Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
View Poll Results: The black 05 Enthusiast, or the red 06 Touring?
05 Black Enthusiast
26.00%
06 Red Touring
74.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Mulling over two Zs, can't decide which to buy. Pics and details inside.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
gilligan156

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mulling over two Zs, can't decide which to buy. Pics and details inside.

So, I've been driving this 05 Z for a week now and I'm about to buy it. Like, tomorrow. I still don't officially have it. Now, as of this afternoon, another contender is in the mix. Another dealer called me to tell me they just got a nice Z on a trade-in... so here's what's going on...

The original one:
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/350z1.jpg
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/350z2.jpg
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/350z3.jpg
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/350z4.jpg
2005 Enthusiast
65,000 miles, 6-speed
$14,700
buying from: Geoff Rogers(a used car lot)
BLACK! (A black Z is what I've always wanted, #1 color choice. Black on black on black.)
Extras: NISMO cold air intake, tinted windows(20 and 5)
Issues: No warranty. They've been fixing the damn passenger headlight for like two weeks now, the seal got broken on the passenger side and moisture got into the headlight, which killed the bulb and apparently ruined the HID ballast. Supposedly it's fixed and ready to be picked up, but the dealer still hasn't called me yet. Which is odd.

Here's the new one I just got a call about:

http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/06z1.jpg
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/06z2.jpg
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/06z3.jpg

edit, new pictures:
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/06z4.jpg
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/06z5.jpg
http://www.alphasigeb.com/chris/06z6.jpg

2006 Touring
16,000 miles, 6-speed
All the cool touring stuff; leather, heated seats, wheels, etc
06 stuff(headlights, taillights, etc)
$17,500
buying from: A legit Nissan dealer
Its............. red. -_- (I've never even considered red as a possibility, only black and blue, but i could get used to it, I guess.)
Extras: not quite as darkly tinted windows. Looks like 35 and 20.
Issues: None, it has a factory warranty on it still.

Money is somewhat of a concern but satisfaction is paramount.

Alright so... thoughts, comments? Greatly appreciated!! Need to make a decision ASAP!

Thanks!

edit also: the 06 is FLAWLESS. *flawless*. The 05's front bumper needs to be repainted; it has a little dent and looks like it was poorly painted once already. There's a scuff near the rear drivers wheel well like they brushed against a trash can or something.

Last edited by gilligan156; 12-29-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 PM
iceman21_23

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesn't the 06 have a rev-up motor? if so you would need to check to see if the motor is burning oil, yes it has the 06 lights but i would chose the 05' since its the color you want and you'll be happy with it
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
gilligan156

I'm not sure if it has the RevUp; I'm brand-new to the Z. I could tell you whatever you want about the Ford Probe or Mazda MX-6, I've had those for 6 years, but I'm new to the Z and the Z community.

I really appreciate the input, guys.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 PM
bardabe

if i was able to get my clean tittle 07 out the dealer for 18.6K out the door, you can pull that 06 for the price of the price of the 05, if not i would keep shopping.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 PM
mclovin.too

The 06 could have oil consumption issues as there is TSB for it. It does have the REV UP VQ in it as it is a 06 MT.

It is a risk to get an 06 MT IMO. But the good news, it is most likely still under warranty.

For 20K you can get a 07-08 with the HR.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:00 AM
gilligan156

The HR?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:31 AM
LLL'sZ

Originally Posted by gilligan156
The HR?
Whoa nelly, put your wallet away NOW and research the "Z" or you will be sorry.......
I am not a fan of red on the "Z" it doesn't ...pop..per say it's dull. Black or silver/grey are my fav's. Then white, never red, the cops hate red more than i do.

on the Red one, i thought the Touring had the Brembos...i don't see Brembos?

Last edited by LLL'sZ; 12-29-2009 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:51 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Grand Touring has Brembos. The Touring has the standard brakes.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Go with the black if it's your #1 color choice. You're obviously not crazy about red and you are the one who has to drive it. Just make sure whichever you choose is reliable, check the CarFax.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 AM
Boogshag

Going with the 05 will:

1. Give you the color you want
2. Let you sleep at night (with no oil consumption issues)
3. Have some extra money in your wallet

The 05 anniversary edition models also have the rev up engine, so avoid that if you want to avoid the chance of a consuming engine. Dont let all this talk scare you away from rev up motors though, because not all of them consume oil. Its just a fraction of them.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Mikie13

I would agree that you should do a bit more researching...06s have the *potential* for oil consumption issues. Not definite or guaranteed, but much higher chance given the year.

However, it sounds already like the 05 may be a little beat up if the front needs some work like that so I perhaps would be a little wary of that.

Personally, I would keep shopping around til you find EXACTLY what you want. Don't settle for Red if you don't really feel red is for you. But don't settle for that black one just cause its the first one you saw and got excited about. But biggest thing, I would keep shopping til you figure out what differences are between Rev-Up, VQ35DE, VQ35HR, HR, etc...do your homework BEFORE you go to class
Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 AM
BLK Z33

Did you see the red Z in person? If not, I suggest you look at it and drive it, you might change your mind on how you feel about red cars. Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Boogshag

Originally Posted by BLK Z33
Did you see the red Z in person? If not, I suggest you look at it and drive it, you might change your mind on how you feel about red cars. Good luck with your choice.
my 06 redline Z is sweeeeeet!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 AM
dhays

I agree that you should wait and learn more before committing to a car. The Z is great, but there are things that you should know.

- The Revup engine (like in the '06) has the potential for oil consumption issues. However, if it does, Nissan will replace the engine.
- The 'HR' is the engine in the Z for 2007 and 2008. It is stronger than prior Z engines.
- The tint on the 05 is probably not legal (although who knows in MO?) but is a hazard for night driving.

Drive both. Do some research. Definitely don't buy that '05 right now. It is the middle of winter so I doubt they will move them quickly. Also, given where you are at, this time of year you should be able to get that '06 for a LOT less than they are asking.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 AM
F34RL355
Banned

id do some more research and find an HR that fits your budget
Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 AM
importdemon5

You'll have more luck with the red z bro. I have an 04 with 66k on it and it's not sounding so hot anymore. If I were you I would get the red z for $5k more, you could prob get it for less, the fact that it also has 16K miles on it and it is flawless is another plus. It also has nicer wheels, looks like a rev-up and has the nicer/brighter headlights. Stick with the red one, you can always save up $100 for darker tint and another $300 for intake. It will be more worth it to have a car that hasn't gone through the best miles of it's life.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:29 AM
ckthepilot

I live in the STL area and there are more Zs available than just those two you listed. Have you tried Craigslist?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 AM
gilligan156

Originally Posted by LLL'sZ
Whoa nelly, put your wallet away NOW and research the "Z" or you will be sorry.......
HR as in the engine code, okay. Wasn't familiar with the acronym, I was thinking harmonic resonance balancer for some reason.

Originally Posted by AdvanZ33
Go with the black if it's your #1 color choice. You're obviously not crazy about red and you are the one who has to drive it. Just make sure whichever you choose is reliable, check the CarFax.
They both have clean CarFaxes.

Originally Posted by BLK Z33
I'm about to go look at and test drive it now. I looked at it last night(all of those pictures are from my phone), but didn't get to actually get in it or drive it. So I'll be doing that in about ten minutes now, and I'll also find out exactly what my price is on it. Appare ntly the real Nissan dealer gives employees of my company an extra discount because we buy our fleet vehicles from Nissan. So I'll find out I guess.

Originally Posted by importdemon5
You'll have more luck with the red z bro. I have an 04 with 66k on it and it's not sounding so hot anymore. If I were you I would get the red z for $5k more, you could prob get it for less, the fact that it also has 16K miles on it and it is flawless is another plus. It also has nicer wheels, looks like a rev-up and has the nicer/brighter headlights. Stick with the red one, you can always save up $100 for darker tint and another $300 for intake. It will be more worth it to have a car that hasn't gone through the best miles of it's life.
I kinda feel the same way, but that price tag is pushing my limits. I'm trying to decide if the pros(mileage, touring, condition) and worth the cons(price, color, revup).

Originally Posted by ckthepilot
I live in the STL area and there are more Zs available than just those two you listed. Have you tried Craigslist?
Yeah, that's actually how I found the black one. Went to their lot looking for a different Z and found the black one there also. I've been kinda trying to find one that meets my needs exactly for well over a year now, and now that I can actually, realistically, and comfortable afford one, I want it. Every time I find one I like, it has an immediate flaw that ruins it for me. Like these:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/1524265995.html
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/1520397578.html

OMG perfect right? Low mileage, black, touring? Ohhhhhh it's an automatic. Fail. Will NOT buy an automatic, period.

How about this:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1528950713.html

Looks perfect, black, touring(with base/enthusiast wheels?)... but it's an 03, so I'm begging for transmission issues anyway, and the mileage is absurd. So even for $8900, no.

Automatic is usually the problem but other problems include convertible(no thanks), ridiculous mileage, ridiculous price tag, color, and damage("oh it's fine except for this _______ but you can't even see it if you're on this side of the car").

Let me also say I don't have any plans of racing this car out or anything. I'd like to do breathing mods, intake and a tasteful exhaust, but that's about it. I'm not going to be tracking it, or drifting it. It's also not going to be my daily driver, I'm keeping one of my Probes for that.

I'll check back in after I get back from looking at the red one.

Thanks guys!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 AM
bret f

Originally Posted by gilligan156
I'm not sure if it has the RevUp; I'm brand-new to the Z. I could tell you whatever you want about the Ford Probe or Mazda MX-6, I've had those for 6 years, but I'm new to the Z and the Z community.

I really appreciate the input, guys.
My beater is a '93 MX-6 (LS V6)
its kind of quick, even though it now has bald front tires and a burned up clutch lol
Old 12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

The HR is like VTEC, find a HR.

Quick Reply: Mulling over two Zs, can't decide which to buy. Pics and details inside.