Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy the Track model?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 07:57 PM
The Unabageler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by raceboy

LOL, you call autocross going to the track?? Autocross is racing masturbation. Bring one of them eyeteeares (yeah, I know it's an Integra Type R) to a real racetrack and prepare to be lapped. An ITR is still just a glorified front drive econobox.
people who autox and call it racing are cone-dodging crossdressers. climb the pyramid of speed *****!
Old 08-29-2002, 08:04 PM
max2000jp

Originally posted by ordare
Game Over...while I want to call you an idiot, I will refrain. The Z is a great track car and I have no idea why you would think otherwise. Having logged days this year alone on 4 different tracks : Grattan, GingerMan, Blackhawk Farms and Road America in my Audi I would argue that there is no such thing as a car not worth taking to the track. No one on this board is going to set the course record for a lap regardless of the car they run, nor will anyone on this board be engaging in wheel to wheel competition, at least not in thier Z. It just does not work that way. 99.999% of people who "track" thier cars do it with clubs or schools. The whole point of these events is to explore your skill and the limits of your car in a safe and controled environment. While perhaps there might be some friendly Hot Lap competition amongst friends I doubt anyone on this forum has an SCCA Solo I liscense. Suggesting that taking a car such as the Z to the track is "NUTZ" simply shows your lack of experience with such events and the benefits they offer for all drivers of any age, sex, or skill level without regard to the type of car they drive. If anything you should want more people to get some track time under their belt as skills such as threshold braking, apexing, and controling under / oversteer just might be the difference in whether or not they T-bone your new car at 45 mph.
I totally agree with you! Until you take your car to the track, you havent explored any part of its limits. I dont car what anyone says, you cannot tell how well a car will handle on a track by driving on the streets. Its a whole new ballgame when you step onto the track. A lot of people think they are great drivers, but you havent really tested you abilities if you havent been on a road course.

BTW.....Gingerman is a great track. I have been there a few times for open track. I dont know if I would run anywhere else. The layout of the track is great and you cant really hit a wall unless your an idiot. I plan on taking my Z there as much as I can afford. Tires, brakes, and track time dont come cheap.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:30 PM
max2000jp

Originally posted by ordare
If you like G-man you'll love Grattan outside Grand Rapids...trust me it's wicked fun.

http://www.grattanraceway.com/

The staright is LOOOOOONG, I easily hit 115-120 in my Audi. There is also a wicked off camber downhill turn that is faster than you think and a sweet uphill blind apex that you drift out onto the main straight.
Sounds like fun! Maybe I will have to head up there before the end of the season. How much does it cost for open track and how long does it usually take you to get there. The reason I love Gingerman is because it is so safe.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:30 PM
bhobson333

I just read the linked thread:

Since you never answered my question if you were the guy from zcar that could not figure out how to log on here and then went on to attack this board:

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=60169&t=60169 .

I think it's pretty safe to assume it was you. If it's so terrible here, why do you come?

ROFLMAO! ..... And then I give thanks that I don't have to deal with that rude, sophomoric BS on this board. I sure hope it stays that way! Good job, moderators!
Old 08-29-2002, 10:14 PM
raceboy
Banned

Hello??? You must have me confused with someone else. I have 15 years of racing experience at 30 including 15 years of karting with numerous club championships. I raced in the Barber FF West tour for 3 years placing as high as 3rd in the championship even though funding stopped me from competing in all the races that year. I have held an SCCA Competition License since I was 18 and have competed in SCCA FF (Formula Ford), FV(Formula Vee), and F500(Formula 500). Last year I logged at least 1500 miles on racetracks in a street car (mainly MR2 Spyder) at tracks such as Laguna Seca, Big Willow, Streets of Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, and Thunderhill. Currently I am trying to put together the piecces to do a Spec Miata. Hopefully that clears things up.

Last edited by raceboy; 08-29-2002 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:00 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey raceboy--
do you ever go out with Open-Track.com (which is now socal NASA)

are you going to goto Willow Springs this Sept 8?

just curious--

Cheston

Hello??? You must have me confused with someone else. I have 15 years of racing experience at 30 including 15 years of karting with numerous club championships. I raced in the Barber FF West tour for 3 years placing as high as 3rd in the championship even though funding stopped me from competing in all the races that year. I have held an SCCA Competition License since I was 18 and have competed in SCCA FF (Formula Ford), FV(Formula Vee), and F500(Formula 500). Last year I logged at least 1500 miles on racetracks in a street car (mainly MR2 Spyder) at tracks such as Laguna Seca, Big Willow, Streets of Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, and Thunderhill. Currently I am trying to put together the piecces to do a Spec Miata. Hopefully that clears things up.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:19 AM
raceboy
Banned

Karting is still the best way to go. You will learn more in a year of karting than you would if you started in larger formula type cars. If I could make one suggestion; don't start karting in shifters. I see so many people try to start in shifters because they think they are so much cooler than "clutch karts." Believe me, you will have your hands full in the clutch kart. The last thing a beginner needs to worry about is shifting 28 times in a 45 second lap. You basically end up driving one handed most of the time. Look into the Rotax Max spec class. Lots of power, much more than a KT100, and it's all driver.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:13 PM
GameOver

ordare...........WHATEVERRRRRRRRRR!

what good is it gonna be to have a good 0-60 or .25 times if your car is not well balanced On autoX ITR rules PERIOD, theres nothing else to argue Ordare. I dont have a ITR, I drive a 98 eclipse gsx; pretty heavy too.

Lets get back to the ORIGINAL topic..."why buy a track model?" Cuz nissan convinced you to do so through their marketing skills. 500 dollars on a body kit that you can barely notice its there...ohh I forgot, it gives you enough downforce at cruising speeds.... >130mph???? or to be more conservative >90mph ???
Old 08-30-2002, 12:44 PM
roberto350z

I have been subjectively reviewing the comments on this thread, and I have made my decision:

1) I rule in favor of the Track. Arguments against the Track suck.
2) I rule against the ITR. I have seen heavily modified FWD's lose too much against other RWD.
3) I rule that I will never compete against raceboy
4) Im an idiot
5) this debate is old
Old 08-30-2002, 12:51 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

rp-

Correct on all accounts....

lol, just kidding about 4

GameOver-

There really is just so much to rip apart about your posts. However, I just lack the desire to debate with someone like yourself. I truly hope you stop posting and start reading more...then try putting together logical, intelligent posts.

JD
Old 08-30-2002, 12:52 PM
Zrated

Arguments against the Track ARE weak. It IS worth it if thats what you want, and if its not what YOU want leave it be. As far as Nissan marketing the Track model to us, well.....I haven't seen any marketing.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:52 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z Dreamer:

About your avatar
Old 08-30-2002, 01:08 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

I have to agree with EnthuZ...

Z Dreamer- Please change your avatar.