Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

General advice for a teen.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009 | 08:19 PM
fiercekid3

Obviously you sound like a responsible young adult. Get the car if you think you can handle all the responsibilities such as insurance, gas, tires, stress(beaters wanting to race you/door dents) and keeping the ride clean. I'm 18 right now but got the Z as a hand me down at 16. If I was handed 20K to buy a car, I'd actually just get a beater and save.
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:38 PM
poolguy

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Then good for you! My suggestion is decide on exactly what you want; the year, color, options, etc. Then be patient and do not settle on anything less because you just want one the second you get that check.

A few weeks ago I drove 5 hours to DC to pick up a G35 for my DD. It was a pain, but I ended up getting a one owner '04 with only 37k miles on it for $13,450.

As stated, Yahoo, Autotrader are great. Also look at Craigslist, eBay, Vehix and the local papers. Good luck with the purchase. Keep us in the loop when you finally get it.

I see you are taking it easy on the OP. I guess since he admitted that he was purchasing it because of family? And you got a G35 for that cheap? WOW!

To the OP, buying the car is easy. Keeping it maintaned correctly is hard and expensive. Very expensive. It comes out to about $500+ per month. Most kids only make $500 per month. But I am assuming your family will help you out with that?
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:53 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by poolguy
I see you are taking it easy on the OP. I guess since he admitted that he was purchasing it because of family? And you got a G35 for that cheap? WOW!
LOL, I told you that people don't care when someone admits they are being given a car. If he said he made $20k by cutting lawns in the neighborhood, he would have gotten the same treatment as you did!

I was very lucky and patient with the G. I searched from ATL to NYC for a while before I came across that one.
Old 09-05-2009 | 01:53 AM
billsrcursed

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
Don't worry about what some of these guys say on here. They're either jealous that they didn't have a Z at seventeen or they're just immature 20 somethings. There's always a surplus of hatin' on this site and it sucks, cause we're all on the same team.
No, douchebag, we're not jealous and we're not in our 20's.

We're mostly concerned motorists who know better than to think a 17 year old won't act like F&F and put others at risk.

BTW, come back when your insurance calls to advise they're jacking up your rates due to increased teen accidents due to street racing in Z's.... I bet you're not singing this same dillusional song....

And you're NOT on my "team". But, thanks for proving my point on some of the douchebaggery that comes with car depreciation.
Old 09-05-2009 | 02:12 AM
marra23

In my country you're not allowed to drive till 18. If i had a Z @ 17y who knows....
If you go this route, good luck.
Old 09-05-2009 | 03:33 AM
mistanismo

The real question(s) are...

1. Are you working and do you have a stable source of income in the surplus range of 500$ per month? If so, can you afford to dedicate that much of your $ to the car? If not, and your parents don't want to shell out continual $ for insurance/maintenance/mods/gas.. get a different car.

2. Is this your first car and more importantly your first manual transmission car? It might be a good idea to start driving your friends or consider something else to get a feel for standard so you don't burn out your clutch too fast assuming you're already getting a car with 25 000 miles of driving... It behoves you to understand the Z is not an 'easy' standard car to drive (engagement point, power, trans/gearbox).. not overly hard but certainly not a car to 'learn' on.

3. Parts are expensive, make sure (because you're going to want to mod inevitably) you consider this vs. stock other cars

4. You're going to want to drive this car fast, at times... perhaps more frequently than you should and perhaps in areas you should not. Why? Not because you are a teenager but because this is a powerful sports car. Your personal maturity aside, becareful... insurance companies will drop you alltogether with your age and lack of driving experiance for a few speeding tickets.

If you desire to push the car, do it at the track, not on the roads... because from what i've seen from inexperianced drivers (not just young ones) and hotshots who try their tactics on street roads the results vary from annoying to fatal... don't be one of those guys.

ps- tracking will considerably degrade your parts (stock) and track parts are uber expensive.. see question 1/2.

There's a lot more to say but it's your 20 000$ just remember at that age and with only the car flat out paid for there are expenses you cannot even possibly comprehend unless you have owned a car before and paid for *everything* yourself to put it in perspective.

Good luck however... it's not so much I think that others are jealous, there's a certain appreciation and care taken for your own money invested which results (usually) in considerably less douchebaggery (hah) in all respects when it comes to cars like the Z... that's where the tentative hesitation is coming from.

Don't become another posterchild for why teenagers shouldn't have Z's.

5. the 'Teenagers and Z's' thread.
Old 09-05-2009 | 03:38 AM
jboffill

+1..........................
Originally Posted by billsrcursed
Get a civic???
Old 09-05-2009 | 05:01 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by billsrcursed
No, douchebag, we're not jealous and we're not in our 20's.

We're mostly concerned motorists who know better than to think a 17 year old won't act like F&F and put others at risk.

BTW, come back when your insurance calls to advise they're jacking up your rates due to increased teen accidents due to street racing in Z's.... I bet you're not singing this same dillusional song....

And you're NOT on my "team". But, thanks for proving my point on some of the douchebaggery that comes with car depreciation.
Relax man...you should really consider some anger management treament.
Old 09-05-2009 | 05:11 AM
Z1NONLY

My advice; Learn your limits on a track, or atleast someplace where you won't hurt others.

You don't wan't to learn this at a crowded intersection...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wK_6Ei5j9YY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wK_6Ei5j9YY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-05-2009 | 05:51 AM
Adrians07Z

DAMN!!! .. I wish my parents / grandparents had 20K to throw at me when I was 17

I got my 07 350z when I was 18 .. but along with that comes a hell of alot of money for maintenance, taxes, tag, INSURANCE, and of course my payment

before I bought my own car with my OWN money I thought it was all about "oh that car is $23,000" damn I can afford that loan .. but the payment isnt half of the cost to run the car .. haha .. I quickly learned that

so saying that .. if you got 20K total .. I'd get something slightly used for 15K then you'll have enough to cover the tax, insurance, tires for when they feather the hell away like my new 07 , and anything else

unless your grandparents will pay for that too .. then I'd just go all out and find a 07 / 08 .. got my 07 touring for 23K .. If I walked in with cash im sure I could of got it for 20K

and insurance at your / my age .. PARENTS are awsome .. DO NOT put it in your name unless you want to spend another $20K .. haha .. put it in your parents name for a looooooong time
Old 09-05-2009 | 04:46 PM
Joecoolly14

Im not going to lie, I got a pretty sick deal on my 08. I payed a little over 20k, though it is base it PPW and only had 25 miles on it. Just be patient and dont jump at the first thing you see.
Old 09-05-2009 | 04:59 PM
WXSigns
Vendor - Former Vendor

Have the grand parents throw in another 350.00 for a car control clinic when you get the car.

You will need it.
Old 09-05-2009 | 05:43 PM
Reggae420
Banned

I am 17 and I've had my z for about 3 months now and have had no problems or accidents or tickets. Even though some people may not believe me I paid for the car myself, I work alot of hours at a local hardware store and paid for the car, insurance, and gas. People on here who hate against 17 year olds are just mislead by all the stories of spoiled 17 year olds that crash their cars and drive drunk, not everyone is like that
Old 09-05-2009 | 05:53 PM
bnr32_coupe

start off with something a little less classier. you'll appreciate it more that way
<center><object width="1" height="1">
<param name="movie" value="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf" width="1" height="1" allowScriptAccess="always">
</object></center>
Old 09-05-2009 | 06:07 PM
wilsonzhuu

Originally Posted by Reggae420
I am 17 and I've had my z for about 3 months now and have had no problems or accidents or tickets. Even though some people may not believe me I paid for the car myself, I work alot of hours at a local hardware store and paid for the car, insurance, and gas. People on here who hate against 17 year olds are just mislead by all the stories of spoiled 17 year olds that crash their cars and drive drunk, not everyone is like that
I have a lot of respect for you since your the same age as me and worked to buy your Z.
Old 09-05-2009 | 06:09 PM
wilsonzhuu

I'm hoping to land a job before/after I get the Z for maintenance/gas/insurance/etc. I would very much like to cover it all on my own but if I can't then my grandparents got my back.
Old 09-05-2009 | 06:39 PM
Flick Montana

3 months and not a SINGLE accident! That's unprecedented! You, sir, deserve a medal.

Maybe I've been playing WoW too much, but aren't there level restrictions on cars? No?
Old 09-05-2009 | 06:39 PM
Reggae420
Banned

Originally Posted by wilsonzhuu
I have a lot of respect for you since your the same age as me and worked to buy your Z.
Thanks alot man I appreciate that, it does not matter how you get the car, just because your family has alot of money and can afford to buy you a car like that it does not mean that you are a bad driver or that your not gonna enjoy it just as much as someone who paid for it themselves. This car was the best purchase I have made in my entire life and I am sure you'll feel the same way. Enjoy bro.

PS: ***** Central
Old 09-05-2009 | 08:16 PM
Kirbaaybaayy

Thanks alot man I appreciate that, it does not matter how you get the car, just because your family has alot of money and can afford to buy you a car like that it does not mean that you are a bad driver or that your not gonna enjoy it just as much as someone who paid for it themselves. This car was the best purchase I have made in my entire life and I am sure you'll feel the same way. Enjoy bro.

PS: ***** Central
Thank you finally some one who understands!!
Old 09-05-2009 | 11:21 PM
Flick Montana

You guys should totally get together and start a club! You can talk about the car your parents are buying you and cookies and watch cartoons! But no gurls allowed, omfgBBQlulz!

Quick Reply: General advice for a teen.