Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I just bought my Z, but I am very disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Yan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of your opinions. I feel better now.

The salesperson told me that I should never abuse the engine during the break-in period. From some previous posts, you guys suggested me to step on the gas to the floor. will it hurt the engine?
The funny thing is that after I bought my z directly from the manager, next day he quited his job.
Thank you
Yan
Old 10-21-2003, 04:49 PM
KONVERTER

my cars break in period was drivin as hard as i could...

they say that you should break in the car how you plan on driving it...
Old 10-21-2003, 05:26 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by mooch
Yan, Nissan suggests keeping rpms below 4000 during breakin. I believe Nissan also recommends a breakin period of 1200 miles. Some may disagree with those recommendations but I prefer to play it safe. If your english is good enough to understand the owners manual you should read through it.
Yan, one thing hasn't been explained to you. The Z's throttle is not a mechanical linkage, its an electronic throttle and doesn't just jump off a full stop unless you floor it. Many other cars have a quick response with barely any throttle at all. If you push only 20% of the Z's throttle it will give you 20% acceleration. It feels odd and slow at first, but when you floor it, watch out! I have a 5AT, too. It just takes a while to get used to and it will seem normal quickly.

Speaking of quickly, your car's breakin period is no revving over 4000rpm until 1200 miles. This is a guideline to avoid putting too much strain on new drivelines and gives them a chance to wearin properly. I started revving over 4000 at about 600 miles and gradually went higher as the car brokein.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing to do during breakin is to vary your speed ALL the time, never spend much time at the same speed, go faster or slower, it will do fine with either.

Good luck and enjoy your car. Boomer
Old 10-21-2003, 06:02 PM
jreiter

Default Re: South Park

Hey, c'mon folks, give the guy a break. We should assume this is not a joke. Seriously, if this is a serious post (and I believe it is) then here we have a guy with a problem with his expensive new car and he's honestly worried about it. He's turning to us on this forum for help! Then he gets these people here calling him a troll *and* saying how bad his English is. Geez, that's harsh!

'Richard 350z', I know you are a member over on 350zmotoring; a site which promotes friendliness and acts as a sort of safe-haven from this site, right? Let's try and extend that same friendliness to the other forums, okay? No need to keep calling this guy a fake. Can't we just all get along?
Old 10-21-2003, 06:29 PM
yooda

I don't know if this is a troll or not, but my feeling is he is not. My parents were immigrants to this country too and I'll tell you some of the crap the people pulled on them when I was little... Granted, there are many kind people, but there is much scum too.

Yan, I'd suggest you drive your Z to another dealer. Have their mechanic check over your car completely and write up anything that is broken and how much it will cost to fix. If you don't feel comfortable with that dealer, then drive to another, and another.

Your car is brand new, there should be nothing wrong with it. If the car seems slow and the engine sounds funny, you could have major problems down the road.

Also keep in mind that Nissan North America will be sending you a customer survey that the dealer will take very seriously. Fill it out as accurately as you can and attach a typed out letter of your experiences with that dealer. Specifically mention the names of all the sales people and mechanics that you dealt with and whether they were helpful or not.

I hope this helps. Let us know what happens
Old 10-21-2003, 06:33 PM
Dissolved

Default Re: Re: South Park

Originally posted by jreiter

'Richard 350z', I know you are a member over on 350zmotoring; a site which promotes friendliness and acts as a sort of safe-haven from this site, right? Let's try and extend that same friendliness to the other forums, okay? No need to keep calling this guy a fake. Can't we just all get along?
Don't bother. Richard think's he's funny.

Yan, if you feel the car isnt 100% up to par, take it back to your dealer. If they give you trouble, call Nissan North America. Open up a case number and see what they can do. If nothing can be done, go back to your dealer and tell him you're going to go to the newspapers. YOU'RE the one who paid $30k for this car. The ***** in your court. All else fails get a lawyer.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:07 PM
jor8888

Sounds like someone took a spin for 50 miles and screwed up the car a little bit. All the problem u said shouldnt have happen to a new car at all.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 PM
SweatyPalm

Don't scare the sh*t of him........he's probably not used to hearing the engine tune and overeacted a bit.
Yan, send your car to a different dealer for check up.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:44 PM
travs_z

Damn, reading this reminds me of why I RARELY post anything here anymore!

First off, Yan, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

After owning my Z for 8 months, I BELIEVE you about the interior parts breaking. Let's see, my cloth seats starting coming apart around 3000 miles (just replaced), window grease marks, squeeking windows at 5500 miles, plastic trim around driver window/lock controls popped loose just the other day! IMO, the Z has a good looking albeit poorly fitting interior. My old Prelude's interior quality was much more solid. Yan, you are not the only person having these problems.

Tell the dealer to fix this stuff or call Nissan North America, and they will see that it gets fixed. I have been lucky, since my service department here is unbelievably prompt and they go WAY out of their way to make sure my Z is fixed.

Before everyone starts calling me a troll or Z hater, I LOVE MY Z!!!! Eventually, after all of my interior has been replaced under warranty, I know the car will be perfect.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Beaker02

Here's my take if anybody cares;
The Z is a purebred.
Purebreds have genetic defects by nature.
In the Z's case, 2 major factors contribute.
1) It's a GRRRRRRRRREAT sportscar at a GRRRRRRRRREAT pricepoint, something has to give.
2) It's an unconventional car. It doesn't conform to the tried and true cookie cutter boxes with wheels that every other mass produced ride falls into so once again....somthings have to give.
After all things considered, after excepting my streaking windows, gas cap door, and a couple of other relitively small irritants,
I LOVE MY CAR.
but then i've never had tires feather, my clutch replaced, or my nav door, mirror, etc. break off in my hands.
I'm at 13K miles, i've got along road to go, we'll see.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:12 AM
iris

Default Re: Re: South Park

Originally posted by jreiter
'Richard 350z', I know you are a member over on 350zmotoring; a site which promotes friendliness and acts as a sort of safe-haven from this site, right? Let's try and extend that same friendliness to the other forums, okay? No need to keep calling this guy a fake.
Seriously. Why keep calling this forum the "evil board" when you apparently are part of the problem it's so "evil" and "unfriendly"? So what if it turns out to be fake (which I don't think it is)?

Anyway, Yan, 1200 miles and under 4000 rpms for break in. Not everybody believes in break-in rules (and those are the people who floor it). Depends on what you want to do - I followed the guidelines.

Like others said, if you have serious worries, bring it to another dealer.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Blue Liquid

Yan, what about the 'bleached seat'? Did you spill something onto the seat, or was it like this the next morning when you looked at it in the light of day?
Old 10-22-2003, 07:49 PM
longbowe

Originally posted by Yan
I understood those were not major problems, but somehow it changed my feelings about nissan.

I know that Nissan 350z is a good car, I am just having a bad luck . That is it.
These aren't major problems, as you say, and they aren't Nisan's fault. However, these are big issues with regard to your particular dealership. It's unfortunate that they were able to sucker you into buying something that you didn't inspect, but that's honestly your fault, too. Call it a lesson well learned. In the mean time, it seems your dealer is willing to work with you to resolve the problems. As long as you are courteous but firm, they will probably help you out. Make them earn the money you gave them.

Yah, you're not having bad luck. You just weren't quite ready to buy a car (of any type) yet. Learn the lessons here, work to make sure that you can rectify the things that are rectifiable, and live to drive your Z another day!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:19 AM
IMAZLPR

well the car lags b/c it's an automatic, lol how can you expect an automatic to accelerate fast?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:17 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by IMAZLPR
well the car lags b/c it's an automatic, lol how can you expect an automatic to accelerate fast?
i think everyone should ignore this statement so there is not another flamefest in here. yes it was an ignorant statement. lets just leave it at that, k?
Old 10-23-2003, 06:25 PM
marhot

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
i think everyone should ignore this statement so there is not another flamefest in here. yes it was an ignorant statement. lets just leave it at that, k?

Must control myself...
Must control myself...
Must control myself...