traffic. Once I entered in to the intersection I hit some gravel and the tires spun and I lost all control of the accelerator. There are times when limited traction is better then NO throttle.

I never really put myself in a position for VDC to save me and now I tend to drive with it off. If it's raining out and I have the car out I will turn it back on just to be safe, but if it is dry out the VDC is shut off.

For those of you who keep VDC off most of the time check out http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4.
first off it doesnt pull all the power or even close to it, second if not being able to put all the HP the z has to the offer to the ground puts you in danger maybe you should wait for a bigger gap in traffic.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by 2fast4comfort
first off it doesnt pull all the power or even close to it, second if not being able to put all the HP the z has to the offer to the ground puts you in danger maybe you should wait for a bigger gap in traffic.
It pulled enough power that I felt helpless behind the wheel. Had VDC been off I would have been safer in that circumstance.

I didn't get hit, so I obviously had MORE then enough room, even with VDC cutting the throttle.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:59 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by KPierson

^ Thats excatly what happened to me, Its really on turns when, like you said "limited traction is better than no throttle." Its dangerous especially when cars are comming at you in an intersection. You know you can make it through the intersection or turn, yea you may slip a little but no big deal. All of a sudden your half way through the turn with a truck barreling down on you and you have no power. You chit yourself.

I live in Boston where you have to go if you get an inch, otherwise you will be stuck all day.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:06 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeEntDotCom
hahahahahahaha...

I am not going to even comment.

Ha HA...SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Dr. Venture

Let me ask you all who almost get killed from a complete stop going through intersections and what not.....

Do you just slam the gas and hold it when you feel the power loss, or do you let it go and then re tap the pedal again to regain control?

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 01-26-2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:16 AM
Z04

i find that those that make threads complaining about the VDC/TCS are the ones that can not drive in the first place
Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Dr. Venture

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
Let me ask you all who almost get killed from a complete stop going through intersections and what not.....

Do you just slam the gas and hold it when you feel the power loss, or do you let it go and then re tap the pedal again to regain control?
Every issue I've had has been inside tire spin while turning, helped by some slippery surface.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
DracoLancet04Z

I drive with TCS off.... Learn to drive the car....
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
DukeEntDotCom
blah

Originally Posted by Z04
i find that those that make threads complaining about the VDC/TCS are the ones that can not drive in the first place
Sounds like someone I know
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
track1z

Default AS a matter fact...............................

Originally Posted by Lento
Just wondering if anyone else felt or experienced the same.

I always thought the TCS was a huge safety feature, but from my experiences I now trust my right foot over a computer.

I usually drive with the TCS off, but I find if it is on and I am going around a corner at a good clip the TCS doesn't let the tires have any leeway to slip.

I find that it cuts the gas to the rear wheels and makes it dangerous becuase it cuts all inputs and does not allow the driver any throttle control. Especially with the Potenzas on the car there is going to be a little slide when going around a corner enthusiasticly.

Driving with the TCS off makes the car seem to flow through turns. With it on, you start to flow, then the car feels like it locks up and the worst feeling in the world is when you have no control because your throttle is cut.

Happened to me the other day and scared the crap out of me because when the throttle is cut mid corner the car locks up and starts to go sideways.

I don't know how much it will add to the price of the Z, but the best TCS I have seen is on the new M3 where it allows a good amount of slip up to the point just before the tires would break all traction and be out of control.
I was leaving a car auction 2 weeks after I bought my Z almost 3 years ago.It started raining so I slowed down from 80 to almost 30-40 mph on the highway.I stuck the shifter in 6th turned the ac on and rolled on.The rain started pouring BAD.The type of rain that is dropping HUGE water droplets.Well I was going down hill going over a bridge and as I came upon the beganing of the bridge.I hit the lip which in turn hydro plained the car abit and the car spun sideways going down the highway.THE TCS lit up and before i could adjust it was all over.SUPRISED the airbags didn't blow from hitting the center divider head on.I pulled over checked everything went home and it had bad scuffs but nothing I couldn't fix.NOW when it rains I go to a creep.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Dr. Venture

There are certain skills acquired as you drive the car. When you become one with your car you will understand.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by DukeEntDotCom
Sounds like someone I know
all you have to do is check out the numerous "i wrecked my Z" threads. not very hard to do
Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by Z04
all you have to do is check out the numerous "i wrecked my Z" threads. not very hard to do
No telling what the world Z crashes are like, but at the rate of the forums looks as if my Z's going to become quite rare!!!

Quick Reply: Does anyone else find driving with the TCS on to be downright dangerous?