Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding rev above 4000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 05:57 AM
kelvin1704

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding rev above 4000 rpm

According to the manual, one should not rev above 4000 rpm before 2000KM.

My question is should actually rev above 4000 rpm after 2000KM but however, that is before the 1st oil change which is scheduale at 5000KM?

I heard that the engine oil that is currently inuse before the oil change is a special kind which would help the engine last longer.

But our engine oil chage is set at 5000km, so even after 2000km, should we hard drive or rev above 4000 rpm?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:20 AM
keiffer953

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't go over 4000 rpms before breakin, 1200 miles then go to town on it :-)
Old 10-24-2003, 06:29 AM
wakaZ

So does that mean that I lost the "special oil" because I changed it at 500 mi?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:50 AM
mxpx_8

Default Re: Question regarding rev above 4000 rpm

Originally posted by kelvin1704

I heard that the engine oil that is currently inuse before the oil change is a special kind which would help the engine last longer.

I too have heard of that....
Old 10-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Dissolved

No it's not special oil. I think the S2ks get special oil though. If it were special oil, service dept's would be changing oil before 2k. You can get on the car a little bit. But make sure oil is changed first. There are some metal shavings due to the break in period in the oil
Old 10-24-2003, 09:58 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldnt worry too much about any special oil. much like the breakin procedure it is a highly debated issue if either really exists. and despite many attempts I personally have never seen any dyno proof that a car that changed their oil at 30miles or a car that revved to 6600RPM off the lot had any less hp(or any more) than one that was driven according to the specification.

take the 1200miles to get used to the car, theres alot of power under that hood, and if you get on it before you have a feel for the handling, you might get into trouble. but if you accidently hit 4001RPM, dont worry the engine wont explode.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:07 AM
yooda

Yeah, I think the break in period is old school thinking. The idea being that all those newly machined parts in the engine needed to mate together properly so you had to be gentle.

These days machining techniques at those car manufacturing plants are so precise, some argue that the break in period has become irrelevant.

A buddy of mine that races cars for a living believes you should beat the heck out of your engine when you first get it to "break it in" properly.

After your first oil change, ask for the used oil filter. Tear it apart and look for anything out of the ordinary (like metal CHUNKS).

I myself babied the engine for the first 1.2K miles and then went to town. A few times I went over 4k rpm for fun.

Car runs fine.
Old 10-25-2003, 04:09 AM
kelvin1704

What is the scheduale first time oil change?

I am still wondering should i rev over 4000 rpm since mine just got over 2000 km
Old 10-25-2003, 04:39 AM
jor8888

U are supposed to drive it hard once a while even in the break in period. I took mine to 6k rpm at least once a day.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:06 AM
Jsn350Z

Hmm, this might sound stupid but when I was younger, my friend and I both got Go-Peds for xmas. Te manual said to break it in for the first 20-30 minutes. Ride around at half throttle. I did and he did not. After that mine was always faseter then his, even when we switched riders.

Probably does not applie with the break in with a car but hey I thought it was intresting.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:24 AM
ares
Veteran

you are not "supposed" to drive it hard. the owners manual clearly lays out the guidelines, and they say nothing about a daily trip to 6k. as I said, not to say you HAVE to break it in, it may not help, but if you do break it in, be aware that that includes not going to 6k

if you do go to 6k daily, its safe to say you chose the other path of not breaking it in.

also the engine does not have a sense of time, it doesnt heal, it doesnt understand "Days". you could rev to 6000 every day, or every minute, it wont know the difference, except that if it is damaging the engine, it will damage it worse, but the idea is that it doesnt damage the engine. so if your not gonna bother with the 4000k thing, just have fun. its all or nothin.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:44 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nope

Originally posted by jor8888
U are supposed to drive it hard once a while even in the break in period. I took mine to 6k rpm at least once a day.
This is bad advice and is directly opposite of what the Nissan recomends.

Nowhere does it say you are "supposed to" exceed the 4K limit. In fact it says DO NOT exceed 4K rpm until after 1200 miles. This advice presumably comes directly from the Nissan engineers.

As for hard break ins making fast motors, this is simply confirmation that a hard break in wears some internal parts down more/faster than a soft break in. All engines get stronger as they wear in and loosen up a little. By breaking it in hard you can probably accelerate this process (like a racer might need to do).

Racers often re-build or replace engines. They need them to be fast ASAP. A long slow break in is not a luxury they can afford.

On the other hand, my personal opinion is that with a hard break in you may be sacrificing longevity for an accelerated break in period. For a race car this may be desired since you want to win your FIRST race, not just later races. For me, I want me Z to last a LONG time, so I am going to do the easy break in schedule. (as much as it sucks doing it!).

As for the argument that modern machining is "so good" that all the parts are perfectly seated from the start.... That depends on what they spec. They _could_ spec it to be nearly perfect from the start, but that would be VERY expensive. The tighter the spec the more expensive the machining is. Or.... they could spec it to be "almost perfect" and then plan on an easy break in to do the final polishing/seating. On a car this fast and this inexpensive I am guessing that the machining is not the "spare no expense" style of machining.

I know from my shooting experience that even very nicely machined premium guns get smoother and better after you shoot them a while. I have n reason to think car parts are made any finer than fine gun parts.

This is sort of a "to each his own" topic. The above is just my opinion on it.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:32 AM
Vash350Z

improper break in can cause a car to have less hp, ive seen the dyno from a demo WRX that was lent out to different magazines, it was driven hard since the day one and it was dynoing at about 12hp less.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:13 PM
ares
Veteran

As for the argument that modern machining is "so good" that all the parts are perfectly seated from the start.... That depends on what they spec. They _could_ spec it to be nearly perfect from the start, but that would be VERY expensive. The tighter the spec the more expensive the machining is. Or.... they could spec it to be "almost perfect" and then plan on an easy break in to do the final polishing/seating. On a car this fast and this inexpensive I am guessing that the machining is not the "spare no expense" style of machining.
actually, I can 100% absolutly gaurentee that this is true. I took that little trip to the deckard engine plant and the purpose was to look over some grinding wheels which they were machining the cam shafts from. the plant was still new so they were having some major problems that the parts were going out of spec way too fast and they kept on having to resurface the wheels. but it is proof that they have a tolerable limit that the grinding wheels can be before the peice is no longer usable. in the perfect world every peice would come from an identically sized wheel and thus identical, but that isnt feasable.

they come CLOSE, particularly after the line is setup and working smoothly, but none the less at that point they just happen to get more parts machined before the peice is out of spec, not that they are all perfect.
Old 10-25-2003, 09:55 PM
mofoz

i never thought i would TRY to put miles on a car. im dying to get to the 1000 or 1200 mark ASAP. i got my 2004 track friday, and it had 6miles on it im already close to 200. Too bad i have to go to school and have to spend time away from my Z! anyways i dont think taking it easy for the first 1000 miles will hurt it, and since nissan says explicitly to do, why not just stick it out. it sucks but what r u gonna do.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:55 PM
kelvin1704

so the conclusion is should we rev over 4000 rpm after 2000km or wait till the next oil change?

what is the scheduale first oil change at?
Old 10-26-2003, 05:00 PM
iLLestJrz

Ahh Damm I rev it passed 4k before break in
Old 10-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by iLLestJrz
Ahh Damm I rev it passed 4k before break in
Don't worry about it. Just don't do it too much yet...
Old 10-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by kelvin1704
so the conclusion is should we rev over 4000 rpm after 2000km or wait till the next oil change?

what is the scheduale first oil change at?
Got mine changed at 1200mi by dealer. It was free
Old 10-26-2003, 08:08 PM
kelvin1704

is there a particualr better engine oil to put into? any recommend?

should i be changing the engine oil now?

Quick Reply: Question regarding rev above 4000 rpm