2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Carjacked...almost

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
BlueZ Brother
Custom Title.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carjacked...almost

Feel free to skip to the good parts, I know this is a wall of text.

I parked at Mac D's tonight to grab a bite and do serious collateral damage to my arteries, when suddenly I saw this guy walking around my 350Z. I didn't really think too much of it...until I saw him leaving a slip of paper under the wiper blade of my rear hatch window. Now, I was legally parked and my car was straight, so I figured it couldn't possibly be a ticket. I passed him off as just another one of those creepy marketing types leaving an advertising flier for goodness knows what on my car. Either that, or he was scoping out the "For Sale" sign I had on it and leaving his contact info. Oh well.

When I walk out to the car and unlock it I see the guy sitting in some dark corner nearby looking at me almost freakishly. He starts getting up and walking REAL slowly toward me, so I figure I better get the hell out of there before he tries anything stupid. I'm not too worried at this point since there are a buttload of potential witnesses inside McD's and even a few on the tables outside, but just to be safe I quickly get in the car and drive away, almost flooring it because at that point I'm thinking this numbskull is pretty freaking weird. As I pull out I see him pulling another slip of paper from his pocket and putting it on this BMW that was parked nearby. I'll just look at the stupid paper when I get home, I think.

And then when I get home, I pull out the paper...and it's a receipt for gas? wtf?

And then I turn on my computer and check the news, and this is what I read.

WARNING FROM POLICE

THIS APPLIES TO BOTH WOMEN AND MEN BEWARE OF PAPER ON THE BACK WINDOW OF YOUR VEHICLE-- NEW WAY TO DO CARJACKINGS.

You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. You start the engine and shift into Reverse. When you look into the rearview mirror to back out of your parking space, you notice a piece of paper stuck to the middle of the rear window. So, you shift into Park, unlock your doors, and jump out of your car to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view.

When you reach the back of your car, that is when the carjackers appear out of nowhere, jump into your car and take off. They practically mow you down as they speed off in your car.

And guess what, ladies? I bet your purse is still in the car. So now the carjacker has your car, your home address, your money, and your keys. Your home and your whole identity are now compromised!

BEWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME THAT IS NOW BEING USED.

If you see a piece of paper stuck to your back window, just drive away. Remove the paper later. And be thankful that you read this e-mail. I hope you will forward this to friends and family, especially to women. A purse contains all kinds of personal information and identification documents, and you certainly do NOT want this to fall into the wrong hands.
And then I had one of those "dot...dot...dot" moments of awkward silence.

This could have been the worst night of my life. I have to say I am this much wiser for having been through this, and hopefully you could stand to benefit from this post too.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:38 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, that was a close call man.

too bad you weren't packing...
Old 02-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Kiriller

Pretty smart way to steal a car i should say, glad you were not affected.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 PM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by Kiriller
Pretty smart way to steal a car i should say, glad you were not affected.
+1 Wow too bad thieves don't use their intellect to do something better for themselves.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
TheChineyz

What mcdonalds. Things seem so chill here in the bay, definitely not like downtown miami(excluding oakland). At least there just being crafty, we need some texas styled concealed weapons permits. Glad it you didnt get hurt.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:39 PM
always_wright
Addicted

Wow. Good deal you got the heck outta there. Freakin' thieves.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow... that's lame.

Thanks for the thread, I now know to look out for something else.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

good to know, thanks.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This exact thing happened to my sister some 15 years ago in NY. One of many reasons I back into EVERY parking spot EVERY time.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/carjack.asp
Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Zian

Whether confirmed or not by Snopes...it is a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks for the post.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:34 AM
JEKL

I almost believed this until I saw that link to Snoops. But as everyone knows, Snoops employs the best investigative reporters and retired police detectives to determine the validity of stories that float around the internet.

After reading that article I want to say to the OP that you sir are a LIAR! If the crack journalists at Snoops have failed to find an incidence if this happenening then there is no way it is plausible. You should feel ashamed of yourself for attempting to fill our forum with your lies!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by jekl1000
I almost believed this until I saw that link to Snoops. But as everyone knows, Snoops employs the best investigative reporters and retired police detectives to determine the validity of stories that float around the internet.

After reading that article I want to say to the OP that you sir are a LIAR! If the crack journalists at Snoops have failed to find an incidence if this happenening then there is no way it is plausible. You should feel ashamed of yourself for attempting to fill our forum with your lies!
^? Why is it not possible. It seems very possible to me to go up to someones window and put a piece of paper on the back and hope to nab a car, espeically if they have a rear wiper to stick it under.

Hell maybe the carjacker was reading a thread about it online, and was like F Snopes, I'll prove them wrong. Who knows?

But I think the thing that foils most car jackers is their inability to drive a stick. I have heard numerous accounts of car jackings that fail because the thief jumps in the car only to realize there is no "D" on the shifter
Old 02-16-2009, 05:13 AM
JEKL

Lento, I hope that you noticed I was being sarcastic. I was pointing out what a worthless post that link to Snoops was.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Urban Legend.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:12 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Op= fos!
Old 02-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Lento, I hope that you noticed I was being sarcastic. I was pointing out what a worthless post that link to Snoops was.
with some of the people on this forum you never know
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that's what you get for going to McDs instead of in-and-out!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
mayerkim

yeah, i don't really care for if snopes claims the story as false or not.
i think it's a good thing to keep in mind that this CAN still happen.
piece of paper or not, i think it's a good idea to be aware of your surroundings when you enter/exit your vehicle.
safe driving everyone!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
o6black350z

well Glad it didtn effect you in any way, but that would be creepy as heck!!! .... and i think its a very effective way to steal a car, i mean... its easy since the car is prolly already running and has the keys inside and all the belongings .... just get in and drive away.....