Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fuel Door problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 02:47 PM
jckolnturn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, the VDC is NOT on by default. May be there is a way to do it but mine isn't. Quite a number of ppl on the forum mentioned about power loss if you have VDC on....haven't proven this myself. Lastly, I'm in California where the sky barely rains. You, my friend in Graham is gonna need the VDC on at all times to save your @$$.
umm... VDC is on by default, i have the performance model as well. You don't 'lose power' by using it, it just cuts the power and/or applies the brakes if you start spinning or losing traction. Having tried numerous maneuvers with it on and off the car is much smoother with it off, no sudden cuts in power or anything. That being said i leave it on when i'm just driving around anyway because a few times in the rain i've been screwing around and it saved my car's ***.

Last edited by jckolnturn; 10-21-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Compustar alarm put on my car, and had it programmed to open the gas door with a push of a button on my new remote. Out of habit I hit the gas button a couple of times as I exit the car, but about 50% of the time it's still not open, so I just hit the button on my remote (sometimes a couple of times) and it opens. It's one of my favorite "other" things the alarm system does. BTW, the system also allows you to roll UP the windows with a touch of a button.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:30 PM
BSimp

Originally posted by JeffR116
Ummm...okay. VDC defaults on whenever you start your car. You have to push the button to turn it off. I dont know why you would want to drive with VDC off. It's not going to impact performance unless you're doing James Bond style moves, and if it does need to activate it saves your @$$ 90% of the time.
On my Performance model the VDC comes on by default. I like to turn it off, because I do like doing James Bond style moves. It seems to get the chicks.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:14 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by SweatyPalm
First of all, the VDC is NOT on by default. May be there is a way to do it but mine isn't. Quite a number of ppl on the forum mentioned about power loss if you have VDC on....

Like numerous others have said already, VDC is always on by default when you start the car. This is the way that most (if not all) traction-control-equipped production cars operate. VDC is always on by default.

I think what might be confusing you is that in most cars the VDC light on the dash only turns on when VDC is *disabled*. So you hit the VDC button and the light on your dash turns on. It's meant as a warning light to let you know that it's *disabled*.

As far as power loss, someone up above was correct. VDC only kicks in when you are losing traction. For example, when you try to spin the tires. VDC will cut power and try to prevent that. Under normal driving circumstances when you have full traction, VDC isn't doing anything or robbing you of any power.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Beaker02

As for the gas door, the first time the dealer "adjusted it". no effect. then they replaced the selinoid. Still sticks just like 80% of everybody elces.

As for the VDC, tore it out. Heck I know I paid another $1200 for it but it's just dead weight like those stupid antilock breaks. Got another 3HP when I tore the seat belts out too. Anybody know how to defeat the power steering?
Old 10-22-2003, 06:54 AM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Beaker02
As for the VDC, tore it out. Heck I know I paid another $1200 for it but it's just dead weight like those stupid antilock breaks. Got another 3HP when I tore the seat belts out too. Anybody know how to defeat the power steering?

lol
Old 10-22-2003, 07:30 AM
350zluvr

ROFL
Old 10-22-2003, 09:01 PM
Duflacci

Originally posted by 350zluvr
ROFL
hey I just ripped out my seats got 4 hp gain ...now I just use a bar stool.....just like old home
Old 10-23-2003, 02:42 AM
Beaker02

Default Please help- barstool mod

Having trouble with the barstool mod. Stool works great after cutting legs to adjust to the pedels. Had it sanded to loose weight as well. Was going to get paint shop involved next week but ran into problem with drifting. On hard turns the stool falls over. In another thread someone suggested useing the seatbelt to secure stool in place, but this is no longer an option in my case. Help!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:49 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Please help- barstool mod

Originally posted by Beaker02
Having trouble with the barstool mod. Stool works great after cutting legs to adjust to the pedels. Had it sanded to loose weight as well. Was going to get paint shop involved next week but ran into problem with drifting. On hard turns the stool falls over. In another thread someone suggested useing the seatbelt to secure stool in place, but this is no longer an option in my case. Help!
Surely you were smart enough to use the "much lighter" 3-leg stool versus the "WTF?, this thing is heavier than a boat anchor" 4-leg stool! Using a the 3-leg stool mod only requires some light weight Carbon Fiber Epoxy. As a bonus, you can also use it on race day to secure yourself to the stool! As we like to say at the track, "Butter me up Scotty".
Old 10-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Beaker02

What type of wood is everybody useing out there? Is anyone useing Balsa?

OK. Sorry everybody. Let's get back to fuel doors.

BTW- Thanks for the tip on the 3 legs. Cool.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:22 AM
SweatyPalm

Are you guys done with the stool talk? Geeezz...you ruined my thread. The most efficient way is to get your fat @$$ to the gym and start working out.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Beaker02

Dear Sweaty Palm,

I am so sorry for ruining your thread. I will replace it today with a new fuel door thread. I'm sure I speak for everyone here that we are very very sorry for useing humor. Please post NO HUMOR on the new fuel door thread.

As for my weight problem you've pointed out, what weight should I be at. I am 6' 160lbs. How much weight should I loose to be proportional? I have never worried about this before. Thank you for your help.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:12 AM
mcduck

Default Getting back on topic now...

This happened to me last night too. I believe its the long black plastic peice that is attached to the gas cap. Sometimes it will get caught on the slot where the gas cover latches on to causing the cover to seemingly stay shut when you push the open gas cover button..
BINGO! This happened to me once and I knew this was it immediately. When you seal the tank, you have to make sure the black plastic piece is nowhere near the latch. It can make it hang up pretty easily.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:58 PM
JeffR116

Yeah That's how i solved my fuel door problem. The black plastic connector for the gascap goes behind the metal piece near the bottom. This solved the problem.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:21 PM
ZPower

It stuck once on me. I just happened to wash the car next day and it hasn't sticked since. Try opening the door and spraying water at moderate pressure into the hinge of the fuel door while opening and closing it. That way you'll spray out any dirt that might be trapped in there.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:41 PM
danzz

JeffR116, I also make sure that I place the plastic connector for the gascap behind the metal clip. The fuel door has opened with one push of the button ever since I started securing the plastic connector this way.