Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Navigation System Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 05:40 AM
zmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System Shut Down

I have a touring z with Nav. several times while driving along, the unit shuts down and the door remains open. I push any number of function buttons and it won't come back up. I push the button to shut the door, and reopen, do this maybe twice, and the screen will reappear (w/o the disclaimer step). I have set the display to "cont" so that shouldn't be the problem.

Anyone else experienced this with yours? It has happened on smooth road and bumpy road, so I can't associate it entirely to a skip in the DVD. I have had nav in by 02 Maxima and currently in our 04 and NEVER experienced a total shutdown of the unit.

I apologize if there are other threads on this; I'm at work and don't have time to search. If so, just direct me. Otherwise, I'm anxious to hear what the outcome was of any other problems like this with other cars.

Thanks,

srm
Old 10-31-2003, 07:34 AM
zeroday

I take it you have an 04' with the motorized navi cover. I have the 03' without the motorized door and haven't experienced that problem, nor have I heard of anyone else here with an 03' having that problem. Could be related to the new motorized door...time for a visit to your dealer .
Old 10-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Wedge

Default Haven't experienced the problem....

I have an '03 Touring with factory nav and have never had the problem you describe. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere and is probably not an inherant problem with the system in general, but rather an individual problem with your particular system.

I agree with zeroday, take it in and have it looked at by the dealer. Expect to make several trips because I have a feeling they will use their favorite comment on the repair slip........"Could Not Duplicate Problem"
Old 10-31-2003, 11:30 AM
zmann

I've got an appt. scheduled and I've tried to pre-empt that outcome by asking it first. In other words, I told him that he won't likely be able to replicate it, but it is in fact happening. I do have the motorized door and it occurred to me whether or not that is the issue. I went out at lunch and had it on the whole way, went over the same bumpy roads, and nothing happened. We'll see. Just what I don't need, eh?

srm
Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 AM
Jeff Holt

Default There is a spring on the top of the door

when this door goes back it makes a connection with a terminal and whalla, you have a picture. No connection, no picture. I was at the dealer and they had a fully loaded touring just sitting in the back collecting dust and when I inquired as to what was up he told what was the problem. Of course it wasnt until after they swapped it out with another unit that they discovered the problem. I hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:47 AM
zmann

Good information, there, Jeff. Next time this happens, I'll jiggle the door a bit and see if that does it. Actually, I guess I could do that with it on, too and see if that shuts it off. I hope you are on to something. That might explain why, after a couple of times afterwards it reappears. And because it goes right to the map picture and not back through the disclaimer screen, it tells me that the map itself is not shutting down, i.e., the player. It appears to be purely a display function issue. Thanks, again. Will let people know what I find!!

P.S., I also replicated my post on the roadster forum, not knowing which would garner the most replies, but felt like it would be within this one.

srm
Old 10-31-2003, 11:50 AM
Jeff Holt

Talking Glad to be of assistance.

Old 10-31-2003, 03:03 PM
zmann

Default Re: There is a spring on the top of the door

Originally posted by Jeff Holt
when this door goes back it makes a connection with a terminal and whalla, you have a picture. No connection, no picture. I was at the dealer and they had a fully loaded touring just sitting in the back collecting dust and when I inquired as to what was up he told what was the problem. Of course it wasnt until after they swapped it out with another unit that they discovered the problem. I hope this helps.
BINGO!!! On the way home, I tugged the open door a bit and I could get it to lose the display and bring it back by shifting it around. That's what is causing it. At least now I know, and I can decide whether I can live with it. Not sure what they might do as a fix...might just wait ona TSB.

Thanks for the feedback...any body else experiences this type of problem, you can probably bet this is the cause!

Once again, the forum doing what it is designed to do! Thanks,

srm