Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

SO, I started modding, and damn its expensive

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM
fat3oy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven1
You had some of us worrying man. But you're on the right track it seems.
BTW, one of my buddies knew LT willams... small world... rip indeed
Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Driven1
Professional

^^^You have a PM
Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM
dleariousz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPE22
^ i agree, that car isnt even the hottest Z on our local car forum lol. Theres like 4 Zs ahead of him right now including mine and superblacks'...So yea, his car is FAAR from being the hottest Z on my350z...but i agree that the mod list looks great! Keep it up and use this post as motivation to be even better
hahaha yall gotta not be so goulable( or however you spell it)
Old 03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Toby-22

gullible
Old 03-03-2010, 02:23 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dave079
+1 on tossing those POS headers. Should have done more research before just buying something. Most all headers arent even close to being worth the cost or install cost and trouble. They are the worst bang for the buck mod and Borla are the worst. Borla admitted to coming out with them with little to no R&D on them.
amen on worst install for the buck.

I would never again put headers on a Z/G unless i was pulling the engine. PERIOD!

It took less time to install my supercharger and less time to swap my built motor than it took to change the headers on my car while the engine was in.

It would easily be an 8 hour job from an exhaust shop which is extremely expensive. I would only change them if you were going FI. And in that case borla will be fine. Borla flow well which is waht you want in FI but they aren't designed properly (which is what is needed for a good tuned NA car)

good list of mods but in truth, sell those headers and spend teh money elsewhere because it's going to cost at least a grand to get those things installed.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Manjot

Binder is right. I would like to add one thing from my own personal experience, having spent lots of money as well!
Headers+Intakes= POS mods. Just add an exhaust and get a tune, best bang for the buck. Don't be stupid like I was. A good lesson learned.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 AM
dleariousz

Originally Posted by JPE22
gullible
thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
dleariousz

^^^ it was all a joke ppl!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by dleariousz
^^^ it was all a joke ppl!!!
Some are a little slower than others. LOL

It's also selective reading. They get all butthurt when they think they couldn't be "the best". The next thing you know... out come the knee jerk comments. "Whaaaaaa he's not the best!...I/My buddies is!".
Old 03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
dleariousz

^^^ ahahaha yea so true.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Manjot
Binder is right. I would like to add one thing from my own personal experience, having spent lots of money as well!
Headers+Intakes= POS mods. Just add an exhaust and get a tune, best bang for the buck. Don't be stupid like I was. A good lesson learned.
good info right here

You will far excede the cost of a tune with headers+install cost. Just put the exhaust on and use the rest of the money for a tune.

Truthfully you shouldn't install headers without a tune so no matter what you need a tune.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Driven1
Professional

Osirus/Uprev (tune)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
FineWine

Originally Posted by Manjot
Headers+Intakes= POS mods.
Intakes are great for engine dressup, so that's not really that fair Not to mention forced induction.

But yeah, by itself for itself, not so much.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
fat3oy

Osirus/Uprev (tune)
I'm getting a Cobb access-port, which I was assured can handle my FI route.

I have some traveling to do, and should have enough money when I get back to start on my procharger, I decided TO GET headers. Since I am getting the supercharger the headers would show a difference.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by fat3oy

I have some traveling to do, and should have enough money when I get back to start on my procharger, I decided TO GET headers. Since I am getting the supercharger the headers would show a difference.

DO NOT go with the Cobb Access port imo. If you had a GT-R I'd tell you yes but not for your Z. There are MUCH better options for you. There are MANY years experience and knowledge on this platform on these boards and VERY few use the access port...FWIW

If you're going FI visit the FI section of the boards...there is a LOT to learn there as well as some very knowledgeable people.

Start here....https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...for-noobs.html

Osiris/Uprev will work excellent (if not better) as well with FI and there is nothing external to it and runs through the factory ECU. The cool part...you get your N/A tune...then come back and get the FI or another N/A tune and you don't pay for the software liscence fee which is a couple hundred bucks. Since you already bought it it's on that ECU, it's just a simple retune with your additional mods. It handles FI very well btw.

If you have any specific questions about the procharger or your options there feel free to ask as well.

Last edited by Driven1; 03-04-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
fat3oy

YAAAAAYYYYY!!!! My first wave of mods is DONE!!!!!!!! Pictures tomorrow...

Borla TD
Enkei RPF1s (powder coated glossy black)
Bridgestone RE11s
Stillen HFCs
KW V2 Coilovers

Next wave: Sway bars, chassis rigidity, camber arms, cosworth manifold, lower plenum, and tune!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM
binder

like stated from others, opt for osiris over cobb. There are more tuners for osiris and it's a better platform. Best thing is you can switch maps with a flick of a button. For every map switch you have to reflash with the cobb which is a pain in the butt.

on another note, since you decided to keep the headers, i will strongly urge you to just suck it up and pull the engine. It truthfully will take less time. You have to drain the coolant either way.

How do you like that borla TD? I love mine, i think it's the best sounding exhaust for our cars. It keeps the unique sound of the vq, isn't a "hollow" sound like a ricer burner, and doesn't hum you to death when you're cruising on the highway.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
fat3oy

Originally Posted by binder
like stated from others, opt for osiris over cobb. There are more tuners for osiris and it's a better platform. Best thing is you can switch maps with a flick of a button. For every map switch you have to reflash with the cobb which is a pain in the butt.

on another note, since you decided to keep the headers, i will strongly urge you to just suck it up and pull the engine. It truthfully will take less time. You have to drain the coolant either way.

How do you like that borla TD? I love mine, i think it's the best sounding exhaust for our cars. It keeps the unique sound of the vq, isn't a "hollow" sound like a ricer burner, and doesn't hum you to death when you're cruising on the highway.
The advice on the Cobb is sound, but I am getting one as a stop gap for all my NA mods, when I switch to FI I will be going with a different tuner...

Ya, the headers are going to be a *****, but its something I am being hard headed on i guess...

The borla is so damn sweet... I considered taking out the resonators, but i figured everyone has a loud exhaust, the borla is just right. When i get the headers and procharger it will be louder and more aggressive anywayz
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 AM
Driven1
Professional

The advice on the Cobb is sound, but I am getting one as a stop gap for all my NA mods, when I switch to FI I will be going with a different tuner...

Ya, the headers are going to be a *****, but its something I am being hard headed on i guess...

The borla is so damn sweet... I considered taking out the resonators, but i figured everyone has a loud exhaust, the borla is just right. When i get the headers and procharger it will be louder and more aggressive anywayz
Out of curiosity. What was this "advice"?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 AM
fat3oy

Out of curiosity. What was this "advice"?
To not get it, and opt for something else like an Osiris

Quick Reply: SO, I started modding, and damn its expensive