Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Put deposit on salvage Z; advice pls before i pay rest of $.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boogshag
Thats a great deal. Nothing wrong with it huh?
Needed A/C belt, allignment and front pads. $300. Body and paint is cherry.

There's a guy down the way from where I used to work who buys low mileage wrecks. Only high end. He clucks off last years models with 500 miles for <$20000. Maybe $19000 or so. That was with the 350's, I'm not sure what he wants for 370Zs.

The point is, you can get a clean title car without any hassle for about what it'll cost to get that hunk of junk back together. You dont know what you're doing. It'll be an expensive unfinished project taking up space, or it'll cost you more in the end...or both.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Boogshag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSQ
Needed A/C belt, allignment and front pads. $300. Body and paint is cherry.

There's a guy down the way from where I used to work who buys low mileage wrecks. Only high end. He clucks off last years models with 500 miles for <$20000. Maybe $19000 or so. That was with the 350's, I'm not sure what he wants for 370Zs.

The point is, you can get a clean title car without any hassle for about what it'll cost to get that hunk of junk back together. You dont know what you're doing. It'll be an expensive unfinished project taking up space, or it'll cost you more in the end...or both.
It completely depends on how bad the wreck is, how talented you are, and if you have the resources and can find the parts to fix it. Successfully repairing a wreck can save thousands of dollars, but not anyone can just decide they want to fix up a car and do it successfully...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
BlueSQ

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boogshag
It completely depends on how bad the wreck is, how talented you are, and if you have the resources and can find the parts to fix it. Successfully repairing a wreck can save thousands of dollars, but not anyone can just decide they want to fix up a car and do it successfully...
Agreed.

I don't think OP's level of talent is particularly high in this arena from what he's said.

OP, I wouldn't get on the road with you in your DIY salvage. Tackling this kind of a project is a major hazard if this is the first car you've rebuilt. If you're gonna share the road w/ us, you must make sure that car is up to proper spec.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Boogshag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueSQ
Agreed.

I don't think OP's level of talent is particularly high in this arena from what he's said.

OP, I wouldn't get on the road with you in your DIY salvage. Tackling this kind of a project is a major hazard if this is the first car you've rebuilt. If you're gonna share the road w/ us, you must make sure that car is up to proper spec.
I think youre right. Looking back at the OPs first post, he says he's an average DIYer, not a mech or good with paint. So he would basically have to outsource the whole job. Probably wont pay off in the end.