Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please help!! Keys locked in car running

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Edg_R

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

lol i hope this never happens to me *knock on wood*

I locked the keys in my previous ride (my 05 f150) and i got it open by sticking the Antenna in thru the door sill and hitting the unlock button with it.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
TheChineyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by zand02max
just go to the hood and get the nearest XXXXX guy. He should be able to help you!

Nearest what guy? What,did you jump off the troll boat..?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 PM
isktarum

not sure if you want to try sticking a coat hanger in through the window again, but it might help if you put something "sticky" on the end of it like tape or something like rubber to help friction the tip against the window button or the door lock....

if one coat hanger bends and doesn't give enough force...maybe double/triple them up -> tape them together?

just a thought
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

What I still don't get is what you're going to do once the car runs out of gas like you're wanting. Your car will still be locked with your keys inside. Then are you going to break the window or pick the lock?
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
_STEVEO_01

LULZ Op on you being here on the boards while being in this situation, I think this is the last place I would be... You my friend get an F for FAIL

Last edited by _STEVEO_01; 03-01-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Miketsi
Banned

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
What I still don't get is what you're going to do once the car runs out of gas like you're wanting. Your car will still be locked with your keys inside. Then are you going to break the window or pick the lock?

Pretty sure he's posted like 32 times that he's going to the dealer first thing in the morning to get a key made.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Gibbs
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, have you ever locked your keys out of your car?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 PM
_STEVEO_01

Originally Posted by Miketsi
Pretty sure he's posted like 32 times that he's going to the dealer first thing in the morning to get a key made.
Originally Posted by Gibbs
Just out of curiosity, have you ever locked your keys out of your car?
It has either been a long weekend for me or I have seriously lost some major IQ points reading these comments... First of all, how the hell is he going to get a key made in the morning if he locked his shiet in the car while it is running. I am assuming he doesn't have a spare considering he would have already used that to unlock the car by now. Don't you need a key in hand to make a duplicate?

Also, please explain to me how the hell do you lock your keys OUT of the car? Im here for teh lulz, time for a damn beer...

Last edited by _STEVEO_01; 03-01-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Miketsi
Banned

You just go to the dealership with proof of ownership and the vin number, and they can make one on the spot.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 AM
j007ayala

If you can reach in to touch the lock and handle why dont you just get something a little bit longer and pop the hood. Im sure you could figure out how to stop the engine then. Or get all the 3 locksmiths and yourself together and figure out a plan. Geez man. Be proactive. Typing messages to death wont stop the engine.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Shrike

Definitely a FAIL. Let this be a lesson to us all - Always have a spare key, or 5. This is ridiculous. I've gotten into so many domestic cars so easily. This car is sealed up nice and tight - even underneath. There's really no way to get into it without tearing SOMETHING up. I don't really mind eating the $25 in gas - I'm just concerned about engine components being mildly damaged by insufficient lubrication or hotspots. Well, at least i just changed the oil and it's at my house. Sorry ozone layer... this car puts out a high rate of toxins.

Just gotta tell myself that it could be worse, but i certainly do regret not just having a spare door key...
Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Shrike

As far as being on here, instead of working on the car - I've been going back and forth. I spent 4 hours prior to even posting the thread, trying to get into the car, and all day afterwards. I'm just outsourcing - looking for advice, because i had exhausted all of the options i could think of.

It's hard to explain or understand without actually trying to access the door controls from outside, yourself, but it's very hard to do more than hook onto the door handle. With the only vantage point being the rear of the window, the object sticking through has to be bent just right, heavy gauge, and about 5 feet long (especially for the hood release). *Good idea on the hood release though, that one took me awhile to think of.*

If it weren't such a pain in the @$$, i would challenge someone to try to accomplish what i am trying to without tearing something up. Even if you've experienced a similar situation with a different vehicle - I have - I believe this one is much harder to get into. I've tried everything short of, like i said, destroying something, because i really don't want to hurt the engine, but i also don't want to hurt the body. And i believe there is a fair chance that no long term damage will come of this EXCESSIVE idling.

Last edited by Shrike; 03-02-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 AM
Zian

I'm just amazed that three locksmiths couldn't get into your Z. That is more than a little ridiculous.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 AM
JSDZ33

i locked my keys in my z about 2 years ago and my gf who was in another state happened to have my spare...

i called AAA and in about 15 min some dude showed up with a slim jim and unlocked it in about 2 minutes. this thread HAS to be a joke.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by TheChineyz
Nearest what guy? What,did you jump off the troll boat..?
SHU NOOB and go back to your hole!!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 AM
blastoff99

Originally Posted by Shrike
.....I don't really mind eating the $25 in gas - ....

I thought you just filled the tank. 20gal... $25... $1.25 per gallon. Wow; I'm moving to wherever you live. j/k I probably made that part up.

Ok, so it's morning now, and inquiring minds want to know. It occurs to me that if the car DID run out of gas in the night, now you have a dead battery, because the key's been in the "run" position overnight. This STILL means you won't be able to open the doors, because the window won't go down so it won't clear the trim piece above it. Sigh.

If it's any consolation, I once moved the Z out of the garage to wash it (and I'm like you; I don't just move it, I let it run for a few minutes before shutting it off), left the keys on the seat, came back out several minutes later... and my keys were locked inside. I have no idea how this happened. Fortunately I have a spare key, but this was a real "note to self" moment.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 AM
MarvinMartian

Originally Posted by Miketsi
He told me he locked his keys in his car running, and he was drunk, and had an open bottle of beer in the drivers cup holder. He then handed me a rock, and asked me to please smash the passenger window. I smashed the **** out of that ****, he thanked me, unlocked the car, hopped in, and sped off. It was one of the most random things ever, but really fun.
You helped a drunk guy steal a car.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by MarvinMartian
You helped a drunk guy steal a car.
no, he helped a drunk drive!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 AM
NBM335

Originally Posted by Zian
I'm just amazed that three locksmiths couldn't get into your Z. That is more than a little ridiculous.
+1!!! i locked my keys in my z and got into it with a coathanger, and this was the first time iv'e ever tried to get into a car like that. It was pretty difficult took me about 45min. but a locksmith should be able to do it easy, especially with proper tools.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 AM
KatieWagner

yeah been there done that

Quick Reply: Please help!! Keys locked in car running