2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Bees in a can in my Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Norel350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bees in a can in my Z

Ive started to notice this a little over the past few days

When driving at a constant speed i hear a winning noise from my rear end, i figure it my be normal being that the car is rear wheel drive. Ive never had a rear wheel drive car before, but i figure it may be normal... anyone know if it is?

The bigger questions for me is this bee's in can noise i hear. When the car is idleing i notice it, also from the rear. I know from alot of people who had after market Y pipes on maximas, they use to get this problem. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem on their Z.

The car has a little less then 1k on it, had it about a month now, and ive started to notice all this in the past week or so. Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Dissolved

it's most likely clutch chatter you're hearing at idle. Depress the clutch and it will stop. Normal thing and there are hundreds of posts on this. Nissan hasnt acknowledged it as a problem yet.

The rear whine is normal in these cars. Been in a few 6spds and they all did it. All my old Zs whined too. There are some nuts on here that will tell you that you need a new rear though.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:19 AM
peptidbond

Nope, not clutch clatter. Also the "bees in a can" coming from the rear is not drive related at all.

The "bees in a can" noise is your fuel pump. It had me fooled too. Kneel down at the rear of the car when it is idling (don't get too close to that tail pipe). You should hear "ssshhh.........shhhhh.......ssssshhhhhhshhshs.....ssshh h". That is the fuel pump. Because it is a returnless fuel system, the pump only runs when needed.

The whinning noise coming from the rear when driving might be the fuel pump. This is a big might be. When driving, it would of course run constantly. However, mine is quiet enough that I could never hear it when driving. Could be the tires? Not sure though. But the "bees in a can" is definitely your fuel pump. It is that loud, but that is good. Take it as a sign of power
Old 10-08-2003, 09:36 AM
Norel350Z

well thats good to know about the fuel pump.. but the winning goes away when i add power, or come off the gas.. but say im costing at 70 i hear it, most of the time over the stero.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:43 AM
peptidbond

After market stereo? How about the bose? Whinning coming fromt the stereo is a sign of a bad electrical ground (technically "ground loop interference").
Old 10-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Dissolved

I assumed the bees in the can was the clutch chatter we all get. (wtf do bees in a can sound like anyway lol ). But yes, as peptidbond said fuel pump noise is probably what you're hearing. In some cars it's easy to tell if it's the fuel pump. After you shut the car off, the "bees in a can" (as you call it) will persist for a few seconds. Doesnt do this on the Z though.

About the whining: It's definitely not your fuel pump or stereo. There was another guy here who mentioned the same noise. Said at 70mph you can hear it and it is noticeable even above the stereo. It's coming from the rear end. Talked to a lot of guys that have this too.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Norel350Z

the bees in a can sound like buzzing, but with a metalic sound... I don't have a aftermarket stero, nor do i have bose (Enths) the winning noise usually happeneds at exactly 69 mph, and up... id love to know what causes it, and if i should be concerned... the bees in a can make me wonder if something in the exaust is loose, it sounds like its dead center just over my right shoulder, between the rear speakers, but lower, through the floor.....

hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-08-2003, 05:50 PM
SweatyPalm

I would like to apologize for not contributing to the topic but the "bumper plugs" in your signature makes me laugh out very loud.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by SweatyPalm
I would like to apologize for not contributing to the topic but the "bumper plugs" in your signature makes me laugh out very loud.

Dont laugh. I will need them soon too. Damn dealers and their holes

Norel, I can't postively tell you what the bees in a can sound is for obvious reasons. If you're worried, take it to your dealer. It possibly could be a combination of fuel pump and "throwout bearing" type noise all in one.

The whine I would not be concerned about (provided it is not too audible). If it's a low "hum" you're fine. Tons of cars have rear whine. Has to do with the way the gears are aligned. *Sometimes*, hum from the rear is a sign of misaligned gears. This will cause premature wear. But from what I gather from the boards, lots of folks have the hum. Does this mean all our gears will wear out? Who knows. Just out of curiousity, what type of warranty plan did you get? I forgot tonight, but I'll check for the hum at 70mph on my car too. PM me if I dont get back to you
Good luck
Old 10-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Wedge

I am confused. I thought your original post said the whinning sound was coming from YOUR rear end. I was going to suggest less beans and looser underwear.

Now I realize you were talking about your Z. I haven't heard that noise yet, but now I will be listening for it.

Good luck with getting rid of the noise. If you ever find a definate cause let us know!
Old 10-09-2003, 05:01 AM
Norel350Z

Default Thanks

thanks for all the help, MY rear end is just fine, and from what i gather i really have nothing to worry about with my car. The whinning seems normal, if other have it, I still may take it down to the dealer to get checked out.
The bees in a can, I think has to do with the exsuaust. I notice that when the car is in not in gear and the clutch isn't depressed it happeneds. Also it normally is when the car is cold, and hasn't started up. I also noticed that its only started to happen since the temp around here in NY has dipped into the 40s and 50s over night... So I think it has something to do with just a cold exsaust, and hot gas flowing through it. Im really going to keep an eye on it and see if i can pick up on where it is comeing from. Also when i do my first oil change, while im under the car, ill take a look around, see if i see anything out of place..

Thanks again for the help.

One last question, I do alot of around town driving, commuting to college, and such. Im wondering when i should do my first oil change, now that im approching 1k and the break in period will end in another 400 miles. should i do it at 1k, 1400, 3500, or 7k?.. i read the board, and i still really have no idea.. and the service manual doesn't exactly help.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Wedge

Default Oil Changes

The recommended oil change interval is very strange. It is an odd number of 3750 miles.

In the old days, it was recommended that all fluids such as oil, transmission fluid and even differencial oil be changed after 500 miles. This was recommended due to the possibility of any contaminant such as metal shavings etc. being present from the manufacturing process. Some old time mechanics still swear by this rule.

The manual for your Z indicates that if you do a lot of stop and go or city driving (as you mentioned) that you change your oil more often.

Many people find changing oil every 3000 miles works well. Others change it even more often. The choice is yours. You cannot change your oil too often, however unless you race your car, changing it more often than 2500 mile intervals may border on being a little radical.....

Check the carrying case that your owners manual and other booklets came in........there should be a card with maintenance schedules listed for various components of your car. Including oil change intervals.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:54 AM
peptidbond

My car whistles at 100+ (almost on the nose), but that is another issue. It is really loud too.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:15 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by peptidbond
My car whistles at 100+ (almost on the nose), but that is another issue. It is really loud too.
My car whistles also, but sounds like through the windows over 40mph. Most audible in the mornings though.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:24 AM
digerydingo

Originally posted by peptidbond
Nope, not clutch clatter. Also the "bees in a can" coming from the rear is not drive related at all.

The "bees in a can" noise is your fuel pump. It had me fooled too. Kneel down at the rear of the car when it is idling (don't get too close to that tail pipe). You should hear "ssshhh.........shhhhh.......ssssshhhhhhshhshs.....ssshh h". That is the fuel pump. Because it is a returnless fuel system, the pump only runs when needed.

The whinning noise coming from the rear when driving might be the fuel pump. This is a big might be. When driving, it would of course run constantly. However, mine is quiet enough that I could never hear it when driving. Could be the tires? Not sure though. But the "bees in a can" is definitely your fuel pump. It is that loud, but that is good. Take it as a sign of power
Thanks, I think. I never noticed the sound until I read it here yesterday. Now with the radio off I can hear it whenever I stop. I don't know that it's a good thing but at least I know I've heard it and it's normal!