Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

FX45 Engine in 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Jetpilot718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good reason for a swap:

BMW M3 GTR = 3-series body + M5 8-cylinder. Any questions?

Class dismissed.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:43 AM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Ever heard of an IS430? They did an engine swap and the thing was flying to 60 in 4.5 seconds. I wouldn't really do it to my Z because I really do love my Z the way it is but was hoping someone here was crazy enough to try. Our V6 is about cashed out when it comes to NA mods. But that 4.5L V8 can probably see HUGE gains from CAI+Exhauset+headers+etc.....
Old 10-22-2003, 11:47 AM
EnthuZiast

sorry, but WTF would you want a v8 in a z for? Zs have always had 6cyl's and it should stay that way.
Wow what a brilliant point! You hear that guys ZS have always had 6 cyls. Next time before I post let me ask you about Z heritage 101 so I know how things "should stay."

Last edited by EnthuZiast; 10-22-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:58 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enthu, don't pay attention to those comments. Yours is a totally valid question and a great point. I would not do this to my Z either (unless the engine died or something), but would LOVE to see one.

Some people around here are blowing their engines up, etc... hey, landing that V8 in there is doable...
Old 10-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Dissident

I'd much rather drop a V8 in a miata, tho.. That monster Miata with the supercharged V8 is pretty sick from what I hear....

And the comment about it being about the challenge is spot on, like putting in a PC or Nav; you can do something for the same price as an option but with more features, or do something not available from the factory. Cars have always come with lousy stereos, which is all the more reason to swap that out. Engine is just one more (slightly more complicated) step up from there...
Old 10-22-2003, 12:15 PM
EnthuZiast

slaponte

Thats exactly how I feel. Im not taking a shot at Z heritage and for now Im leaving my car stock because I am very happy with the performance.

Yeah........the ultimate NA Mod.....New engine.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Dude, no need to be rude about it. Some people just want to try something different. If I remember correctly, isn't putting a Chevy small block a VERY popular thing to do with some of the old 240 and 260Zs?

Just because it's not what you would do doesn't make it stupid.
Yea! Let's put an American engine in a Japanese car! What are you driving after that? What would you call it? These things are most likely works of trailer trash who have had their 240 growing grass around it for years. I saw a video with a black 240. It had a supercharged LT1 under the hood. Waste of a classic car

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
Wow what a brilliant point! You hear that guys ZS have always had 6 cyls. Next time before I post let me ask you about Z heritage 101 so I know how things "should stay."
No problem. Glad to help you son.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:03 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Glad to see you're so open-minded.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:42 PM
EnthuZiast

No problem. Glad to help you son.
Figured you were an older gentleman. Although I am sure you have experienced more than I in my bleak 21 yrs of existence there is no need to talk to me like I am not a peer. I treat you with the same respect even if you are a little less open to new ideas and a little confused on "new" technology and the reason our generation with our need to improve and instant gradification attitude acts the way it does. Don't mean to generalize but you remind me of the 50+ guys at the track who roll their eyes at us just because we do things different.
Oh well maybe Ill be the same way in 30 yrs
Old 10-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by slaponte
There are some good valid resons for some swaps. A small block V8 on an RX7 became a common swap to the point there was a comercial kit available. Why? Rebuilding the RX engine was too expensive, while small block Chevys are dime a dozen and parts are cheap.

LOL. So that's considered a valid reason? Because the chevy block was cheaper than OEM?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:50 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EnthuZiast, your avatar reminds me of the villain in Roger Rabbit.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Dissolved

Figured you were an older gentleman. Although I am sure you have experienced more than I in my bleak 21 yrs of existence there is no need to talk to me like I am not a peer. I treat you with the same respect even if you are a little less open to new ideas and a little confused on "new" technology and the reason our generation with our need to improve and instant gradification attitude acts the way it does. Don't mean to generalize but you remind me of the 50+ guys at the track who roll their eyes at us just because we do things different.
Oh well maybe Ill be the same way in 30 yrs
I'm an "old" 23 years of age. I've also been around Zs since I was 2 years old. Sounds like those 50+ year old guys at your track have something to laugh about though. And where did this argument about "new technology" come in?????
Old 10-22-2003, 02:16 PM
slaponte

Enthu, waste of bandwith... seems Pure Tremble hates more than riced Zs after all.

No, Pure, what we should do is junk all those older cars and turn them to rust instead of giving them a little more life with an engine swap, just to keep the "purity of the RX/Z race".

Besides racing (bigger blocks, etc), $$$ have to do with most engine swaps. That, and the challenge some people find.

As another posibility, this V6 from our Zs would go well with some other cars out there, no?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
slaponte

Oh, and My Age = both of you added up... so don't go picking on old folks, "son"... ;-)
Old 10-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Dissolved

No, Pure, what we should do is junk all those older cars and turn them to rust instead of giving them a little more life with an engine swap, just to keep the "purity of the RX/Z race".

Besides racing (bigger blocks, etc), $$$ have to do with most engine swaps. That, and the challenge some people find.

Sorry. I make enough money and if I were to have an old FB or FC in my possession, you sure as hell can bet it would be replaced with the stock block or an fd motor if it would fit.

If you think you need a bigger block to race and win, you havent been drag racing enough.

As another posibility, this V6 from our Zs would go well with some other cars out there, no?

The V6s in our Zs are already in a few other cars. It's a mass produced motor, no?
It's not a VG30DETT, which would be a different story
Old 10-22-2003, 03:20 PM
EnthuZiast

Pure:
I figured you to be old because you called me son....I should have figured you were just inbred. It all makes sense now...that explains the lack of extended vocabulary and ability to argue for the sake of pissing people off.
As far as how new technology came up; it is a quite a simple comparison but let me build a bridge for ya "son." The older Zs are considered just that....old technology....the engine swap is not only something still being mastered by TODAYS top mechanics but usually involves newer engine and parts. You guessed it "new technology." Are things a little clearer now? Don't mean to be rough on you but your digging your own grave here. I think its better to just not post until you think a little harder about what you are going to type.
Thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Dissolved

The older Zs are considered just that....old technology....the engine swap is not only something still being mastered by TODAYS top mechanics but usually involves newer engine and parts. You guessed it "new technology."
Thanks
lmao todays top mechanics. What in the world are you rambling about? Did you read this out of Auto Mechanics 101? Have you ever done a motor swap or know what's involved? Better yet, have you ever tuned an engine on a dyno?

Hey, let us know when you get an SUV motor in your Z . Take some pics

Thanks for the laughs..
Old 10-22-2003, 03:31 PM
EnthuZiast

Your a cocky one huh? Please school me on how to swap a motor pure. Im sure your expertise are vast in this field. What Im rambling about is the difference between an amature who swaps an engine and then watches the car fall apart within a years and master mechanics who do it for a living. I.E. 3.4L swaps for mid-engine Porsche Boxsters. But Im sure you can do that swap too...and then of course give us the results after you tune it on the dyno.
You are a little slow on the uptake huh? Im suprised you have the opposable digits to even type these lame responses.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:43 PM
Yielar

I know how your feeling Pure Tremble, EnthuZiast has a nak for getting under peoples skin by his ignorant remarks. He tried to belittle me for being Canadian in a past post if you can believe it! Anyways I thought I would mention an accident involving a 240 with a 350 small block a few years back. Upon impact the motor was thrown through the air 200 feet killing an innocent driver in the opposite lane. I know that this is a freak accident but one must make sure the modifications are indeed strong enough to handle such a larger motor. I don't exactly like the idea of guys like EnthuZiast who are 21 and think they know everything, doing their own motor swap without some extensive schooling.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:55 PM
EnthuZiast

What Im rambling about is the difference between an amature who swaps an engine and then watches the car fall apart within a years and master mechanics who do it for a living. I.E. 3.4L swaps for mid-engine Porsche Boxsters. But Im sure you can do that swap too...and then of course give us the results after you tune it on the dyno.
Yielar you and Pure should get along real well since neither of you read threads. Pure is the one attacking people and laughing at their responses starting with my original post.
And if you read my last response you would realise that I do NOT think swaps should be handled by anyone but master mechanics. Go ahead now....try and read the quote...thats right nice and slow.
Sorry you are still soar over some harmless humoring that many of us gave you about Canada but see if you can actually read the whole thread through before you make a completely ignorant and uneducated post like the one you just made. I do NOT think I know everything and do not even change my own oil let alone have the expertise to swap a motor.
Is any of this sinking in.....

Quick Reply: FX45 Engine in 350Z?