Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The 350Z Saved my Life...Literally

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 12:45 PM
GIANNI

Originally Posted by seductiveSRT
Just because it has worked out well for you does not mean it should not be standardized. There have been many people that have lost their lives to elderly that should not be on the road. I am sure there are plenty of people that can drive well (I know my Grandpa can) and they should not worry as they should pass the test with flying colors. Sacrificing something like a couple hours every couple years to save many lives in something you should not have a problem with... and as for the younger on here, I am sure we will not have a problem submitting ourselves to the same judgment knowing what can happen to the others if we are irresponsible do not. Using the fact that you are 65 and can drive well should not have anything to do with the fact that overall there are many problems with elderly drivers and there must be a test. How can you be so ignorant after living for so long? Do you have any idea what you are arguing against?
so right
Old 05-19-2009 | 11:14 AM
KornerCarver

This is just categorizing a group of people as poor drivers when that may not be the case. Here is a perfect example of an accident that just happened near my house:

Email thisShare thisPrint thisComments (2)
Two still in hospital after deadly crash
By Joel Currier
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
05/19/2009

UPDATE: TUESDAY, 11:30 a.m. with condition updates on Matthews and Mann.
CRIME STATS
See stats around St. Louis and the nation in our searchable database.

Ashley W. Walker, 24, of St. Charles, was killed about 5:50 p.m. Sunday when she was thrown out of a car in a crash on Highway 94 about 100 feet east of Matson Hill, police said.

Walker was a passenger in an eastbound car driven by Ashley P. Matthews, who ran off the road, overcorrected and collided with an oncoming car, officials said.

Matthews, 23, of St. Peters, was airlifted to St. John's Mercy Medical Center in Creve Coeur. Matthews is now in satisfactory condition at St. John's Mercy Medical Center in Creve Coeur.

The driver of the other car, David R. Mann, 54, of Augusta, also was taken to St. John's. He was in critical condition today.

Authorities said they believe alcohol was a factor in the crash.

We can all find examples of wrecks to support our case. This accident was caused by a "young" driver drinking and ending up on the wrong side of the road. Should all young driver be required to be tested because a few of them have accidents? Whole groups should not be blamed for the actions of a few.

If we old folks drive so poorly and cause so many accidents, why are our insurance rates much lower than younger drivers. My Z costs $800 per year for full coverage with $300K liability, $250 deductible for comprehensive and collision. I also have uninsured and under insured coverage, towing and medical.
Old 05-20-2009 | 10:56 AM
racerx300zx

Glad you're okay man, gonna have to buy an engineer a beer next time I'm out with one!

As far as the "Kids" and the "Elderly" debate goes, yes, they should both be tested more stringently. But, most importantly, there should be a tougher crackdown for driving while talking/texted/ doing make up/ getting dressed/ etc. The question is, where do we draw the line. Take radios out of cars, they're a distraction, muffle all exhausts, no lights over a certain brightness? If we start going crazy with legislation then we may end up painting ourselves in a corner. Personally, I think stupid people on the road are the biggest issue, if we could weed some of them out, no matter the age, we'd be better off.

And so far as the insurance thing goes, 27, I pay $900 a year, $300k liability, under/uninsured motorist, deer coverage, comp, collision, medical, roadside assistance and the same deductable. No accidents since I was a teen. Again, it's not the young, it's not the old, it's the dumb. My favorite quote,

"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity, sadly, is permanent, and usually fatal."
Old 08-05-2009 | 11:05 AM
loudrims_inc

Question

Well today has been a crazy one that many over their life times will be able to relate to. Around noon today I was traveling N on highway 23 when an old woman decides to cross the highway in a Buick. Immediately I thought, "This is not happening, how can she not see me coming?!" Surely enough, she kept on her path to cross the highway (using one of those rural service roads) and forced me to make a split second decision that ultimately saved me, my buddy's and this grandmother's lives. I knew that I could not brake from 55-60mph in time and that if I swerved it had to be to the left as I could not afford to go into oncoming traffic. As soon as I hit the ditch we shoot straight into a foot thick phone poll and then proceed to get hit from the side and swerve off into a ditch. Luckily she just clipped my back end so the force just sent us spinning as opposed to actually inflicting damage to myself or my passenger.

Point being, the 350Z has some remarkable safety features and is designed well enough that I am able to write this the same day from my home, alive. I owned a touring model with side airbags which saved my head on impact, and the front crash beam and engine were able to reflect much of the energy from the cabin. The cars low center of gravity and great support beams throughout allowed us to absorb so much without flipping that I am still amazed. I have the link to the photo below and I am sure the car will be totaled. Therefore you can be assured I will be looking for a new one on the forums.

To conclude, I just want everyone to know how great of a car they have when it even shines so brightly in the safety aspect. This is something that drew me in when I bought the car and obviously, I will never forget or regret purchasing a Nissan 350z. Also, I want everyone to be cautious of elderly drivers and to encourage new legislation in their states if possible to ensure proper testing is conducted before they are able to renew their license. I know I am going to be writing my congressman and will be working with several other families to rewrite the statutes so that no one faces the loss of a loved one, as clearly this woman should not have been on the road and could have destroyed so many lives in a fraction of a second.

wow thats good that you all are ok..

...Q tho, maybe i misread something...so it was 3 of you in a Z???
Old 08-05-2009 | 12:53 PM
Boogshag

^ no. 2 in the z, the old lady he mentioned is was in the car he almost T boned.
Old 08-05-2009 | 01:00 PM
culvi

First off glad you are doing good. That sucks about your car as well. Hope all works out with insurance and such.

It's funny how states laws concentrate so hard on taxing you yearly on license plates, emissions, tolls, and requiring insurance (nothing against insurance at all) and totally forget about the main reason you need all of that stuff. Driving on the road! If the driver sucks, none of that matters anyways in the end! 1 dinky test when you are 16 and you are good to go for the rest of your life? Sounds ridiculous and it is!!!!

Now, I 100% agree you should classify everyone into brackets at a certain ages. We do it when you first start driving, why can't we periodically as we age??? A periodic test will not hurt anyone, young or old.
Old 08-05-2009 | 01:02 PM
loudrims_inc

Originally Posted by Boogshag
^ no. 2 in the z, the old lady he mentioned is was in the car he almost T boned.
ooook i see...ty for the clarification, i was beginning to get worried ROFL..i thought maybe they lapped it up
Old 08-05-2009 | 01:48 PM
illjim69

To all the old guys crying: If you drive as well as you say, then you won't have any problem passing an annual driver's test and thus you have nothing to worry about. Sorry if a slight inconvenience in your year can help save a life.

If it makes you feel any better, I am all in favor of raising the driving age to 18 as well.

PS - turn your blinker off.

OP - glad to hear you're okay.
Old 08-05-2009 | 01:54 PM
illjim69

Originally Posted by SOZ
The problem is, you're targeting a whole group of people simply because a few get into an accident. I'll wager that far more accidents are caused by teens and drunk drivers, girls fixing their hair and makeup, soccer moms yelling at kids and other generally distracted drivers than by "elderly" people. At what age would you suggest that a person becomes elderly and what kind of test would you suggest they take? Driver licensing and testing is pretty much a joke no matter who is being tested. Answer a few questions and a quick drive around a couple of blocks and you're good to go. Oh, and throw in a parallel parking check since I guess if you can parallel park you can handle a major skid on a wet road. One other thing.... If we "elderly" people are such bad drivers, why are our insurance rates a third of what teens and twenty somethings pay?
For the same reason you old folks get discounts on everything else, you're about to kick the bucket, the least the insurance companies can do is help you save up for a nice headstone.

I do agree with the driver testing in America being BS, it needs to be way harder than it is currently.
Old 08-05-2009 | 02:09 PM
TheFarmer

Glad everyone involved is still alive.
Old 08-05-2009 | 06:08 PM
loudrims_inc

...by the way, want to sell me your front right wheel?? plsssssss
Old 08-05-2009 | 06:33 PM
Word Sux

your one lucky guy

shows you the structural integrity of the Z. I had a freind who was in a very similar accident but in a s2000 and was in a coma for 3 months that ****ing car crumpled up like a tin can and almost killed him.
Old 08-06-2009 | 05:25 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by Ruff_Racer
ooook i see...ty for the clarification, i was beginning to get worried ROFL..i thought maybe they lapped it up
HAHA yea grandma and his friend sharing a seatbelt! GTFO my grandma!!
Old 08-06-2009 | 12:33 PM
hpka365

Good to see the Z kept you safe.
I agree with you about old people driving though. My mom won't even let my dad drive anymore. Now I drive him whenever he needs to go somewhere.

this was all I could think of while I was going through this thread.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4P7_t4-WsB8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4P7_t4-WsB8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-15-2009 | 09:36 PM
YETI321

Good ol Z
Old 08-16-2009 | 01:05 AM
rlw222

Just because it has worked out well for you does not mean it should not be standardized. There have been many people that have lost their lives to elderly that should not be on the road. I am sure there are plenty of people that can drive well (I know my Grandpa can) and they should not worry as they should pass the test with flying colors. Sacrificing something like a couple hours every couple years to save many lives in something you should not have a problem with... and as for the younger on here, I am sure we will not have a problem submitting ourselves to the same judgment knowing what can happen to the others if we are irresponsible do not. Using the fact that you are 65 and can drive well should not have anything to do with the fact that overall there are many problems with elderly drivers and there must be a test. How can you be so ignorant after living for so long? Do you have any idea what you are arguing against?
I'm 52 ys old and feel safer now than I ever did when I was in my 20's. last accident I had was when I was 25 and had 3 before that. so for 20 yrs nothing but 2 deer and they do not count.But I will agree after 70 they should every 3 yrs or so check em out
Old 08-16-2009 | 01:13 AM
Silkfiveseven

so did the grandma pay for it or anything like that
Old 08-22-2009 | 09:25 AM
formulaben

Originally Posted by Silkfiveseven
so did the grandma pay for it or anything like that
Yeah, whose insurance paid for this accident?!
Old 08-22-2009 | 10:49 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

The elderly 'cause of their poor reflexes, hesitant-type of driving, poor eyesight, etc. The young ones 'cause of their daring moves! Actually, "Watch Out for the Other Driver" is STILL a valid piece of advice, regardless.
Old 08-22-2009 | 11:04 AM
ChickenZ
Banned

Watching other drivers as stated above is the key to staying safe on the road.

Always be aware of people behind you, people moving into your blind spots(or you in theirs, I always speed up to get out of em), people in front of you speeding a bit that may switch into your lane quickly. I could'nt tell you how many times I avoided an accident just by watching the drivers around me.

Just pat attention to your surroundings.

Last edited by ChickenZ; 08-22-2009 at 11:06 AM.