Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Latest FI Unofficial News!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002 | 12:11 AM
mcclaskz

Default Latest FI Unofficial News!?!

My dealer emailed me today. He has been great with info but obviously this is still unofficial. Sounds quite interesting!

"Rob,
I heard some news today (Unofficial) that Nissan is trying to offer (Through Nismo) a twin turbo induction system for the Z. They are past development and are in a testing phase right now, but may be ready by March. The real good news is that they will be Garrett turbos (The same thing as 90 - 96 TT 300ZX). This car with the twin turbos, the proper headers, camshaft, and ecu chip may top the 400h.p. mark. On top of that NISMO may also come out with a high prformance suspension system that will allow you to manually raise or lower the vehicle depending on the driving situation.

This stuff is really exciting...stay tuned for more updates."
Old 08-27-2002 | 01:20 AM
Alang

Problem is how much! From some of the prices seen so far ($80 oil cap?!), the parts alone will probably be $10K. Then you have to pay a Nissan dealership's service department to install it!!!

Hope they can get realistic about the pricing.
Old 08-27-2002 | 01:24 AM
mr. edd

everything that I've read about the new skyline coming out says that they are strongly leaning towards using the same engine as in the Z but twin turbo'ed... could be what your dealer was talking about.
The skyline was set to be out for 2004 I think so it will at least be ready by then if thats what they are talking about
d
Old 08-27-2002 | 01:53 AM
NissaNZ

I don't know about this, it sounds really awesome but wouldn't defeat the purpose of the Z being a value sports car. It will put it again at the $40-45K mark just like the 300ZXTT. I hope they're talking about the GT-R instead or maybe an optional turbo kit ad-on.
Old 08-27-2002 | 01:59 AM
mcclaskz

He is talking about Nismo, add on, aftermarket turbo set up. Nissan is smartly attempting to capture both production and post production markets. Now we shall see if it is all worth it under warranty?
Old 08-27-2002 | 05:11 AM
TJZ

Originally posted by mcclaskz
He is talking about Nismo, add on, aftermarket turbo set up. Nissan is smartly attempting to capture both production and post production markets. Now we shall see if it is all worth it under warranty?
thats the big question (if this turns out to be true)
Old 08-27-2002 | 06:28 AM
3 double-0 ZX

new car sales men have no idea what they're talking about... plain and simple. how could they? are they all nissan insiders? i wouldn't hold my breathe until you see it in a Nismo catalog.
Old 08-27-2002 | 06:47 AM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

NISMO With a TT hmm sounds interesting but its highly unlikely.

Two main reasons
1) I very seriously dought they would ever be able to get it to pass smog here in the US.

2) Too Costly and would probably push the Z into the 50k+ range.
and if its just a kit it would cost roughly 9k or more for their kit.
If you have ever priced NISMO parts in the US you could surely see that it isnt feasible for them to do this.

Kyle
http://zdriver.com
http://strictlyz.com
Old 08-27-2002 | 07:03 AM
Yuichi

Talking

As much as I would like to see the Turbo kit happen I highly doubt they will. For those of you who have read the SCC compact car article they said there is simple no room.

This is the same question I asked all the companies that already have the Z in Japan and they say the same thing. I don't think NISMO will come out with any Turbo set up. As I was just in Japan last Friday talking to them.

Then again I didn't get a chance to sneak into their development room. If I did I don't think they would let me ever come back lol. But I would love to see a turbo charger kit come out for this kit. I think a lot of people would. A bit of bad news what I hear from a good source in Japan is they don't plan on ever doing a turbo model

I'm now waiting for the Z34 There will be a Z Race car in Japan in the GT C series? Its the one where all the supped up Skyline and what not race in. That is for sure and I would like to see what happens but it will not be till next year!
Old 08-27-2002 | 07:28 AM
3 double-0 ZX

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yuichi
you guys take pictures again?
Old 08-27-2002 | 07:57 AM
matt@importlife.tv

Default Forced induction is a definate! I spoke to Nismo NA last Wednesday...

I called Nismo U.S last week to see if they were looking to sponsor cars and poke around to see if I could prototype their forced induction kit; i never asked if it existed, i just implied. I can't give out the name or email of the person I spoke to cuz he asked me to keep it DL, but he is the head of Nismo operations in U.S.A, and I don't want to burn bridges with my business contacts. But here is a summary of what we discussed.

After he told me that Nismo/Nissan doesnt partake in sponsoring personal cars, such as a Greddy or HKS would, they rather just test with the 50+ test Zs at their disposal in Japan.

We BSed about cars in general and after I told him i was getting delivery of a Daytona Blue track he opened up a bit. Told me about his test drive of a track and how it felt very similar to the e36 M3 without the back seats.

I then slyfully asked, "Would your personal preference be Turbo or Suprcharger for the 350z Nismo kit." He then continued to say that their is no guarantee that a Nismo kit is coming to the U.S because of the high cost, insurance concerns, and demand. But keep in mind he was chuckling when he was saying this.

Then he confirmed there were 50+ Zs in japan at Nismo being tested for BOTH Turbo and Supercharger kits. He also noted that even though his personal preference is Turbo, he can't deny the ease of maintenance and low cost of supercharger compared to turbo. He cited the TRD trucks with supercharger as well as Nissan's own Xterra/Frontier.

But they are definatley developing something wicked, something insurance co's will hate, and something exotics should revere. Its just a question if they will go the final mile and offer the warranty.

if you go to www.subaru.com and build a wrx, any parts that are considered major, i.e suspension, it states it is not warrantied. So if Nismo offes warranty, my contact said it will model itself close to how BMW and Dinan aligned. He even said "those guys at Dinan are THOROUGH!"

Only time will tell.