Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thoughts after owning my Z for a full week

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I would say that's a rather accurate description of owning a Z...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Lento

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the Z is a cop mangnet either. I actually find you are the first one they pick out of a crowd and look at you, but I have gone by some cops at a pretty good clip, and really haven't been bothered.

I think a lot of cops in my town also know I am a local kid so they don't really give me a hard time, and mine is the only one in my city. Plus even if you are going a bit over the limit, the car is so controlable that it doesn't give the same appearance to an outsider as a speeding civic would.

I got one ticket on the highway by a state trooper but it was a Sunday morning with no one on the road and I wanted to see what it could do. I got nailed for 93 in a 55

55 on a 4 lane highway FTL and good for about another 100 bucks on my ticket. When he asked me if I knew the speed limit I said yea, sorry officer its 65. He was like try again.

The only other time I got pulled over was by a cop on foot in my town. I pooped myself because I knew I though I was going to get chewed out that he probably saw me do when he was off duty or something...

He comes up to the window and says "Hey, what does that thing get for mileage.... its a nice car"
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
thac

I don't think it's a cop magnet, but I've been pulled over for no front plate and the officer said he wouldn't have noticed if he wasn't checking out my car.

Also got pulled over for having my GPS in my windshield because he thought it was a radar detector (which he ended up seeing in another spot on my windshield and warned me for it) and it's a "visual impairment" -- which he wouldn't have seen if he wasn't looking closely at my car.

I don't think we get pulled over more in general than other cars, but I think because it's a more rare and exotic-looking car, it gets more attention from everyone -- including cops.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
350z Guy

i agree with what you said 100%
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 AM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea the door panels suck....
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

another downfall of the Z i think is the price you pay for performance parts, sorry i went from a Nissan SER Spec V to a Z and the price diffference is 2-3x more.. But that's greatly due to the fact that one is a V6 the other is a 4cyl,
Old 04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Toby-22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Z is perfect, nothing bad about it lol. Only thing is i cant stop modding it, but thats a good thing i guess.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i no longer can DD my z .... pathfinder FTW !
Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
d1mon3k

Originally Posted by Tac-M
i no longer can DD my z .... pathfinder FTW !
I'm considering the same thing. That's the only negative thing for me. I guess that and the semi-expensive upkeep of being F/I
Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
BrokenVow

I worry about the tickets too, but in 7000 miles (it's been just about a year) I've been lucky enough to not get so much as a second glance from a cop.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
nawgee

Originally Posted by THE DEVIL Z33
Wow I don't know where you guys all live but the only ticket I ever got in my Z33 was for not having the front license plate other than that cops seem to be pretty cool here in California considering that my car isn't exactly quiet and has a 2inch drop in my previous car (eclipse turbo) I got tickets all the time especially for the exhaust and for being too low.
woot +1 for valencia area

i love the cops over here, they don't ask too many questions just as long as your not bringing attention to yourself. in fact, i had one cop pull up to me and tell me "nice tint it looks good on your car" at a carl's Jr. (at this time i drove my lancer with 10% all around)
Old 04-17-2009, 05:19 PM
skilledone

I was going about 85 MPH on 93 south in Mass today, a state trooper passes by me at least doing 90MPH and minds his business as I was minding mine. I don't think Z's are that much of a cop magnet, they have a nice appeal and a "certain driver type", just like the "BMW" owners and etc. Cops don't generalize Z's as being an affordable car to a lot of young kids on top of that.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha ..

this is one of the top reasons I bought my Z a couple weeks ago ..

Ive had a RED '91 Turbo Mr2 for just over a year now and cops DONT stop watching me .. every move I made they watched

I'm 18 .. but dont have any tickets, accidents, or anything on my record ..

got pulled over 4 times in that car .. one for rear tag light (searched my car for 30 minutes for drugs and weapons at 10:30 coming back from college) .. another for when I bought the car for no tag .. another for "rapid acceleration" out of my subdivision ( was only 4K rpm) something to do with a fight near by and they thought I might of been involved ??? .. and another I was driving down the back roads to my house and out of nowhere a cop comes flying up behind me doing atleast a 100 (its a 45 road) and tailgates me for a good mile .. then turns around and leaves

one time a cop was tailgating me one morning on the way to college and the light turned yellow .. long story short I stopped and he was in the turn left lane giving me the finger .. HHAHAHAHA

anyways .. had my Z two weeks now .. not one cop has looked at me as they drive by .. WOOOOOOOOOO

its also alot better when t-tops dont leak when it rains and the air conditioning is ice cold

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 04-18-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Metalmike350Z

I had that happen to me as I was driving home as well. I turned onto a road and was doing the speed limit(45). 5 seconds later I see headlights turn on...and they're coming up on me quick as hell, who knows how fast this guy was going. Turns out its a cop. He rides my *** for about 2 miles, including 2 turns onto different roads. I was like "wtf!" I was sure he was gonna pull me over, eventually he pulled off into a subdivision. Yeah, I'm 24 and I pay $1350 every 6 months for insurance. Clean record too, multicar discount through family(state farm). Turning 25 next tuesday, so It will go down a little.....
Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 PM
lil_shaun

the most retarted thing about the Z (only applies to base models) is no power steering...i dont get why the hell nissan would leave it out...

love the power, style, and drivabilty of it though, i find it quite comfortable as a daily driver
Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lil_shaun
the most retarted thing about the Z (only applies to base models) is no power steering...i dont get why the hell nissan would leave it out...

love the power, style, and drivabilty of it though, i find it quite comfortable as a daily driver

Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 AM
lil_shaun

Originally Posted by Spork

point?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Three Fifty Z

Ugh, a base Z does have power steering, brah.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

point?
Originally Posted by Three Fifty Z
Ugh, a base Z does have power steering, brah.
^ this

How old are you?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Three Fifty Z

Originally Posted by Spork
^ this

How old are you?
If he thinks the Z has no power steering, he'd probably **** his pants if he actually ever happened to be behind the wheel of a car with no power steering.

Quick Reply: Thoughts after owning my Z for a full week