Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

plain n simple where does the z rank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 05:18 PM
shimz350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plain n simple where does the z rank?

can we get a reasonable answer to where we stand(every category)?...our fairlady, sti, evo8,srt4,s2k,boxter,g35, etc....

i've read many forums defending our car but...let's just face the facts where do WE STAND?...we get "flamed" and we "flame" back...someone have any opinions?...thanks.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:33 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

There is no way to answer your question.
Even the pros who rank cars for aliving would never decide the same way.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:46 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres what I KNOW. these are equal drivers both taking advantage of their car to their best potential side by side.

we are faster than an RX8, we are slower than a STI and a EVO from a stand.

from a roll we are faster than the RX8 still but we will be closer to the STI and EVO, EVO might be beatable on a roll, depends what speed your starting at.

we are near equal with the boxster, S2000, G35, and SRT4. the last one truely is sad, but its true, they are far under rated, and have the power to make up for their FWD disadvantage. by equal I mean if you race 6 times you will likely win no more than 4 of them.

luxury, G35 and boxter are nicer.

handling I dont know enough to make that determination, but I would guess that the S2k has us beat. as we have the G35 beat, evo STI and SRT4 not sure. boxster likely has a slight advantage.

anyway thats honestly what I believe. some will disagree, but I think its a fair judgement.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:46 PM
shil01

#1!

Thats why we bought it right?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:03 PM
EnthuZiast

Okay if were talking equal drivers and conditions than it is easier to form an opinion.
Straight Line:
Sti-EVO8-Z-S2K-G35-SRT4-BOXSTER-(not Boxtser S version)
Roll:
Sti=Evo8=Z-S2K-G35-SRT4-BOXSTER
Twisties:
BOXSTER-EVO8=STi-S2K-Z-G35-SRT4
Make Quality:
BOXSTER-S2K-G35-Z-STI-EVO8-SRT4
Sexiness
Z=Boxster-G35-S2k-EVO8-STI-SRT4
Overall the only way I would pick a drifferent car than the Z is if the Boxster S was in the same price range. I still think that the Z would get more looks though.
JUST MY .02c
Old 10-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Hank Scorpio

I think the Z is the best combination of price, performance, and appearance. The other cars either cost too much, don't perform as well, or look grotesque.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:38 PM
EnthuZiast

"Homer, If you could kill some people on the way out that would be great"
Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Beaker02

Originally posted by ares
heres what I KNOW. these are equal drivers both taking advantage of their car to their best potential side by side.

we are faster than an RX8, we are slower than a STI and a EVO from a stand.

from a roll we are faster than the RX8 still but we will be closer to the STI and EVO, EVO might be beatable on a roll, depends what speed your starting at.

we are near equal with the boxster, S2000, G35, and SRT4. the last one truely is sad, but its true, they are far under rated, and have the power to make up for their FWD disadvantage. by equal I mean if you race 6 times you will likely win no more than 4 of them.

luxury, G35 and boxter are nicer.

handling I dont know enough to make that determination, but I would guess that the S2k has us beat. as we have the G35 beat, evo STI and SRT4 not sure. boxster likely has a slight advantage.

anyway thats honestly what I believe. some will disagree, but I think its a fair judgement.
I thinks thats a fair assesment.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:11 PM
TELCO119

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
"Homer, If you could kill some people on the way out that would be great"
Ummmmmm....I tackled a loafer at work today
Old 10-06-2003, 07:16 PM
JPizzle

Okay if were talking equal drivers and conditions than it is easier to form an opinion.
Straight Line:
Sti-EVO8-Z-S2K-G35-SRT4-BOXSTER-(not Boxtser S version)
Roll:
Sti=Evo8=Z-S2K-G35-SRT4-BOXSTER
Twisties:
BOXSTER-EVO8=STi-S2K-Z-G35-SRT4
Make Quality:
BOXSTER-S2K-G35-Z-STI-EVO8-SRT4
Sexiness
Z=Boxster-G35-S2k-EVO8-STI-SRT4
Overall the only way I would pick a drifferent car than the Z is if the Boxster S was in the same price range. I still think that the Z would get more looks though.
JUST MY .02c
I think the twisties are more as follows:
Boxster-Z=S2K-sti=evo8-g35-srt4
Old 10-06-2003, 07:25 PM
IMAZLPR

well, an RSX Type-S beat the crap out of a guy i know who have an EVO8 on a roll. the RSX have bolt-on upgrades, still N/A though. the EVO8 had an intake and blow-off valve. EVO8 and STI are meant for rally and 1/4 mile.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Enron Exec

"Im from Canada, they think im slow, aaaaeeeee?"
Old 10-06-2003, 07:37 PM
EnthuZiast

I say the S2K has an advantage because from what I've seen at the track it takes an Apex better. Were just a little bit clumsy compased to its razor sharp turn radius and lower weight. I haven't seen enough of the EVO and STI at the track but have seen the numbers and am quite impressed with there cornering even outside of rally events. Just my opinion there might be more qualified than I hear but I do know all of these cars more than the average person and think my opinion is somewhat on target.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Chris S

I may be biased, but I'd put my S2000 at the top in handling against it's main rivals (350Z & Boxster S), while acceleration is a driver's race and too close to reach a consistent conclusion. The G35C is a distinct step down in performance, but still a cool car w/ other advantages.

I haven't driven an STi or Evo yet, so can't provide any firsthand experience how they compare...prob. a bit better in pure performance, but maybe not as high in fun factor (plus I don't think the F 'n F look would be good for my image at work). I haven't driven the RX-8, either, but it seems to handle a lot like a S2000, minus the power and plus a full-time top.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:20 AM
shimz350z

thx for the info guys...quite interesting...now find out who that chick is on my last post lol...
Old 10-07-2003, 01:14 AM
KONVERTER

We gotta settle this on the black top...
Old 10-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Subbacultcha

what does it matter. its your money, you buy what you like. who cares what others think.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:07 AM
toykilla

the only other cars i would have considered out of those are the s2000 (but dont want convert) and teh g35c

sti is fast yes, but try picking up chicks in it.
evo8 is fast yes but fugly.. again try picking up chicks in it
srt4.. do i even need to comment on this ?
boxster.. i have never been a fan of porsche designs..
rx8.. i kinda like the looks.. not as sport as the z but its relatively slow

so to answer your question there is no other car within the price range of the z that i would have bought.. (ruling out g35c)

next on the list would be an M3.. i would buy an m3

corvettes are fast yes, but have sh#t for interior and i see them on every corner.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 AM
EnthuZiast

I think you much more likely to spin out an S2000 at the track than a boxster. That mid engine design is pretty untouchable at the track. The car is SO nuetral with no over or understreer. I think a BOXSTER S would have the advantage at the track. The regular boxster could take the turn better but has no ***** to power out of it.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:12 PM
archman350z

I think you much more likely to spin out an S2000 at the track than a boxster. That mid engine design is pretty untouchable at the track. The car is SO nuetral with no over or understreer. I think a BOXSTER S would have the advantage at the track. The regular boxster could take the turn better but has no ***** to power out of it.
I have to disagree. Having a bunch of friends with Porsches (of various design), they pretty much say the rear-engine is a disadvantage. On a skid pad, they tend to be neutral to light understeer...however, once that tail gets swingin' they turn into an oversteering monster. This is actually good for a professional driver since he can accurately control the swing to his advantage (much like the rally guys use the pendulum method) and place the car where it needs to be. Believe me, you don't want to be a rookie running a 911 at 10/10ths. Also, a spinning car tends to lead with the heavy end, so most of these guys go in backward...pretty scary.

I consider the S2000 to be the ONLY competition for the Z. They are similar design, price, weight, etc. Honda did a wonderful job on this car, except they made it a convertible. I didn't buy one because the cockpit is very cramped and not fun to be in. On a short, twisty road-course the S2000 will eat the Z alive because it is very light and with an 8,000 RPM redline, you won't have to constantly change gears. We'll need a set of huge, sticky tires to keep up in these conditions. On the otherhand, on long, open spaces the S2000 is no match for the Z. It really all averages out to equal on a medium-sized course.

I think there are a lot of similarities between the S2000 and Z rivalry and the EVO VIII and STi rivalry. The S2000 and EVO are lighter and more nimble, but the STi and Z have the raw, "in your face" power. It's all about Yin and Yang...

Last edited by archman350z; 10-07-2003 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: plain n simple where does the z rank?