Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:54 PM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Greddytwin350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys why are we bashing this guy so hard! Dude the main point is to be safe. Deffinitly do it yourself! Its so easy once you have it up! I did my Stillen test pipes and Nismo headers at the same time. If these guys think the 5 bolts and 1 02 sensor thats in each test pipe is hard then they are the ones that need to pay for someone else to do it!!!! Seriously! Put a set of headers on! Ha Ha. Now thats a biotch! If you are remotely mechanically inclined its a piece of cake to put test pipes on! Just be careful with the 02 sensor. If im not mistaken one of the 3 bolts at the top you have to go threw the engine bay with long extensions to get it. Also I had to buy CEL adapters for my 02 sensors because when I first did it my CEL light stayed on. Once I added the spacers it never came back on. Buddy, be safe and goodluck. I had this setup ( Nismo CAI, headers, Stillen test pipes, Nismo exhaust) on my z before I went F/I. It sounded awesome!!!!! If you love loud you will like it. Again be safe and good luck! Guys lets give him a break. Atleast he's not scared to aleast try and do it, can you guys say the same!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 AM
G4nismo

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

not to hijack the OP's thread but i bought some Rhino ramps couple days ago and placed them in front of the car to see how close it was to touching it. its pretty darn close i have to say and i'm afraid that i'll scrap the car as i'm driving up on it. has anyone experienced any issues w/ the ramps?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

^ they are close...most do it no problem.......if you scrap, its at the very bottom and not noticeable at all since the ramps are plastic it my scuff, but not scrap.

-J
Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Greddytwin350Z

I wish I could use ramps! Nismo V.2 and suspension kit gives almost no clearance at all!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:20 AM
blktrack350

i have installed testpipes/cats 5 times on the z and it is very easy. no need to go threw the hood to get to the top bolts. i have very large hand and i can do it just fine. and i use 2 jack stand and a low profile jack. should only take 45 min to 1 hour if you take your time and dont mess up.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Legacy406
Premier Member

Received 3,436 Likes on 2,710 Posts

Originally Posted by blktrack350
i have installed testpipes/cats 5 times on the z and it is very easy. no need to go threw the hood to get to the top bolts. i have very large hand and i can do it just fine. and i use 2 jack stand and a low profile jack. should only take 45 min to 1 hour if you take your time and dont mess up.
Depends on how rusted the bolts are.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Grimnar444

Originally Posted by Legacy406
Depends on how rusted the bolts are.
just squirt some pb blaster on them and let it sit for around en minutes. mine were rusted pretty bad and i really helped me break them loose
Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 AM
03aeroZ

OP--just be safe. Had a guy around here die recently because he jacked his car up, was sliding under the car and moved the low pro jack. The handle came down over his neck and he suffered severe brain damage (ended up dying) when all was said and done. The alternative is that the car falls on you....same outcome I am sure.

I don't even like changing a tire with the stock jack....always afraid it will drop the car (paranoid for no reason, I know). Do it safe or have someone do it for you.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
OP--just be safe. Had a guy around here die recently because he jacked his car up, was sliding under the car and moved the low pro jack. The handle came down over his neck and he suffered severe brain damage (ended up dying) when all was said and done. The alternative is that the car falls on you....same outcome I am sure.

I don't even like changing a tire with the stock jack....always afraid it will drop the car (paranoid for no reason, I know). Do it safe or have someone do it for you.
Good point. The point here is not how easy or difficult it is but how to do it safely.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a sad story.

About the stock jack that comes with the car:
No one should be using that for regular o'l garage work. You save that for when you have a blown tire on the side of the road.

You can get some jackstands for 15 bucks at SEARS and handle jack for fairly cheap.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Zolid

Originally Posted by Z redZ
Hi,

I just recieved my test pipes and i want to install them myself to save money. My question is regarding how I would be able to gain access to the underside of my Z. Would the jack that comes with the car lift the car enough and safely to install the pipes or is there another way.

This is probably a stupid question but forgive me.
You sure you even want to try to install them yourself? Just by asking this question I have doubts on your mechanical abilities.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:53 AM
blktrack350

thats why people need to use jack stands and never just a jack
Old 07-11-2009, 02:45 PM
DCshortyG123

Once the car is up im sure he can do it. Have some faith people. Even if he has never done it before he should learn. Everyone has to start somewhere
Old 07-11-2009, 03:44 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Greddytwin350Z
I wish I could use ramps! Nismo V.2 and suspension kit gives almost no clearance at all!
What about jacking up both sides high enough to place the ramps underneath instead of driving up on them? You could also turn the ramps backwards to give more room to move under the middle of the car.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:45 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by JCat
Here you go !!

And I call BS on this pic. I have been under mine several times and it is not blue!!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by *ICE*
haha test pipes?!? good luck with changing them out if you only have jack stands!

Listen to me now, better take it to the shop and pay around $50-$90 to get them change. Trust me, you will thank me later. Those pipes are a bitch to SWAP!!!!
+1

Jesus put those bolts on the cats.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 PM
R350Zz33

its very easy i did it with the help of my friend. we used 1 jack 2 jack stands(jacked as high as we could go)
a **** load of extensions a 10 mm 17mm 15mm 14mm 22 open end small makeshift breaker bar head bolts are a *****.
u have to take out the air boxes and since i have a 08 it means twice the work. i paid $200 for my turbo xs pipes they are really good quality and no cel also we were ripping at the bar shalking the car everything it was perfectly safe. i say u need to grow a pair. im 17 and i have bigger ***** then u
Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Made me think about this thread....
Attached Thumbnails Ways to get under the car safely???-image008.jpg  
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to live to see how your car differs with the test pipes, go to a shop and have then do it. If you want to risk your life and do it yourself, jackstands are a man's best friend. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Ways to get under the car safely???