2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What have you done for your Z today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Mingus02

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drvqz33
Did you clear coat them?

I only put on synthetic wax for now. I'd been debating between headlight covers and opti lens coating, but after experiencing sticker shock with both options I put off purchasing either. The only thing I've got that might work is clear lacquer meant for plastic model kits, but not too sure how that would hold up to the elements.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 PM
drvqz33

Originally Posted by Mingus02
I only put on synthetic wax for now. I'd been debating between headlight covers and opti lens coating, but after experiencing sticker shock with both options I put off purchasing either. The only thing I've got that might work is clear lacquer meant for plastic model kits, but not too sure how that would hold up to the elements.
Headlights came out great. Reason I ask is because they will haze fast if you don't seal them back up. Buy some spar urethane and mineral spirits. Mix the urethane with the mineral spirits (get a good consistency), take your headlights off, and apply a thin coat using a folded shop towel. All can be bought from home depot. I haven't had any hazing ever since and they look like shiny new headlights.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:47 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Headlights came out great. Reason I ask is because they will haze fast if you don't seal them back up. Buy some spar urethane and mineral spirits. Mix the urethane with the mineral spirits (get a good consistency), take your headlights off, and apply a thin coat using a folded shop towel. All can be bought from home depot. I haven't had any hazing ever since and they look like shiny new headlights.
How long since you did this? and car kept outside?
Old 04-11-2015, 11:00 PM
drvqz33

Originally Posted by F2CMaDMaXX
How long since you did this? and car kept outside?
About a year ago. Car is kept in the garage but see's a lot of sun when I park it at work. I'm positive even for a car that stays out all the time, the spar urethane will hold up very well.

You can keep applying coats too if one isn't enough. Just let the urethane have a very good time to dry.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Mingus02

Hey, thanks so much for this process, looks like I'll be able to protect the headlights for cheaper than I was expecting.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:45 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by dSpaceman

Just installed invidia gemini cat back, and quite frankly I'm a little disappointed. The sound was too quiet for my liking (needs to be broken in, but I don't think it'll get much louder). That being said, it is a very nice sound. Also regret getting the titanium rolled tips, it looks nothing like the pictures. Instead of a shiny metallic blue coloured tip I was hoping for, it looks like a 10 yo coloured it with a baby blue crayon. Most likely will have to get TP/HFC to amplify the volume, or consider reselling it.
Give it some time. If you have stock cats on, it will be quiet - almost stock sound. I have the TopSpeed test pipes mated to the Gemini. Sounds pretty good so far. I got the single wall Ti tips. I can barely see them when standing a ways back behind the car.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:27 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dSpaceman

Just installed invidia gemini cat back, and quite frankly I'm a little disappointed. The sound was too quiet for my liking (needs to be broken in, but I don't think it'll get much louder). That being said, it is a very nice sound. Also regret getting the titanium rolled tips, it looks nothing like the pictures. Instead of a shiny metallic blue coloured tip I was hoping for, it looks like a 10 yo coloured it with a baby blue crayon. Most likely will have to get TP/HFC to amplify the volume, or consider reselling it.
this is my concern... I want a nice deep growl but not obnoxiously loud like the fart cans.

I too have stock cats and will prob be keeping them for the foreseeable future, I may just go ahead and buy the ARK Grip after your opinion.. I certainly won't want to spend 850 for something too similar to whats I already have when I can spend few hundred more and get a louder deeper growl and IMO better looking from the rear.

Since you have stock cats.. mind posting a vid of how yours sounds? I know Smooth's sounds great since he has TPs.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zchad
this is my concern... I want a nice deep growl but not obnoxiously loud like the fart cans.

I too have stock cats and will prob be keeping them for the foreseeable future, I may just go ahead and buy the ARK Grip after your opinion.. I certainly won't want to spend 850 for something too similar to whats I already have when I can spend few hundred more and get a louder deeper growl and IMO better looking from the rear.

Since you have stock cats.. mind posting a vid of how yours sounds? I know Smooth's sounds great since he has TPs.
Don't get me wrong, I honestly think the price I paid was worth the sound. Quality of the sound, that is. Initially I ruled out all exhausts that were obnoxiously loud because I'm afraid of drone as I daily my Z. That was what led me to go with the Gemini. This one definitely sounds better than stock, giving it a deeper tone at lower rpms. Accelerating sounds absolutely amazing in the cabin, just enough roar inside without the droning. All I'm saying is, I wish it was louder. Idling is near silent at this point (again, have to wait a week or so for it to break in).

If you're looking for a loud, near obnoxious volume, you're going to need a cat delete regardless of which cat back exhaust you go with. If you love the stock sound but want it nicer, this Gemini is the way to go. Just my $0.02

EDIT: Here's a video I took immediately after install, you can hear the popping sounds near the end of revs (sounds even more amazing in person)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1fdVLav0RQ

Last edited by dSpaceman; 04-12-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Good to hear you got it running!!

And those key fobs, hot dayam, man, that's 12WHP right there!

i love some ricer horsepowers! lol
Old 04-12-2015, 02:42 PM
rizeld

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I fought for 4 hours to get just 1 lower translink off ;( sadly i cant get the castle nut off the BJ. Sears trip for tools tomorrow and now im just gunna order all the bushings. Cause this is a pain in the a$$
Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 PM
053z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubhopper
Adjusted the aerocatch latches on my CF hood to make it sit better. Added weather stripping on the CF hood as well.
what kind of hood and bumper do you have !! They're awesome. PM me if possible
Old 04-13-2015, 02:44 AM
g3rard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just purchased a new set of tires for summer use-- the NT555's. I chose it instead of the Hankook V12's because of the price I got from 4wo|nitto tire and besides I will only use these tires for street driving only.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Took the Z out to a local autoX event. $40 for 4 passes. It was good to get out and drive hard in a controlled environment, but each run only being ~37 seconds I don't think it was worth the money. I probably won't do another event unless it's super cheap.

It WAS great fun seeing Timmy in his daddy bought auto 2015 Camaro get lost as fuuuuuggggg though. It was my first autoX ever and I think I only missed 2 turns. This kid hit turn 1-5 and then was like: fk it I'm out.
Attached Thumbnails What have you done for your Z today?-20150412_141949.jpg  
Old 04-13-2015, 06:00 AM
BuildingDreams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the s-tune off and but the stock exhaust back
Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered a hydro drip carbon fiber dip kit for my interior. Hopefully it's here this weekend so I can get to work on it right away!
Old 04-13-2015, 09:56 AM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Did my steering wheel restitch project this weekend. Wanted to match the other orange/silver accents I put in with the shifter boot, ebrake and door armrests. SUPER tedious and took a while but I’m really happy with how it came out.

-Shawn
Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SPM350Z
Did my steering wheel restitch project this weekend. Wanted to match the other orange/silver accents I put in with the shifter boot, ebrake and door armrests. SUPER tedious and took a while but I’m really happy with how it came out.

-Shawn
very nice job! Did you find a DIY thread/video for this?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:42 AM
SPM350Z

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks Chad. I used these two threads on other car forums as guides. Mine was a little more complicated because of using 2 colors but same principles.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ing-wheel.html

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/vehic...titch-mod.html

Shawn
Old 04-13-2015, 12:39 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

That looks really good Shawn! I love the contrasting colors.

Props to tackling it on your own

Andy
Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What did I do today? Had the longest drive in over 6 months and ended up crossing 98,000 miles

Originally Posted by SPM350Z
-Shawn
Looks really good, DIY Ftw

Quick Reply: What have you done for your Z today?