Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Convince me to buy a 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:32 AM
hansel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince me to buy a 350Z

Hi there. As you can see, I'm new to the board. I currently own a turbo Honda Civic EX (automatic) and I am ready to move on to a better car in the next few months. I am torn between three options:

Nissan 350Z (Enthusiast model)
Pro:
- Cheapest choice out of the 3
- Most HP out of the 3
- Haven't heard any bad things about Nissan
Con:
- I like the body style from some angles, and from other angles I do not
- I live in Chicago (winters suck)

Honda S2000
Pro:
- To me, it is the best looking out of the 3
- Honda is a very reliable company. I have owned an Acura Integra and a Honda Civic and never had problems with them
Con:
- Most expensive out of the 3
- Least HP out of the 3
- I live in Chicago (winters suck)

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO
Pro:
- Body style is OK by me
- Turbo
- AWD
Con:
- Everyone I know who has owned a Mitsubishi has had many problems with them

If you guys could give me some opinions on what you would get between these 3... that would be great! And its ok if your answer is biased because I'm going to be posting this same message in other forums. Also, if you could add to the list of Pros and Cons, that would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Old 10-27-2003, 09:45 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all 3 are great cars, drive them all, you should know then which is best for you.

the Z is not for everyone, if this is a daily driver(sounds like it is) you may find the S2000 a bit small for your needs. storage is limited. but tho I havent done it, Im sure its a hoot to drive around on a track; IMO it is the most performance oriented car, even if it might not be the fastest... if that makes sense.

evo, great car, awd will be good for winters up there. downside, its pushing 18psi of boost stock. not to be negative on the car, cause it is great, but it is nothing more than an eclipse or galant with AWD and a big fat turbo. granted those 2 things do alot for it. I donno, might just be me, but it feels like a factory modified 4banger, not really a high performance machine. your car is a good example, what is the difference between your car and the evo? AWD obviously, anything else?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:55 AM
jgraeb01

I'm almost in the same boat as you ... though I'm not looking at the EVO at all. I'm trying to decide between the S2000 and the 350ZR ... though in my case, the 350ZR is the more expensive of the two. I like the body on the 350z better. Space wise, they're pretty close (vs the Roadster -- the Coupe has more space). It'd be a daily driver for me as well ... so, as you can see, I'm pretty torn.

I've driven the S2000 and Wow! It's a fun drive! I've been lurking around here for months just trying to learn about the 350z since I like the looks and interior better; however, I have yet to drive one. Local dealerships won't let you even sit in these things without a deposit.

Keep us posted on what you decide ... have you driven any of these cars?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:00 AM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you could also look at the crowd the car appeals to. I've had my Z for about a year now, and I've had people from low-mid 20's all the way up to a 65 year old at one time compliment me on the car. I usually talk with them for about 5 or 10 minutes and then move on my way, but the whole time they seem very interested. I cant speak that much for the S2k because I dont know anyone who has one. As for the EVO- when I'm in a crowd and we're discussing cars, the EVO comes up a lot. 90% of the people that talk about EVO's (at least the ones I've been around) seem to relate to Fast and the Furious movies. I was talking with a girl the other day, and we got into cars, after she found out what kind of car I drove she started busting out the movie lingo.
"So how fast is your car? 10 second car? 15 second car?" she didnt even ask about statistics or anything. Then she proceeded to tell me that the EVO was the fastest 4-cyl they make. It was disturbing to say the least. I think the EVO appeals to a much younger crowd, but rightfully so. Personally, I think all three are awesome cars, but for me, the Z came out on top. Great styling, "built for track performance", best interior, and best bang for the buck all put it over the top. Hope this helps!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:11 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget the only car with 6cylinders! that counts for something depending how far you plan to modify it.

S2k has comptech SC good for about 360hp
Z right now has procharger good for about 400-415hp.
evo... well obviously its already boosted to 18psi, but with a new turbo, or just a different chip on the same turbo, you could see some more.

difference is the Z has the most HP on the least boost. but if your not planning on boosting or modifying the in that way, it doesnt really matter now does it?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:34 AM
fanatic

I was choosing between the S2k and the 350ZR...I went with the ZR.......very happy with my choice....the S2K is a little more nimble and lighter, but it has NO personality, and the Z has 287 hp's and 6 cylinders stock....so I think in the long run it will be a more dependable car........plus, the S2k looks like an elongated Miata the Z is a piece of history.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:43 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Buy the S2000. You had good luck with Hondas before, you think it is the best looking, and it handles great.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:00 AM
showteg

Another bonus about the Evo is that Busher Racing has a Stage 4 kit for approx. $5500 that will net your car mid 11's, and 380 HP. Plus you'll have 3 extra sets of eyes with you in your car as you're wasting that pesky V8 that always disses on you because you're a 4 cyl.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Z, but the Evo has more space, and was made for the track. Plus AWD in the winter up here (Indiana) is gonna be a big bonus.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Pit Bull

You need to buy one of the new Toyota Forerunner V-8's 4x4's because of where you live. None of the cars will work in the winters you have in Chicago. If you do buy one make sure you budget for a set of real snow tires. If I lived in Chicago I would need 2 vehicles the 350Z for fun in the sun and a 4x4 for the snow and ugly times. Good luck. Have you thought of moving south???
Old 10-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Ralphus

If you need convincing from random people on a message board, don't buy it.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:18 AM
del105
15 f125

Depends on what your going to do with it.
If your looking for a track car, EVO all the way. It will simply destroy the s2000 and 350z around a track.

If you are looking for something to satisfy your mid life crisis the s2000 or 350z are excellent choices.

Seriously though, if I where going to buy a car I planned on driving to work and on dates as well as the track I'd have to say the 350z is probably your best choice. It has decent room, decent power, and is good looking.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:31 AM
marhot

Default Ditto, Ralphus...

I love my Z.

No one had to “convince” me of this love. It’s love man, true love. Love at first sight.

The first time I saw a photo of the Z in a magazine I knew I had to have it. I’ll never forget the night at a dealership when I saw her in person for the first time. It was like meeting your girlfriend/wife for the first time. Did some one have to convince you she was right for you?

Ralphus is right. If you need convincing, the Z isn’t the car for you.

Peace
Old 10-27-2003, 11:42 AM
jgraeb01

Just for the record, I think he's just looking for a tie-breaker in his search between the (3) vehicles mentioned. I think he really likes all of the vehicles ... he's just looking for something to lean him in one specific direction.

As someone suggested though, drive them all, and then choose. I've been trying to get some time behind the wheel of a 350ZR so I can compare to the S2k, but no go at the local dealerships yet -- which is why I haven't ordered a car. I also figure that since I've waited this long, I'd like to drive the 2004 S2k for comparison. I was lurking on s2ki.com and found that there does appear to be some significant differences between the 2003 and 2004 models.

Either way, a daily driver on either car (S2k and 350ZR) will have 'space issues' ... forget grocery shopping unless you want to make 7 trips :P
Old 10-27-2003, 12:13 PM
jedoublery

Either way, a daily driver on either car (S2k and 350ZR) will have 'space issues' ... forget grocery shopping unless you want to make 7 trips :P
Oh stop whining about space.
It's a spacious 2 seater, it's got plenty of trunk space, how much do you eat? You can totally fit 4 bags at the front seat and at least 10 more in the trunk.
If you had a 4 seater, whoever you put in the back will be either a)not that important to you, or b)ugly, thus you shouldn't give them a ride to start out with.

The point of having the Z is to be able to pull chicks with 4-door sedans (Lancers or Hondas), so when you need to haul people or things, you can always use her car.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:14 PM
jedoublery

Opps, he was referring to the roadster.....
In that case, at least you can grocery shop in style....
Old 10-27-2003, 12:18 PM
hokiemax

I was in your shoes 4 months ago. I was looking at the 350z and the S2000. I got the S2000 for the following reasons:

1. although they're both sports cars, S2000 feels quite different from the 350z. S2000 literally feels like a go cart, and after driving a sedan for 5 years, that small car, go cart feeling was exactly what I was looking for.

2. I wanted to try a convertible. (350z roadster is outta my price range)

3. I am familiar with the VQ engine since I drove a maxima. I wanted to try a high revving 4 cylinder engine.

4. s2000 looks good. No matter how much I liked the feel of the s2000, if it didint look almost as good as the 350z, i wouldnt have bought it.

5. leather and HID. Within my price range, I would have gotten an enthusiast 350z and those dont come with leather. And the HID, s2000 HID is much better than the 350z HID.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Splurt

Have u given thought of the WRX sti? Judging by what you liked about each car and your weather conditions up in Chicago, I'd probably go for the Evo, but since u worry about problems with the Evo have u done any research on a sti? They're performance are pretty much the same from what I've read and maybe Subaru's won't have much maitenance issues? I do kno the STi is boosted a bit lower than the evo 8. Sounds like u want something with a lil more room, but I'm just guessing. In terms of driving in snow, I don't think u want a Z. I've read buncha threads where ppl said they can't go anywhere in a Z in snow. But that's just my 2 cents. I live in CA so fortunately enough I don't have to worry about that. Take your time when making your decision, and be happy with the car you choose. G'luck
Old 10-27-2003, 12:59 PM
350zluvr

Default Re: Ditto, Ralphus...

Originally posted by marhot
I love my Z.

No one had to “convince” me of this love. It’s love man, true love. Love at first sight.

The first time I saw a photo of the Z in a magazine I knew I had to have it. I’ll never forget the night at a dealership when I saw her in person for the first time. It was like meeting your girlfriend/wife for the first time. Did some one have to convince you she was right for you?

Ralphus is right. If you need convincing, the Z isn’t the car for you.

Peace
That's beautiful man! (tear) absolutely beautiful!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Turcoupe

Originally posted by hokiemax
I was in your shoes 4 months ago. I was looking at the 350z and the S2000. I got the S2000 for the following reasons:

2. I wanted to try a convertible. (350z roadster is outta my price range)

5. leather and HID. Within my price range, I would have gotten an enthusiast 350z and those dont come with leather. And the HID, s2000 HID is much better than the 350z HID.

2004 Honda s2000 Roadster $33,260

2004 350z Roadster $34,390

(If $1,130 is going to break your bank then you shouldn't be shopping for a mid 30k sports car)

My HID's work perfect on my 350z. Last time I saw a s2000 on the road at night, it's HID's didn't look any better.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:34 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to help people & provide advice/info where i can.

On the other hand when someone says "Convince me to..." I don't respond well. I have no interest in convincing anyone on a board of anything. Ain't in the job description!

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy a 350Z