Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

FX45 Engine in 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 04:53 PM
PoorCollegeKid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
Yea! Let's put an American engine in a Japanese car! What are you driving after that? What would you call it?
I'm just kinda wondering why what you would call something matters? It's their car, let them do what they want with it without giving them all sorts of hell for trying to make their car into what they want it to be. A lot of people are more in to making their car into what they want it to be than they are into keeping their car in classic condition just for the sake of tradition. EnthuZiast was just asking a question, and here come quite a few people in here to bash his idea and belittle him because he's not sticking to the vaunted "Z tradition". Have an open mind! Who really cares what he wants to do to his car? It's his car, his money, his decision. He never even said that he was going to go out, find an engine, and do the swap, he just wanted to know if it was possible. The thread topic clearly stated his idea, and if you didn't have a valuable, useful contribution, then why even post in the first place?

Back on topic... Does the Q45's engine have the same cams as the VK in the FX45? Usually SUVs are tuned for more low and mid range response while cars are tuned for more mid and high range response, so Nissan may have slipped in different sets of cams in the VK45s in both these cars. They may have just put the exact same engine in both, I'm not too sure on this as I haven't really looked in to any Infinitis (besides the G35s, anyway ).
Old 10-22-2003, 05:08 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

wow! that was one of the few usefull posts in this whole threads. I did not know that.
I am very easy to get along with but do not stay idle when people insult me for no reason. I dont care if Pure has an opinion I just went off on him because he felt that he had to express it like a true d!ck.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:12 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

COOL IT GUYS, before I close the thread down.

Victor
Old 10-22-2003, 05:22 PM
zz-notop

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EnthuZiast
[B]Figured you were an older gentleman. Don't mean to generalize but you remind me of the 50+ guys at the track who roll their eyes at us just because we do things different.

I'm going to be 58 in a couple of days and I think a 4.5l in the Z would be something to see. In fact a friend and I wre talking today about a rumor of just that from Infinit. A G35 copupe with the 4.5. Guess that would make it a G45, eh? He's a young kid in his late 40's so I guess that kind of talk is to be expected. Like I tell my wife "I may grow old, but I'll never grow up"
Old 10-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by EnthuZiast
. I do NOT think I know everything and do not even change my own oil
Old 10-22-2003, 05:48 PM
FLY BY Z

Pure tremble I have been racing my whole life and have grown up around cars. I know without a doubt simply by the statements you make that I know, maybe not more than every person here, about 400 percent more than you do about the automotive industry, racing, etc.

And I do not change my own oil either. Why would I want to do a simple, redundant brainless job by myself? I pay 13 dollars to have someone lift the car, get oil on themselves and sweat a little outside while I wait.

Please stop offending people. Usually, when you think every other person is wrong, it is not every other person that is wrong.

You are you and others are who they are. Please respect others opinions and ideas as you would like us to repect yours.

You do not sound intelligent or convincing. You sound like a troll.

Last edited by FLY BY Z; 10-22-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:04 PM
erock

There's a guy on acura-cl.com that upgraded his 3.2L to a MDX 3.5L..... I don't think it was a full on swap, I think it was just the bottom end or something like that..... He goes by TypeR and posts in our racing forum once and awhile...... His car is a beast, and so far no problems......

Anyway, my point is that it would be cool to see what would happen if someone did a similar swap on our cars......
Old 10-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Dissident

[i]

Hey, let us know when you get an SUV motor in your Z . Take some pics

Thanks for the laughs.. [/B]
Hey, I hate to break it to ya.. But we've all got SUV motors in our Zs... The FX35 has the same engine. We've also all got economy car motors (Altima)

Yeah, a V8 would not make the Z a better sports car, but it sure would make a sick ride. Why don't people understand that everyone buys a car for aslightly different reason.

BTW, the 240SX had a truck engine. That 2.4L was the same they put in a few other Nissans, and that ****er was bullet-proof, completely reliable, nice & torquey for a 4, and anyone who doesn't think that was a sports car never saw one hang with a 300zx turn for turn....
Old 10-22-2003, 10:00 PM
EnthuZiast

Thanks for sticking up for me guys. I hope you know Im not trying to start fights and like that we are a community of enthuziasts; but that guy was just plain pissing me off.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
mrZeee

dissident is right...3.5 V-6 is in just about every car nissan makes..the idea of 4.5 V-8 (which is in Q45 as well, 340 hp & 333 lbs torque) is an old school way of making same car go a lot faster
with a couple more cylinders ... and also not so old school, car companys today do this quite often from mustangs to lexus ...your right, a home built 4.5 stuffed in a Z may not handle as well, but i bet it would go is straight line real fast
Old 10-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by EnthuZiast

Is any of this sinking in.....
I just took 10 mins reading thru this whole thread... pretty funny

I think the "suggestion" of idea you made is great. In Germany the IS430 is available. A supercharged 4.3 liter GS430 motor in the IS300. That thing kick *** and compete with the big boys.

Also for drag racing. HKS and Bullish racing have been using the Tundra block/GS400 head for 6 sec. quater mile slips. People would ask.. why would you change out supra motor that can make 1,000 whp. The reason is you can use V8 motor to make 1600 whp on low boost.

So there you go. Two Non Z example of how other manufacture and tuners use the swap of V8 motor into Superior V6 cars.

Top Secret have also been doing it for years. Have anyone heard of them? 3SGTE motor into MKIV. VQ into R34. RB25DETT into 350z. All kind of Crazy stuff. Why not, if the capability is there. Why not try it. I think the FX45 or the M45 would be some choices.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by erock
There's a guy on acura-cl.com that upgraded his 3.2L to a MDX 3.5L..... I don't think it was a full on swap, I think it was just the bottom end or something like that..... He goes by TypeR and posts in our racing forum once and awhile...... His car is a beast, and so far no problems......
That's funny, I think I talked to him today. He go by the name of Steve? Made a 13.7 sec run last time. With just the block and intake and exhaust and header. Which is very impressive for a fwd car that weights tons.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Jeff@Evolution

Originally posted by mrZeee
and also not so old school, car companys today do this quite often from mustangs to lexus ...your right, a home built 4.5 stuffed in a Z may not handle as well, but i bet it would go is straight line real fast
A perfect example is here.

Audi S4. It went from a very power ready potent V6 bi turbo to a NA V8 beast. And the new RS4 is just a monster. Put this imagination into our topic here. And let it sink in. Imagine a PE TT kit on a V8 4.5 liter motor.

But if someone can make this happend. A whole generation of hybrids are laying around.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:35 PM
EnthuZiast

I would love to see one of you guys give this a shot. Alot of tuners are going to be doing turbos but I would love to see just one tuner try for something like this. That would spark some SERIOUS interest IMO. Im glad you guys see what Im saying PURE was making it sound like my idea was an imposibility.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:05 AM
BigBadBuford

I also think this would be a pretty neat swap. Considering the FX45 and 350Z share the same chassis I don't think it would be too hard to get the engine to fit. The engine has already been used in street rods successfully, so the knowledge to get them running in a non-stock application is out there.
I personally don't see anything wrong with motor swaps. I can understand wanting to keep a classic car original if it is a clean, original car, but if you have some old rust bucket or non-original car that would most likely be otherwise crushed, what is the problem? Some people just want to do things that are different or challenging even if they don't totally make sense. I personally think it is really interesting to see what cars will do with another car's engine.

Last edited by BigBadBuford; 10-23-2003 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Dissident

Why not go for this instead?

Old 10-23-2003, 11:52 PM
EnthuZiast

YES....muahahaha.....daddy likes!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:27 PM
nigevellie

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
lmao what's wrong with some people? Does this guy in the G35 think we're going to bow down to him when he's done or something? I could put an LS1 in my lawnmower. He will be laughed at and just proved to the world he doesnt have enough brains to make the 3.5l run.
Wildone hit the nail on the head. Glad I'm not the only sane one here
ok, man. we get the point. you don't like motor swaps. don't need to be insulting. to each their own, u know? i myself am not so mechanically inclined, but i do admire people with the guts and testicular fortitude to do what they do.

on the flipside, my quirk is that if you are gonna do a motor swap, swap within the company. gsr engine in a civic, rb26dett into a z, etc. i've seen the (Top Secret?) Supra with the Skyline engine, although i respect what the car itself can do, i just don't think it's right to "frankenstein" a car that much. i mean, what do you call that? Skyra? Supline? hehehe....
Old 10-24-2003, 01:37 PM
EnthuZiast

Instroducing the brand new SKUPRA GTRTT!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:04 PM
EnthuZiast

VQ here is that

BUMP!

Quick Reply: FX45 Engine in 350Z?