Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Aftermarket Item - Insurance Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009 | 10:42 PM
ALO8

Question Aftermarket Item - Insurance Coverage

For those who have full coverage and have their aftermarket items covered such as wheels, stereo, body kit included...this ones for you guys:

Question:

If they take the pictures my car when I get full coverage and I chose not to get the aftermarket parts coverage, would the parts be covered in case of an accident? I know for a fact in case of theft they are not covered if I chose not to get aftermarket coverage but what if the aftermarket bumper is damaged in an accident? would they replace with the aftermarket one or is it not covered under full coverage?

Kinda confusing, I feel like I might as well get the aftermarket coverage because they are taking the pictures of my car with all my parts on there anyways. Sometimes I feel like not covering them because my deductible is $1000 and I dont know if they would give me close to what I paid for my wheels ($3000)
Old 11-18-2009 | 02:23 AM
duro78

In most cases in an accident they price out an after market bumper. In there terms after market means used not new. Some insurance companies more often then most replace damaged parts with so called after market parts usually these are commonly used parts like cosmetic. Imo it doesnt make sense to add the extra cost to your insurance. Think about it yes $3000 is a lot for a pair of wheels but in terms of added insurance its not cost effective. If you had a car that was worth 3k would you put full coverage on it no just liability(just enough to be legal). If something happens to the wheels take it as a loss.
Old 11-18-2009 | 05:07 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xxxlino
For those who have full coverage and have their aftermarket items covered such as wheels, stereo, body kit included...this ones for you guys:

Question:

If they take the pictures my car when I get full coverage and I chose not to get the aftermarket parts coverage, would the parts be covered in case of an accident? I know for a fact in case of theft they are not covered if I chose not to get aftermarket coverage but what if the aftermarket bumper is damaged in an accident? would they replace with the aftermarket one or is it not covered under full coverage?

Kinda confusing, I feel like I might as well get the aftermarket coverage because they are taking the pictures of my car with all my parts on there anyways. Sometimes I feel like not covering them because my deductible is $1000 and I dont know if they would give me close to what I paid for my wheels ($3000)
my guess would be probably not - but why not just ask the agent?
Old 11-18-2009 | 05:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by duro78
In most cases in an accident they price out an after market bumper. In there terms after market means used not new. Some insurance companies more often then most replace damaged parts with so called after market parts usually these are commonly used parts like cosmetic. Imo it doesnt make sense to add the extra cost to your insurance. Think about it yes $3000 is a lot for a pair of wheels but in terms of added insurance its not cost effective. If you had a car that was worth 3k would you put full coverage on it no just liability(just enough to be legal). If something happens to the wheels take it as a loss.
That's not necessarily true, it depends on how the policy is written in the first place. The policy can be written to only have OEM parts if that is what the client requests, with many carriers. I know when we did the insurance on my gf's then-new-to-her I35, we insisted that it had such a clause. Worked out well, after the car was involved in a bad accident that necessitated alot of work to the nose and bumper. All were replaced with genuine Infiniti parts.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-18-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2009 | 08:27 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
my guess would be probably not - but why not just ask the agent?
+1, your insurance agent will be the only one that will give you the correct answer to this
Old 11-18-2009 | 10:41 AM
ALO8

yes i will ask the agent, but i was just wondering if any of you ran into these situations as far as accidents.

I agree with duro78. I dont think Im going to get the added cost to cover them in case of theft just didnt know what happens in cases there is an accident. For example, my current insurance does not know i have aftermarket parts because when they took pics I was all stock. I never informed them I added these parts so if I were to get in an accident I dont know what would happen exactly in these cases