Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

hows the 350z engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009 | 04:57 PM
dynamic21

Originally Posted by freshlettuce
okay, then that brings me to my next question. How's the transmission on the car? If I drive it normally, shift at reasonable speeds and don't beat the lights out of it, how long do you think that will last me?
That's the problem really, the transmission on the 2003's start showing synchro wear (if it's present) during normal driving, which I'd say is regular shifting at 2400-2800 RPM's. The well known "third gear grind" is most apparent on cold mornings/starts during easy shifting and won't go away until the transmission has warmed up. Even then, it's only a sign that things are going to get worse, to a point where it's grinding into third at any RPM's, cold or not, and requires you to double clutch. You really need to test drive the vehicle on a cold morning and just see if it's grinding.

All in all, if you're using a highway 90% of the time to get to work and that's ALL you're going to use the Z for, I say get it. Otherwise, seriously contemplate your decision. The MT's are not fun in stop-n-go traffic... Include the 3rd gear grind and I guarantee you'll regret buying it.
Old 07-05-2009 | 01:10 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by Spork
It doesn't have VTEC.
All you need is a sticker Br0!!!?!?!?!?!!!?!!!

But honestly go for it and have the engine rebuilt with good internals for that 3k. Then save up for a turbo while the engine breaks in.
Thats a perfect way to go.
(3k could cover it if you go eagle rods and some cheaper pistons and you get a good install deal unless you DIY)
well thats what I would do...
Rebuilding the engine would allow you to resell it for a bit more should you decide not to turbo it...
Old 07-05-2009 | 01:17 AM
Resmarted

Originally Posted by freshlettuce
okay, then that brings me to my next question. How's the transmission on the car? If I drive it normally, shift at reasonable speeds and don't beat the lights out of it, how long do you think that will last me?
Lets put it this way.
Most problems on tranny should be apparent already (if you have a lemon)
If you don't beat on it it should last the life of the engine.
Sound Performance used a stock 6 speed to run 8 second quarter miles (if im wrong then i know for sure they pushed 1000+whp and ran at least 9 seconds).
My auto has been strong, a bit slow on shifting but it is good.
Just follow owner's manual and this car will last. Any problems i've had were motors in windows and cloth top. Otherwise this thing can last.
My starter isn't looking so good though. Will have 2 take a look at it 2day.
Old 07-06-2009 | 09:02 AM
TJGILROY

^^^ what retarded said....lol....my bad, resmarted....hehe